• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Kentucky Fried Chicken Celebrates Kristallnacht

How do you Jesus feels? He was born in the spring and they celebrate his birthday around a pagan holiday!
It's King Charles III I* feel sorry for. We had his Birthday Public Holiday on the same day we used to celebrate his mum's birthday - and neither of them were born on that day.
. . .
We are really half-arsing the whole head of state thing here, though to be fair, when the head of state lives on the opposite side of the planet and rarely visits, it doesn't seem that important to fully-arse it.
Many parallels between Charles III* King of Australia and  %52%61%6D%61%20%58 King of Smiles. Each was the oldest ever to ascend his throne. (Each had a predecessor with a record-setting long reign.) Until recently King's Birthday and Father's Day were the same day here; now there will be TWO holidays with Father's Day continuing as 5 December, the birthday of the Ninth Great King.

Like the King of Australia, our King spends much time away from his Kingdom; he returned to his estate in Germany earlier this year, but where he is right now may be a state secret. One difference is that Charles has less than half a billion dollars of personal wealth according to Wikipedia's list, while the other King is one of the world's richest men and #1 in Wikipedia's List of Wealthiest Monarchs, significantly richer than the Sultan of Brunei.

By the way, with Australia discovered AFTER the end of the Stuart dynasty, shouldn't Charles have two numbers like James had? "Third of England and first of Australia"? (Never mind that in Jacobite reckoning King Charles 4th of England and 4th of Sardinia ( Charles Emmanuel IV of Sardinia) has come and gone.)

It doesn't surprise me one bit to learn that in the 2022, KFC has an employ in charge of online promotions who has no idea what Kristallnacht means. It's just another one of those German parties with a funny spelling, like Oktoberfest.
Yeah--until this thread I had not heard of it, period. I can easily see someone seeing it on a calendar and not knowing what it was.

Off topic but now my curiousity is piqued. How solemn is September 11 for Americans? If your birthday is on September 11, would it be considered gauche to celebrate your birthday on that particular day?

My wedding anniversary is Sept 11th. It took us 15 years before we were comfortable “celebrating” on that day. Still, we tend to not target “the day” any more if there’s an easy option.

We may be more affected than many, because my husband was on a flight to Boston that day, and all the news about a Boston flight involved resulted in several hours of Angst.

Back
Top Bottom