• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Jazz Pianists

Good choice.

If I had to pick only one, it'd have to Herbie Hancock.

One classic solo from 1964, begins at 11:28:

Good choice.

Will need to find some albums of his.

If I may ask, what's your background? You seem pretty well versed musically. Is that interest, professional, academic?

Good choice.

Will need to find some albums of his.

If I may ask, what's your background? You seem pretty well versed musically. Is that interest, professional, academic?

If you get into Herbie, most of his influential stuff is from the 60s and most of that is as a sideman.

Herbie played with the second great Miles Davis Quintet with Tony Williams and Ron Carter. An incredibly influential band, all of their recordings are good.

He also led a few albums during that time.

One great album led by Lee Morgan, called Cornbread, has this brilliant intro:

And every jazz musician knows Wayne Shorter's Speak No Evil, which is kind like the Miles Davis quintet( but Freddie Hubbard instead of Miles), only with Elvin Jones on drums.

Lennie Tristano, brilliant, influenced Herbie Hancock and Keith Jarrett, but you rarely hear him these days, even on wkcr.

And speaking of Keith Jarrett, he was heavily influenced by John Coates Jr, house pianist at the Deer Head Inn:

thelonious monk
Chick corea
Count basie
Horace silver
Oscar Petersson
Michel Petrucciani
Dave Brubeck
Ahmed jahmal
Monty alexander
Nina simone

I also love the previously-mentioned Evans, Peterson, and Monk. Would like to add Jaki Byard and Vince Guaraldi to the list.

I know Bill Evans has tons of fans, but outside of his work with Miles, I find him a snooze. I don't hear the blues/bop roots in his playing. For much the same reasons, I have little interest in Brubeck. Both are accomplished, both could compose -- they just aren't playing my flavor.
Some prime players who deserve to be better known: Duke Pearson, Elmo Hope (major, major talent), Sonny Clark (check out his Leapin' and Lopin' on Blue Note) and Phineas Newborn (do whatever it takes to get his Great Jazz Piano of Phineas Newborn, Jr. on OJC.)

I know Bill Evans has tons of fans, but outside of his work with Miles, I find him a snooze. I don't hear the blues/bop roots in his playing. For much the same reasons, I have little interest in Brubeck. Both are accomplished, both could compose -- they just aren't playing my flavor.
Some prime players who deserve to be better known: Duke Pearson, Elmo Hope (major, major talent), Sonny Clark (check out his Leapin' and Lopin' on Blue Note) and Phineas Newborn (do whatever it takes to get his Great Jazz Piano of Phineas Newborn, Jr. on OJC.)

Sonny's Crib has long been one of my favorites.

Bill Evans is my favorite. I also like to listen to Keith Jarret, Art Tatum, Oscar Peterson, and Brad Mehldau.

Re: Bootlegs -- go to Google and search for Crimson records argentina -- you will find a website with tons of boots on CD/DVD, altho' the jazz pickings are slim -- I have used them for rock music only but I know they have some Miles, and maybe more.

Back
Top Bottom