• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Kyrsten Sinema - a DINO?

'I'm very direct': Sinema responds to criticism she's an enigma - YouTube
"In an interview with CNN's Lauren Fox, Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ) won't commit to voting for President Joe Biden's sweeping social safety net legislation."

It's not enough to say "I'm committed to doing a good job", as she stated over and over again in various ways in the interview. She also didn't address the issue of why some people call her an enigma.

She wore glasses with a purple-pink frame, rather exceptional for her, since her glasses are usually very plain, with black or dark brown frames.
It's like a conversation I had yesterday with a coworker about "Sin". No, I didn't bring it up.

I can talk to a pastor all day about sin, but all I'm going to get out of them is a tight circular argument about vague bullshit.

When the coworker brought it up, though like "what even is it" I actually had an answer. We had a discussion about the thing, and now, the coworker has a basis for discussing the concept in a way that would make a religious person very uncomfortable.

Usually you can tell when people are full of shit based on the fact that they are unwilling to discuss their positions and the reasons for them and to show their work. I've never met someone qualified to a position of leadership who was tight-lipped about their destinations, especially to their peers.

So either Sinema in my mind does not see us as her peers, or she does not have anything in mind except her own wellbeing and fuck everyone else.

It's the behavior of a sociopath with an agenda.

Say what you want. Then fight for that thing. If someone says what they want and then fights for something else; of someone does not say what they want and then makes decisions which scuttle important group efforts... They are a sociopath and it is your job to remove them from the reigns of power.

Should We Talk About Sinema’s Fashion Choices? | Zerlina. - YouTube
Is it fair to comment on Sen. Kyrsten Sinema and other elected officials’ fashion choices? Professor Tressie McMillan Cottom says yes, and that it can be done without resorting to sexist rhetoric.

Zerlina.: Incisive and timely coverage of politics and current events, through in-depth conversations that unpack the latest developments in this era's breakneck news cycle and draw back the curtain on their real-world consequences.
Zerlina Maxwell noted Rep. Jim Jordan's jacketlessness, something that makes him stand out among his male colleagues, and female Democrats dressing in white in honor of their suffragist predecessors. TMMC noted that men's clothing does not give us much to talk about. She also noted that KS has attracted a lot of attention to herself by the politics that she has been doing, and also that she is not very talkative. That leaves us with playing Kremlinology with her clothes.

TMMC then criticized those female politicians who claimed that it is sexist to focus on KS's clothing. She implied that they have a sort of corporate feminism, feminism for me but not for thee, like saying that it's sexist to comment on KS's wardrobe while also supporting the likes of Brett Kavanaugh. Like what Sen. Susan Collins did.

Why We Should Be Discussing Sen. Sinema’s Colorful Style - YouTube
Arizona Sen. Kyrsten Sinema has made headlines for her eclectic fashion, from her denim vest to her pink and purple wigs. Sociologist Tressie McMillan Cottom shares the message behind these outfits and why it’s not sexist to be paying attention to Sinema’s clothes: “We are going to have to learn how to talk about powerful people that also happen to be women.”
TMMC suggests that her flashy fashions are a way of distracting from what a conventional politician KS has become.

On the other side,
Ocasio-Cortez claps back after article on her dress: 'Sequins are a great accessory to universal healthcare' | TheHill
noting
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Yep! I rent, borrow, and thrift my clothes. (It’s also environmentally sustainable!) 🌎
The Post is just mad that you can look good fighting for working families.
Sequins are a great accessory to universal healthcare, don’t you agree? ✨😉" / Twitter
I don't see any connection between sequins and UHC. That seems like a non-sequitor. What is she trying to say?

Kyrsten Sinema BLATANTLY Lies To CNN. Plays Reporter Like A Fiddle - YouTube - "Democratic Senator Kyrsten Sinema blatantly lied to a CNN reporter Lauren Fox's face as Fox just sat there with zero pushback. In this video I break down those lies."

