• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

King George IV took tea with a mandrill baboon

They used to be. They were when the king would've met 'em. It's like Pluto not being a planet anymore.

The word 'baboon' had a different meaning in the time of George IV, but the original article is from 1975, where the meaning had already changed, so I think the original one does not play a role here.

But that aside, yes, the meaning of 'baboon' seems to have changed later too, so that is a good point, though I'm not sure I would say this is like the case of Pluto. In this case, the change seems to have been prompted by the discovery that mandrills considerably more distant from (in current terminology) baboons than it was originally thought.

i love mandrills - i think they're beautiful:
View attachment 3287

when i was writing my RPG setting based on Bantu myths and legends, i used mandrills as the basis for one of the sapient races:

The !Tsharg

"!Tsharg/hauim//goab" is a Tsan phrase meaning "the
people who sit on their heels". ["!" represents a sound like
"tsk", "/" is a side-of-the-mouth click]. They call
themselves "the people" using sounds unpronounceable for
humans. On Earth, the various Bushman peoples have
always accredited baboons with full intelligence, as have
many other cultures.

!Tsharg faces are mandrill-like, including the bright colors
and their noses extend out to a muzzle. The median of the
nose and the flaring nostrils are red, the sides of the nose
and ridged hairless portion of the cheeks range from blue
to violet, changing rapidly but subtlety. Whereas mandrills
have brightly colored fur on their rumps, the upright !
Tsharg have this on their shoulders. Colors range from blue
to purple to scarlet. Only respected individuals and elders
show these colors and they never develop in slave !Tsharg...(lots more)

then i was told that having any kind of talking monkey in a setting devoted to africa was racism, then i blew my top, then i got banned....

You might be interested to know that one of the main characters in Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts is a mandrill who apes (pardon the pun) 18th century asthetics

Back
Top Bottom