• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

It would seem it is fair to say humans have wanted there to be a god

FievelJ

Basic Beliefs
May The Force Be With You, (Atheist)
Subject is almost too long, but since about 6,000 years or so after evolution, I was reading that humans have been making up gods since about 6,000 or 7,000 years later. It was something I was skimming though when I was trying to learn more about religion.

I do know that Japan believes in pretty much a different god for each element.
China also has beliefs in more than one god too.
And even though Christians wouldn't claim Jesus is a god, in my book if you are born of a god, you are automatically are a god.
But the god idea appeared to go back 100s of thousands of years somehow. And what I noticed seemed to be a short time we actually lived and survived without a god belief.

If I am wrong, like by all means correct me, I am not a Christian who will through a fit if you say something against Christianity, it is actually the religion I dropped to be atheist.

The other reason I guess I am posting this is for some conversation with others, and like communicating with other like minded people.

May The Force Be With You, And Thanks Fur Reading. ;) :)

I think humans have always used god as a placeholder for ignorance. The ancient Greeks believed in many gods too, including the sun and moon, but one of them demurred. He said the moon was just a rock. When asked what he thought the sun was, he said it was a “hot rock.” The ancient roots of naturalism.

I think humans have always used god as a placeholder for ignorance.
That's good!
The Big 7 (Hinduism, Judaism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism, Christianity, and Islam) had spawn times between about 2000BCE and 600 CE, and so were, effectively, pre-science and pre-medicine. The modern situation of major societies where the mass populations have enough to eat and domiciles and, in the West anyway, a conception of human rights, was not where most humans found themselves.
I'd still like to think there were unbelievers, even in extremely orthodox settings; first, because there are always going to be a few ornery, snarky characters in any large group (they should be our heroes, but they'd probably tell us to fuck off), and second, because the bedrock scriptures to some of the Big 7 bitch about the unbelievers and promise them damnation.

There were a number of early Greek thinkers who were atheists, or who believed that while the gods may possibly exist, they had nothing to do with humans and there was no afterlife.

Assuming that unexplained phenomena are the result of agency is a survival trait.

We are descended from the apes who saw the long grass waving and thought "I bet that's caused by a tiger*". The ones who thought "It's probably nothing, just the wind", could have been right nine times out of ten, but they still wouldn't have had as many surviving offspring as the ones who were only right one time out of ten.

Avoiding the long grass doesn't have much of a negative effect. Certainly not enough of one to outweigh the positive effect of avoiding a tiger.

Ascribing agency to unexplained phenomena is rarely as dangerous in the long run as failing to do so can be.

* Either an actual tiger (Panthera Tigris Tigris), or a warrior of an opposing tribe who have the nickname "The tigers" - the latter being likely more dangerous than the former.

I think humans have always used god as a placeholder for ignorance. The ancient Greeks believed in many gods too, including the sun and moon, but one of them demurred. He said the moon was just a rock. When asked what he thought the sun was, he said it was a “hot rock.” The ancient roots of naturalism.
Part of the reason there's 10,000 of them, make any sense?
I think humans have always used god as a placeholder for ignorance.
That's good!
The Big 7 (Hinduism, Judaism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism, Christianity, and Islam) had spawn times between about 2000BCE and 600 CE, and so were, effectively, pre-science and pre-medicine. The modern situation of major societies where the mass populations have enough to eat and domiciles and, in the West anyway, a conception of human rights, was not where most humans found themselves.
I'd still like to think there were unbelievers, even in extremely orthodox settings; first, because there are always going to be a few ornery, snarky characters in any large group (they should be our heroes, but they'd probably tell us to fuck off), and second, because the bedrock scriptures to some of the Big 7 bitch about the unbelievers and promise them damnation.
Hinduism I believe was always and probably still is the Native American today, I bet they still believe in that.
I myself use to be Christian, but dropped that one realizing you could put it away like a book in 10,000.

I have had someone claim things are only 6,000 years old, and I just stopped right there. But the right number was corrected to 13.7 billion by NASA. Look at religion, and it is still a small area on the timeline. The youngest just about.

next i believe. thanks.
There were a number of early Greek thinkers who were atheists, or who believed that while the gods may possibly exist, they had nothing to do with humans and there was no afterlife.
Also some like me as I am a nobody, but the way I ended up atheist, is considering the number of religions first. It fell together, and I realized how little chance there's a god.
Assuming that unexplained phenomena are the result of agency is a survival trait.

We are descended from the apes who saw the long grass waving and thought "I bet that's caused by a tiger*". The ones who thought "It's probably nothing, just the wind", could have been right nine times out of ten, but they still wouldn't have had as many surviving offspring as the ones who were only right one time out of ten.

Avoiding the long grass doesn't have much of a negative effect. Certainly not enough of one to outweigh the positive effect of avoiding a tiger.

Ascribing agency to unexplained phenomena is rarely as dangerous in the long run as failing to do so can be.

* Either an actual tiger (Panthera Tigris Tigris), or a warrior of an opposing tribe who have the nickname "The tigers" - the latter being likely more dangerous than the former.
The Ape type I already looked up, just don't know how to pronounce it.
But yeah mixed breeding over the years made us, not a god(s).
Might as well smoke that last bit of weed. The 700 club is on my TV, Let's Make A Deal is coming on.
That program is a Christian program, it is going off. LOL.

Mute.

Too many religions, just not true, as evolution is true, and atheists know it.

Thanks Fur Reading Everyone.
:)

Back
Top Bottom