Host David Doel describes how she recently went against positions that she had earlier campaigned on. His sources:

Getting big money out of politics? When she started out, she refused campaign donations as "bribery".

I figured that part out. What she said specifically, still makes no sense. I'm forced to conclude that you can't make sense of it either, despite her "owning some cons". :rolleyes:

She's a talking point machine.

Mind you, she represented my district when she was in the House. I supported her then. When she made the move to the Senate, something happened. I can't quite put my finger on it, but the best example was when she was supposed to debate McSally. Her opponent didn't show, and instead of a back and forth, it was Sinema spewing talking points in response to every question. Scripted answers to everything. No off the cuff remarks. Nothing that even resembled her previous personality. It was like watching a corporate press release come to life.

Jennifer Cohn ✍🏻 📢 on Twitter: "Whoa. “Arizona students stage hunger strike to urge Sinema to support voting reform” cc: ⁦@SenatorSinema⁩ 😥 1/ (link)" / Twitter
noting
Arizona students stage hunger strike to urge Sinema to support voting reform | Arizona | The Guardian - "College students say they will be striking indefinitely until Arizona senator agrees to support Freedom to Vote Act"
Since Monday, a group of 20 college students from the University of Arizona and Arizona State have been on hunger strike in an effort to pressure one of the most heavily criticized Democratic senators, Kyrsten Sinema, to take action on the passage of crucial voting reform legislation.

The students say they will be striking indefinitely until Arizona’s Sinema agrees to support the Freedom to Vote Act, a bill that would ensure fair election measures like automatic voter registration and the protection and expansion of vote by mail.

I don't see any connection between sequins and UHC. That seems like a non-sequitor [sic]. What is she trying to say?
She's taking a swipe at a New York Post article about her appearance on "The View". Seems like she's owned some cons.
I figured that part out. What she said specifically, still makes no sense. I'm forced to conclude that you can't make sense of it either, despite her "owning some cons". :rolleyes:
It may have been a non-sequitur but it was NOT a non-sequinur. It was a whimsical shot at deflecting vile content-free insults into playful banter, in other words a joke.

Perhaps you prefer right-wing jokes. Here's one:
Donald J. Trump said:
Look, having nuclear my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, okay, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart you know, if you're a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, okay, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I'm one of the smartest people anywhere in the world it's true! but when you're a conservative Republican they try oh, do they do a number that's why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fort. you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we're a little disadvantaged but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me it would have been so easy, and it's not as important as these lives are (nuclear is powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what's going to happen and he was right who would have thought?), but when you look at what's going on with the four prisoners now it used to be three, now it's four but when it was three and even now, I would have said it's all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don't, they haven't figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it's gonna take them about another 150 years but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us.

Amy Siskind 🏳️‍🌈 on Twitter: "THREAD on Sinema: ..." / Twitter
THREAD on Sinema:
Sinema's behavior has made no common sense to me. Surely she knows too that she would lose in the 2024 Democratic primary. Why would she do it?

I have info from an inside source who lives in AZ and has a direct connection. With his permission am sharing.

First, and this likely isn't breaking news to anyone: Sinema has a highly overinflated ego. She believes since she has been able to work her way up, and accumulate so many academic degrees in a short time, she is a true super star -head and shoulders above intellectually.

To Sinema, as many of us suspected, her term in the U.S. Senate, she believes is just a stopping ground for her next step. She doesn't assume she will need to be re-elected.

This is something I imagined, but assumed she would be a consultant or something of that variety.

But nope, I was wrong. That isn't what Sinema believes will be her next step. With her inflated ego and small circle of friends, many of whom she has alienated and lost, not pushing back, she has been living in an echo chamber. The big $$$ corp donors are happy to feed this.

Sinema believes she will be running to President in 2024 I am told. This self-styled bipartisanship she believes she speaks for, will be her brand to run as the candidate in the middle. Not far-left of far-right. She has convinced herself this is her calling and she has it.

