• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Jesus Christ's Sins

This is using the Negative Confessions of the Papyrus of Ani, from perhaps around 1200 BCE. It is perhaps the best-known Egyptian funerary text, full of instructions for finding one's way in the next world, like spells to change your shape into a hawk or a heron or a horned snake or a water lily (or lotu, and a spell to keep you from dying again.

I'm using both Neil Parker's translation, and E.A. Wallis Budge's old translation, in that order.

O Far-strider, who comes forth from Heliopolis, I have not done wrong.
Hail, Usekh-nemmt, who comest forth from Anu, I have not committed sin.
Doubtful at best.
Guilty

O Embracer of Fire, who comes forth from Kher-Aha, I have not committed violent robbery.
Hail, Hept-khet, who comest forth from Kher-aha, I have not committed robbery with violence.
Innocent

O Nose, who comes forth from Hermopolis, I have not stolen.
Hail, Fenti, who comest forth from Khemenu, I have not stolen.
There is that colt and that donkey that he rode into Jerusalem on...
Guilty

O Eater of Shadows, who comes forth from Qernet, I have not slain people.
Hail, Am-khaibit, who comest forth from Qernet, I have not slain men and women.
Innocent

O Stinking Face, who comes forth from Re-Staw, I have not stolen offerings.
Hail, Neha-her, who comest forth from Rasta, I have not stolen grain.
Innocent

O Double Lion-God, who comes forth from the sky, I have not pilfered.
Hail, Ruruti, who comest forth from heaven, I have not purloined offerings.
Innocent

O He whose Eyes Are As Fire, who comes forth from Sais, I have not stolen the property of the god.
Hail, Arfi-em-khet, who comest forth from Suat, I have not stolen the property of God.
Innocent

O Burner, who comes forth from behind, I have not spoken lies.
Hail, Neba, who comest and goest, I have not uttered lies.
I don't think that Jesus Christ was an outright liar.
Innocent

O Breaker of Bones, who comes forth from Heliopolis, I have not seized food.
Hail, Set-qesu, who comest forth from Hensu, I have not carried away food.
Innocent

O Commander of Flame, who comes forth from Memphis, I have not cursed.
Hail, Utu-nesert, who comest forth from Het-ka-Ptah, I have not uttered curses.
He cursed a certain fig tree when it was not in season for figs when he was hungry:
"May you never bear fruit again!"
And we are told that that tree died (Matt 21:18-19).
Guilty

O God of the Cave, who comes forth from the west, I have not committed fornication.
Hail, Qerrti, who comest forth from Amentet, I have not committed adultery, I have not lain with men.
He never showed much interest in any sort of sex.
Innocent

O He Whose Face Is Behind Him, who comes froth from his chamber, I have not caused weeping.
Hail, Her-f-ha-f, who comest forth from thy cavern, I have made none to weep.
He made his parents upset by staying at the Jerusalem Temple and studying, but that does not seem to have been deliberate.
Innocent

O Bast, who comes forth from the sarcophagus, I have not devoured my heart.
Hail, Basti, who comest forth from Bast, I have not eaten the heart.
Huh?
Innocent

O Burning Feet, who comes forth from darkness, I have not trespassed.
Hail, Ta-retiu, who comest forth from the night, I have not attacked any man.
Innocent

O Eater of Blood, who comes forth from the execution block, I have not behaved wickedly.
Hail, Unem-snef, who comest forth from the execution chamber, I am not a man of deceit.
Innocent

O Eater of Intestines, who comes forth from the court of the thirty judges, I have not robbed farmland.
Hail, Unem-besek, who comest forth from Mabit, I have not stolen cultivated land.
Innocent

O Lord of Truth, who comes forth from the hall of truth, I have not eavesdropped.
Hail, Neb-Maat, who comest forth from Maati, I have not been an eavesdropper.
He was not known for listening in on other people's conversations or otherwise spying on other people.
Innocent

O Wanderer, who comes forth from Bubastis, I have not slandered.
Hail, Tenemiu, who comest forth from Bast, I have not slandered [no man].
Innocent

O Sower, who comes forth from Heliopolis, I have not been angry without cause.
Hail, Sertiu, who comest forth from Anu, I have not been angry without just cause.
He got furious at those who would not listen to him, certain Temple merchants, and a certain fig tree.
Guilty

O Evil of His Evil, who comes forth from the Busirites nome, I have not made love with the wife of [another] man.
Hail, Tutu, who comest forth from Ati (the Busirite Nome), I have not debauched the wife of any man.
Innocent

O Serpent, who comes forth from the slaughterhouse, I have not made love with the wife of [another] man.
Hail, Uamenti, who comest forth from the Khebt chamber, I have not debauched the wife of [any] man.
Innocent

O He Who Sees What Has Been Brought, who comes forth from Panopolis, I have not ejaculated.
Hail, Maa-antuf, who comest forth from Per-Menu, I have not polluted myself.
This apparently asks about ejaculating over oneself as a result of masturbating, but that is unclear.
Innocent

