• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Jussie Smollet - Horrible Hate Crime or Horrible Case of TDS?

Look, slavery was abolished, however, people today (regardless of color) or working for what I consider slave wages. The abolishment of the police doesn't necessarily mean it will cease to exist in all forms. Yall really need to calm down that take on the call for abolishment. Number one, it's meant to incite emotional responses and get people talking which worked. Number two, a total overhaul of how law enforcement works would inherently be the abolishment of the current law enforcement as we know it.

I personally, know how important law enforcement is and consider myself on your side of the abolishment debate but I'm not going to ignore the problems within our law enforcement that cause a man in a wheelchair to get shot 9 god damn times.
I don't disagree with you. We can reform and make better almost any institution in the country. We could get better police by better training and if we paid them more. But we need the police. I came from an incredibly poor neighborhood dominated by gangs and drugs. If anything, we didn't get enough police in our area. Regardless: defund the police is wildly unpopular and an incredible political advantage to the republicans. This and other issues are going to kill the dems in 2022.

Look, slavery was abolished, however, people today (regardless of color) or working for what I consider slave wages.
What do you consider "slave wages" exactly an why?

The abolishment of the police doesn't necessarily mean it will cease to exist in all forms.
That's exactly what it means? Why is it so hard for some of you to take the abolitionists at their word?
Yes, We Mean Literally Abolish the Police
That their goals are unrealistic does not mean that that's what their goals are.

Yall really need to calm down that take on the call for abolishment. Number one, it's meant to incite emotional responses and get people talking which worked. Number two, a total overhaul of how law enforcement works would inherently be the abolishment of the current law enforcement as we know it.
Yes, we are talking about it, but not all attention is good attention.
And "overhaul" is different than abolition. Not that I think a "total overhaul" is necessary or even beneficial.
The biggest problem is not the police anyway. They merely enforce the laws that the politicians write.
Police would not be doing completely useless things like pretending to be sex workers or customers in order to entrap people if politicians did not pass laws outlawing sex work. Just as an example.

I personally, know how important law enforcement is and consider myself on your side of the abolishment debate but I'm not going to ignore the problems within our law enforcement that cause a man in a wheelchair to get shot 9 god damn times.

You mean the guy with a knife who ignored commands and wheeled himself into a busy area where he could stab people easily?

Look, slavery was abolished, however, people today (regardless of color) or working for what I consider slave wages. The abolishment of the police doesn't necessarily mean it will cease to exist in all forms. Yall really need to calm down that take on the call for abolishment. Number one, it's meant to incite emotional responses and get people talking which worked. Number two, a total overhaul of how law enforcement works would inherently be the abolishment of the current law enforcement as we know it.

I don't disagree with you. We can reform and make better almost any institution in the country. We could get better police by better training and if we paid them more. But we need the police. I came from an incredibly poor neighborhood dominated by gangs and drugs. If anything, we didn't get enough police in our area. Regardless: defund the police is wildly unpopular and an incredible political advantage to the republicans. This and other issues are going to kill the dems in 2022.

Health care reform killed the Dems in 2010, so the populace really doesn’t care what is going on when they decide to get energized to vote.

What do you consider "slave wages" exactly an why?

Our for-profit prison system is a good example. I'd make the argument that the punishment is supposed to be the taking their ability to freely participate in society, but to remove their ability to earn a decent enough income so that when they leave the system they are in a position to help themselves is just silly. They could be made to continue working for the same company they worked for (without pay in many cases).

But to answer your question outside of that, any wage where the employee is being paid just enough to afford to feed & shelter themselves is slave wages to me. The only difference between that and slavery is the slave owner was managing your room and board for you.

That's exactly what it means? Why is it so hard for some of you to take the abolitionists at their word?
Yes, We Mean Literally Abolish the Police
That their goals are unrealistic does not mean that that's what their goals are.
It's hard for me to take some of the abolitionists at their word because I'd have to take people like Shawn Hannity, Tucker Carlson, and Majorie Green Taylor at their every word for what all Republicans think.