And you can see why having alienated so many close to her, & believing she is smarter than everyone else in DC and beyond, and with the corporate donors feeding this too while she tows their line, this misguided fantasy can be her view.

This I am told is what is happening.

One postscript per my friend: Sinema believes MAGA elected officials will reject partisanship when they are given a choice of her or Trump.

Yes, the land of magical thinking. But here we are folks!

I have known about this for a few months, but did not want to betray my friend’s confidence. And he assumed the media would come knocking and find this story - it is well known in Sinema’s inner circle! But they never did, so today he messaged me and said time to go public!
Posing as a centrist so she can run for President on that pose? That seems very plausible.

Aaron Thomas on Twitter: "@Amy_Siskind "More Than 50 Billionaires..." / Twitter
"More Than 50 Billionaires—Including A Couple Of Trump Supporters—Have Donated To Senator Kyrsten Sinema." Hmmmm I wonder what this mystery is all about.....

She was my rep in Tempe in 2013 - 15 She voted multiple times AGAINST the ACA. We knew then she couldn't be trusted but green hair, glasses and jackets, amirite??
Meet The Billionaires Donors Who Have Contributed To Senator Kyrsten Sinema's Campaign - all but one are outside of her home state, Arizona. About 1/3 are from California and another 1/3 from New York. Some 1/3 are in finance, most of them contributed to her 2018 Senate run, and some 2/3 contributed to Joe Biden's 2020 Presidential campaign.

Steven Zielke 🎶 on Twitter: "@Amy_Siskind She's positioning a run for the POTUS. That does make complete sense. These votes are all performative and positioning. The needs of the Biden Admin are irrelevant. She's likely planning to primary him." / Twitter

Wonder Fille on Twitter: "@Amy_Siskind It is honestly shocking to me that she perceives herself as beloved or highly respected. Her behavior appears purely performative and intentionally alienating. It’s bizarre to be that her perception is the opposite." / Twitter

Like a lot of self-styled centrists, she may believe herself to represent some big silent majority. But if one looks at politically engaged people, they are on the left or on the right. People toward the center tend to be apolitical.

World Citizen on Twitter: "@Amy_Siskind Is it possible that this utter lack of awareness, coupled with what we’ve observed of her that just seems out of the ordinary - her outfits, her high intelligence, her disconnect from her constituents, etc - indicates she might be on the autism spectrum? (See Mark Zuckerberg)" / Twitter

Voodoo Monk on Twitter: "@Amy_Siskind Dear Ms Sinema: Please see Tulsi Gabbard. Thank you." / Twitter

Terence Begley on Twitter: "@Amy_Siskind I was going to tweet my opinion earlier, but I am getting huge Tulsi Gabbard vibes from Sinema. Perhaps not the same foreign policy interests. I just don't know how she runs, unless as a well-funded independent who is a spoiler candidate that would ultimate end in a Trump victory" / Twitter

That's an interesting take. TG's candidacy never went anywhere, and she's now sounding like a Republican.

Some people are threatening to primary KS. It's still a year or two from when KS will decide what she wants to do next, but it never hurts to get prepared. Such an effort may be good even if KS decides not to run for the Senate again, and instead decides to run for President or else become a consultant for some corporate lobbying firm, a common post-Congress career.

Primary Sinema Project on Twitter: "(THREAD) ..." / Twitter
(THREAD) Hi! We are a new effort dedicated to supporting the reforms that America needs to fix our democracy as well as President Biden’s American jobs and families agenda, which is broadly popular among Arizonans.

We need to pass President Biden’s Build Back Better plan and voting rights legislation into law, and we need to eliminate the filibuster to prevent any more Republican obstructionism on important priorities that all Americans need.

Arizonans need both of their United States Senators to support these reforms. But unfortunately, Senator Sinema has decided to use her power as a United States Senator to slow down progress and empower Mitch McConnell at President Biden’s expense.