O One Who Is Over the Great Ones, who comes forth from the tree, I have not caused terror.
Hail, Her-uru, who comest forth from Nehatu, I have terrorized none.
He threw a certain Temple temper tantrum.
Guilty

O Overthrower, who comes forth from Canopus, I have not trespassed.
Hail, Khemiu, who comest forth from Kaui, I have not transgressed [the law].
Guilty

O Speaker Of Words, who comes forth from Werit, I have not been hot with anger.
Hail, Shet-kheru, who comest forth from Urit, I have not been wroth.
Guilty

O Child, who comes forth from the nome of Heliopolis[?], I have not been deaf to words of truth.
Hail, Nekhenu, who comest forth from Heqat, I have not shut my ears to the words of truth.
He was not known for stubbornly rejecting good advice.
Innocent

O Darkness, who comes forth from the Oasis of Khargah, I have not spoken out.
Hail, Kenemti, who comest forth from Kenmet, I have not blasphemed.
Innocent

O He Who Brings Peace, who comes forth from Sais, I have not brought forth violence.
Hail, An-hetep-f, who comest forth from Sau, I am not a man of violence.
That Temple temper tantrum was certainly violent.
Guilty

O Preparer of Voice, who comes forth from Wenist, I have not disturbed the peace.
Hail, Sera-kheru, who comest forth from Unaset, I have not been a stirrer up of strife.
Not only that Temple temper tantrum, but he claimed that he was going to break up everybody's families and set family members against each other.
Guilty

O Lord of Faces, who comes forth from Nedjeft, I have not hastened my heart.
Hail, Neb-heru, who comest forth from Netchfet, I have not acted with undue haste.
Innocent

O Teacher, who comes forth from Weten, I have not eavesdropped.
Hail, Sekhriu, who comest forth from Uten, I have not pried into matters.
Innocent

O Lord of Horns, who comes forth from Sais, I have not made my voice numerous with words.
Hail, Neb-abui, who comest forth from Sauti, I have not multiplied my words in speaking.
He does not seem to have been excessively talkative.
Innocent

O Nefertem, who comes forth from Memphis, I have not sinned, nor caused misery.
Hail, Nefer-Tem, who comest forth from Het-ka-Ptah, I have wronged none, I have done no evil.
Guilty

O Atum-Sepu, who comes forth from Busiris, I have not spoken out against the king.
Hail, Tem-Sepu, who comest forth from Tetu, I have not worked witchcraft against the king.
Innocent

O He Who Acts According To His Heart, who comes forth from Atfih, I have not held up water.
Hail, Ari-em-ab-f, who comest forth from Tebu, I have never stopped [the flow of] water.
He does not seem to have done anything with irrigation water.
Innocent

O Prince, who comes forth from the Celestial Ocean, I have not raised up my voice.
Hail, Ahi, who comest forth from Nu, I have never raised my voice.
His temper tantrums suggest otherwise.
Guilty

O One Who Makes The People Flourish, who comes forth from Sais, I have not spoken out against the god.
Hail, Uatch-rekhit, who comest forth from Sau, I have not cursed God.
Innocent

O Subjugater of the Ka, who comes forth from his chamber, I have not exalted feebleness.
Hail, Neheb-ka, who comest forth from thy cavern, I have not acted with arrogance.
Hard to say.
Innocent

O Subjugater of Beauty, who comes forth from his chamber, I have not stolen the bread of the gods.
Hail, Neheb-nefert, who comest forth from thy cavern, I have not stolen the bread of the gods.
Innocent

O Holy of Head, who comes forth from the shrine, I have not taken the sacrifical bread of the glorified spirits.
Hail, Tcheser-tep, who comest forth from the shrine, I have not carried away the khenfu cakes from the Spirits of the dead.
Innocent

O Bringer of his Arm, who comes forth from the hall of truth, I have not taken a child's bread, nor belittled[?] the god of my town.
Hail, An-af, who comest forth from Maati, I have not snatched away the bread of the child, nor treated with contempt the god of my city.
Innocent

O White of Teeth, who comes forth from the Fayyum, I have not slain the divine cattle.
Hail, Hetch-abhu, who comest forth from Ta-she (the Fayyum), I have not slain the cattle belonging to the god.
Innocent

Score:
Innocent: 31
Guilty: 11

Buddha? Papyrus of Ani? Solon of Athenia?
I see you aren't even making any effort to measure sin in terms of biblical theism - Gods measure of sin.
What a pathetic straw argument.
/thread

Buddha? Papyrus of Ani? Solon of Athenia?
Why not?
I see you aren't even making any effort to measure sin in terms of biblical theism - Gods measure of sin.
What a pathetic straw argument.
/thread
I did point out that he violated some of the two sets of Ten Commandments in the Old Testament. Like how disrespectful of human parents he was, and how he worked on the Sabbath.

On the whole a normal teenager "snotty to his parents" and an above-average decent human being.

(I confess that my sloth did not allow me to count the pluses and minuses exactly.)

Mark 4, Luke 8, Matthew 13.

Why did Jesus speak in parables?

atthew 13
11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:
15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Uhmmmm, isn't it his job as Messiah to save people?

Back
Top Bottom