Yes, we are talking about it, but not all attention is good attention.
And "overhaul" is different than abolition. Not that I think a "total overhaul" is necessary or even beneficial.
The biggest problem is not the police anyway. They merely enforce the laws that the politicians write.
Police would not be doing completely useless things like pretending to be sex workers or customers in order to entrap people if politicians did not pass laws outlawing sex work. Just as an example.
Whether or not some laws are useless doesn't mean the police can poorly execute the law.

You mean the guy with a knife who ignored commands and wheeled himself into a busy area where he could stab people easily?

I mean the guy in a wheelchair moving at 5mph that two officers on the scene could have easily tipped over and called it a day. What movie were you watching that had John Wick in a wheelchair?

Lots of stupid people say and do stupid things (especially politicians) Derec. Where have you been?

Edit: For the record, I find myself agreeing with the points you make at times. But your presentation is like eating pineapple pizza, taking the good with the bad.
The hell you say! There's no bad to take in pineapple pizza!

Lots of stupid people say and do stupid things (especially politicians) Derec. Where have you been?

Edit: For the record, I find myself agreeing with the points you make at times. But your presentation is like eating pineapple pizza, taking the good with the bad.

Pineapple pizza is an abomination.

Decent folks all know that.
Tom

Tom
I'm reporting you for hate speech. You're probably one of those "Birther" folks who insist Obama wasn't a real American because he was born in Hawai'i.

Tom
I'm reporting you for hate speech. You're probably one of those "Birther" folks who insist Obama wasn't a real American because he was born in Hawai'i.
Real Americans know that there's no apostrophe in Hawaii.
Tom

So how much time do yall think Juicy omelet should get? I don't think he'll get off without any jail time. This is regardless of no one actually getting hurt. Why I think he'll be going behind bars is that he took the stand and lied again. :ROFLMAO:

So how much time do yall think Juicy omelet should get? I don't think he'll get off without any jail time. This is regardless of no one actually getting hurt. Why I think he'll be going behind bars is that he took the stand and lied again. :ROFLMAO:
He could get up to 3 years, but I think if I was the judge, I'd give him between 6 months and 1 year. Which should be enough to make the jail time sting for a bit, and give him opportunity to think about his big, dumb plan. Plus, pay full restitution to the city of Chicago for the money they wasted investigating this. Finally, he should be required to stay 500 ft away from any store selling bleach, rope and red hats. And Subway should ban him for life!

Unfortunately (If Juicy continues down this path of lying) jail time will only serve as a boon for his "I'm a victim" movement which will lead to further deterioration of his mental health.

Maybe a few months behind bars and must pay full restitution for all the law enforcement resources wasted.

There was only one black juror.

In what way is that relevant?
Are you so racist that you assume everyone else is also?
Tom

In what way is that relevant?
Are you so racist that you assume everyone else is also?
Tom

What do you think I meant?

Well Jussie was sentenced today, 150 days in jail or something but his parting rant was epic. He’s off his meds or something.

He could get up to 3 years, but I think if I was the judge, I'd give him between 6 months and 1 year. Which should be enough to make the jail time sting for a bit, and give him opportunity to think about his big, dumb plan. Plus, pay full restitution to the city of Chicago for the money they wasted investigating this. Finally, he should be required to stay 500 ft away from any store selling bleach, rope and red hats. And Subway should ban him for life!
Looks like I was pretty close to the judge's decision, though the judge gave him 5 months, instead of 6 and gave him probation and an additional fine of $25,000. The judge sure gave him a good, well deserved scolding:

The dude is in need of some serious therapy. His behavior in the courtroom about "not being suicidal" seems a bit unhinged. What point was he trying to make by repeating that? That he expects to die in jail at the hands of some "secret cabal", and is afraid the coroner will label it a suicide to cover it up? Like the Jeffrey Epstein death conspiracy? Or maybe he does plan to commit suicide in prison, and is saying he's not suicidal now to create some new conspiracy or doubt about his death and become a martyr for social justice?

He's just scared of Jail. Hell, I can hold my own and I'm scared of jail. :ROFLMAO:

And a word from his sponsers

So many emotions at the same time over his family's comments. Infuriating that they'd invoke allies in the fight against inequality towards Blacks and LGBT, embarrassment that folks who already give us a hard time will use this to minimize & criticize the movement, the hilarity of it all because it's so damn obvious he's guilty, and sadness because some people actually believe he's being unjustly treated by the system.

Back
Top Bottom