• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Jazz of the New Millennium

rousseau

Contributor
Most of my listening has been confined to the greats of the modern era, lots of Bill Evans, Gerry Mulligan, the occasional Coltrane to fuck me up, Chet Baker, Parker. And sometimes I go a little further back to Armstrong, Hawkins, Young, Holiday.

Jazz musicians who are making relevant jazz today I'm a little more in the dark about. A few names I've listened to a bit:

• Stanley Cowell
  • Wynton Marsalis
  • Kamasi Washingon
  • Jose James
  • Fred Hersch
There are also a number who I've checked out via Ted Goia's many best of lists but whose names escape me now.

Curious what others are listening to? Do we have any unknown world class musicians that I've missed?

Going the Google route:

Twenty Perfect Albums of the 21st Century

Listened to a bit of John Abercrombie last night, good stuff.

It's a bit counter-intuitive but it seems like there are actually more quality jazz musicians out there today, they're just harder to find, and don't usually hit the mainstream.

I find Wayne Shorter a joy to listen to.

If you get a chance, the Modeski, Martin and Wood with John Scofield is jazz with a groove.

If you like John Abercombrie, try Ralph Towner. I also enjoy Gary Burton's work.

And Stefan Bollaini is an interesting jazz artist.

I admit I don't keep up with younger artists.

There's so much good old stuff.

I heard an interesting Randy Weston album on wkcr, from the 90's with Christian McBride, Earth Birth. Recorded live with 24 strings. I'm interested in these Jazz-classical fusions. This one is better than average.

Drummer Makaya McCraven's 2015 album In The Moment is one that I've been enjoying lately.

[YOUTUBE]erMYVD57Xs4[/YOUTUBE]

Donny McCaslin and his band, who performed the music on David Bowie's Blackstar, is another current act that I've been listening to a bit lately.

[YOUTUBE]oIbFjfH0erI[/YOUTUBE]

I admit I don't keep up with younger artists.

There's so much good old stuff.

I heard an interesting Randy Weston album on wkcr, from the 90's with Christian McBride, Earth Birth. Recorded live with 24 strings. I'm interested in these Jazz-classical fusions. This one is better than average.

In the last month or so I've started to really explorer older artists. Think I need to focus on the breadth of stuff I haven't heard pre new millennium before I delve too far into newer stuff, because as you say.. there are a lot of very, very good records out there.

Back
Top Bottom