• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Jerry Falwell Jr. opens up about pool boy scandal, says the whole evangelical thing was just an act

Potoooooooo

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist

Jerry Falwell Jr. and his wife, Becki, are finally opening up about that whole pool boy scandal that destroyed their sterling reputation among evangelicals, crushed their powerful influence in the Republican party, and led to Jerry’s resignation from Liberty University in August 2020.

Speaking to Vanity Fair, the Falwells now admit the whole evangelical power couple thing was an act and that they never lived by the values they purported to, as if that wasn’t already totally obvious to anyone who saw those photos of Jerry at a Miami circuit party or the footage of him partying on that yacht with his pants open.
“Because of my last name, people think I’m a religious person,” Jerry tells the magazine. “But I’m not.”
“We had to put on an act,” adds Becki.

But...you didn't.
People make all SORTS of assumptions, and sometimes grownups have to say, "No, no, no, no, I don't ____."
Worship that way, worship at all, smoke it no more, keep Kosher, sacrifice to the volcano, whatever.

One of the more amusing aspects of notorious people is they believe they can mold and sculpt public perception by talking about their situation. It never works the way they want.

One of the more amusing aspects of notorious people is they believe they can mold and sculpt public perception by talking about their situation. It never works the way they want.
Really? I very much doubt the Vanity Fair interview was an unresearched PR maneuver that wasn't part of a larger PR rebuilding plan developed by people that get paid well to restore the images of assholes.

Another evangelical grifter, is that really surprising to any of us? Just this morning, I was telling a Christian friend about a dear little patient I used to visit back in the late 1970s. She lived in public housing, and was very poor. But, her coffee table was scattered with little shit she had received from television evangelist organizations, where she had sent a little bit of money. It pissed me off that these grifters knew how to take advantage of a poor, gullible, 90 year old lady. Poor people are usually far more generous than wealthy people, and I think these grifters know that.

If you can't do anything beneficial for humanity, become an evangelical preacher who manipulates his congregation with fear, shame and guilt. Then pocket all that money that your congregation gave you in return for telling them they are headed for heaven. No sense in helping the poor or. healing the sick like your good book tells you to do.

There was a guy named Margo Gorther. His parents were traveling Pe4ntecostals that held revivals in tenrs.

He wrote a book on it. As a kid they had him memorize 'visions' he woud have at the meetings. They sewed deep pockets in his pants for people to stuffed money in when he walked through the crowd.

It is all an act.

I read his book in the 70s and his documentary may be online.

Hugh Marjoe Ross Gortner (born January 14, 1944) is a former evangelist preacher and actor. He first gained public attention during the late 1940s when his parents arranged for him to be ordained as a preacher at age four, due to his extraordinary speaking ability. He was the youngest known in that position. As a young man, he preached on the revival circuit and brought celebrity to the revival movement.[1]

He became a celebrity again during the 1970s when he starred in Marjoe (1972), a behind-the-scenes documentary about the lucrative business of Pentecostal preaching, which won the 1972 Academy Award for Best Documentary Film. That documentary now is noted as one of the most vehement criticisms of Pentecostal preaching.[2]

Gortner spent the remainder of his teenage years as an itinerant beatnik.[12] Hard pressed for money in his early twenties, he decided to put his old skills to work and re-emerged on the preaching circuit with a charismatic stage show modeled after those of contemporary rock stars, most notably Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones. He made enough money to take six months off every year, during which he returned to California and lived off his earnings before returning to the circuit.[citation needed]

In the late 1960s, Gortner experienced a crisis of conscience about his double life. He decided his performing talents might be put to use as an actor or singer. When approached by documentarians Howard Smith and Sarah Kernochan, he agreed to let their film crew follow him throughout 1971 on a final tour of revival meetings in California, Texas, and Michigan.

Unknown to everyone involved – including, at one point, his father – he gave "backstage" interviews to the filmmakers between sermons and revivals, some including other preachers, explaining intimate details of how he and other ministers operated. The filmmakers also shot footage of him while counting the money he had collected during the day, later in his hotel room. The resulting film, Marjoe, won the 1972 Academy Award for Best Documentary.[13]

Gortner capitalized on the success of the documentary.[4] Oui magazine hired him to cover Millennium '73, a November 1973 festival headlined by the "boy guru" Guru Maharaj Ji.[14] He cut an LP with Chelsea Records entitled Bad, but Not Evil,[15] named after his description of himself in the documentary.[5]

He began his acting career with a featured role in The Marcus-Nelson Murders, the 1973 pilot for the Kojak TV series.[16] In 1974, he made several appearances in film and television. In the disaster film, Earthquake, he was Sgt. Jody Joad,[17] a psychotic grocery manager-turned-National Guardsman, the main antagonist. He starred in the television movies The Gun and the Pulpit and Pray for the Wildcats, and appeared in an episode of Nakia, a 1974 police drama on ABC.

Gortner portrayed the psychopathic, hostage-taking drug dealer in Milton Katselas's 1979 screen adaptation of Mark Medoff's play When You Comin' Back, Red Ryder?. He starred in a number of B-movies including Bobbie Jo and the Outlaw (1976),[16] The Food of the Gods (1976),[4] and Starcrash (1978).

In the early 1980s, Gortner hosted the short-lived reality TV series, Speak Up, America.[18] He also appeared frequently in the 1980s Circus of the Stars specials.[19] He also played a terrorist preacher in a second-season episode of Airwolf, and appeared on Falcon Crest as corrupt psychic-cum-medium "Vince Karlotti" (1986–87).[18] His last role was as a preacher in the western Wild Bill (1995).

It pissed me off that these grifters knew how to take advantage of a poor, gullible, 90 year old lady. Poor people are usually far more generous than wealth

Heh.
My dear departed mother-in-law had that problem.
She lived on a pittance. My partner and I often paid her light bill or something because another sibling really needed that $75.

Since she died, we've gotten lots of mail addressed to her. Pleas for money from religious grifters. I've taken great pleasure in filling out the "change of address" sections with HEAVEN. She's gone to heaven dammit! You aren't getting any more of her money, that mostly comes from her non-theist children! FUCK you and the prophet you rode in on!

Sometimes I write notes on the front of the letter, that comes with the pre-addressed and stamped envelope. I've gotten a lot of anger out by writing those notes. I'm quite capable of being vicious and articulate and responding to exactly what they wrote to her in the letter.

Some of those notes were rather cathartic.
Tom

Jerry Falwell Jr. and his wife, Becki, are finally opening up about that whole pool boy scandal that destroyed their sterling reputation among evangelicals, crushed their powerful influence in the Republican party, and led to Jerry’s resignation from Liberty University in August 2020.

Speaking to Vanity Fair, the Falwells now admit the whole evangelical power couple thing was an act and that they never lived by the values they purported to, as if that wasn’t already totally obvious to anyone who saw those photos of Jerry at a Miami circuit party or the footage of him partying on that yacht with his pants open.
“Because of my last name, people think I’m a religious person,” Jerry tells the magazine. “But I’m not.”
Well--nobody can say I haven't tried to warn people about the con game that religion is. No doubt the faithful will continue to "give." Those of us with brains know better.

Really? I very much doubt the Vanity Fair interview was an unresearched PR maneuver that wasn't part of a larger PR rebuilding plan developed by people that get paid well to restore the images of assholes.
That's very much what it is, and it won't work as intended, as evidenced by this thread.

That's very much what it is, and it won't work as intended, as evidenced by this thread.
Jim and Tammy Baker wrote the book on how to grift then went to jail. Then they came out and people kept sending them money in their new ministry. Einstein was right about the infinity that is human stupidity. Stupidity in this case would be a kind of bipolar behavior enabled by the condition of my prefontal cortex.

Jesus never had a job did he?

He taught his disciples to be 'fishers of men', the original Christian scam?

Jim and Tammy Baker wrote the book on how to grift then went to jail. Then they came out and people kept sending them money in their new ministry. Einstein was right about the infinity that is human stupidity. Stupidity in this case would be a kind of bipolar behavior enabled by the condition of my prefontal cortex.
Falwelljr has an acute case of PK*. He was never a minister or evangelical. He kept his head down for most of his life, went to law school and went with the flow. If he had gone to Bible College and taken to the cloth, all his peccadillos and perversions would have been carefully concealed. Now, he's free of all that, but the cost was a humiliating exposure of his personal life. So, in typical rich guy fashion, he wants to rehabilitate his reputation with a combination of "Hey, I'm just an ordinary man", with a touch of victimhood. Nice try, but everybody still thinks he's a perve who gets off watching his wife have sex with the pool boy. That's the problem with a pool boy. Cute when he's a puppy, but quickly grows up to be just another wet dog.

*Preacher's kid

Anybody remember Falwell vs Larry Flynt/Hustler Magazine?

It was an important free speech decision that ruled in favor of paradox and satire as protected political speech.

Hustler had a cartoon mocking Falwell.

The COTUS decision is online, a good read for those of us who from time to time mock religious figures.

Anybody remember Falwell vs Larry Flynt/Hustler Magazine?

It was an important free speech decision that ruled in favor of paradox and satire as protected political speech.

Hustler had a cartoon mocking Falwell.
Well, an account purportedly written by Falwell, including his desire to have sex with his Mom. I forget the other details. Did he want to molest collies or was that Ted Baxter?

Back
Top Bottom