She is listening to corporate donors and lobbyists instead of the grassroots volunteers and voters who elected her. Senator Sinema will be up for re-election in 2024, but we can’t afford to wait.

That’s why we’re laying the groundwork now to #PrimarySinema. If you support this effort, please chip in here.

By opposing policies supported by broad, bipartisan majorities of Arizonans, Sinema is out of step with Arizonans—and not just Democrats.

This is a critical moment for President Biden’s presidency. If Senator Sinema continues to stand in the way, then we must hold her accountable, and that means laying the groundwork for a strong primary challenge.

If we don’t pass President Biden’s plans to help American families now, then Democrats across the country will suffer during the midterms. This is an extremely high stakes moment, and Sinema has been an obstacle every step of the way.

Just this week, Sinema held a high-dollar fundraiser with business groups who oppose Biden’s Build Back Better bill because it will raise taxes on corporations and the rich.

Sinema opposed efforts to lower the cost of prescription drugs -- after taking more than $750,000 from the pharmaceutical industry. It’s pretty clear that she’s not listening to the people of Arizona, and she’s not working for us.

This isn’t about ideology -- it’s about having a Senator who supports President Biden’s agenda, not one who’s standing in the way of progress. This is about having a Senator who listens to the people of Arizona, not corporate donors.

Dems from across the political spectrum are frustrated. 80% of the Arizona Democratic Party committee just gave her a vote of no confidence. It’s not about left or right, it's about having a Democrat who votes like a Democrat.

Sinema is empowering McConnell at Biden’s expense. In an evenly divided Senate, no one benefits from Sinema’s obstruction more than Senator Mitch McConnell. It’s no wonder McConnell is always talking about her and his fellow Republicans praise her.

Sinema’s obstruction of President Biden’s agenda is a direct threat to Mark Kelly’s re-election and Democratic chances up and down the ballot.

For those reasons and more, it's time to #PrimarySinema. Please chip in if you agree. (end of thread)

I swear to non-existent god...if I won the lottery, I'd buy (or rather, rent) a meeting with my former Congresswoman, and ask exactly how many millions I would have to pay her in order to change her mind on the filibuster.

I think she has a number in mind, and it's slightly more than the donors who are paying her to back the GOP agenda.

Lawrence O'Donnell does not appear to be a fan of Ms. Sinema:
Lawrence O'Donnell said:
Well, I`ve been listening to Senate speeches for decades now. Most of them while I was sitting in the Senate chamber as a Democratic Senate staff member and I have never, ever, heard a more contemptuous speech by a Democratic senator than the one written by Kyrsten Sinema`s Senate staff and read by Senator Sinema on the speech floor today.
The speech was filled with contempt for Senator Sinema`s Democratic colleagues, for her constituents, and for all of you. Senator Sinema expressed that contempt by delivering a nonstop insult to the intelligence of everyone who was listening. She filled her 20 minutes on the Senate floor with a string of Hallmark greeting card-like platitudes about how the United States Senate should work and not a single word about the reality of why the United States Senate no longer works.
In announcing her opposition to changing Senate rules in any way in order to pass voting rights legislation by a simple majority vote, Senator Sinema said this.
Kyrsten Sinema (T-AZ) said:
Eliminating the 60-vote threshold will simply guarantee that we lose a critical tool, that we need to safeguard our democracy from threats in the years to come.
It is hard to think of a stupider thing that could be said about the 60-vote threshold. That was Senator Sinema claiming that the 60- vote rule in the Senate is, quote, a critical tool that we need to safeguard our democracy. It is, in fact, the single most anti-democracy rule that exists in American government.
If Senator Sinema said a single true thing about the 60-vote rule today, I would press the play button for that right now and let you hear it. She didn`t. Not one true word about the 60-vote rule.
So here is something untrue that Senator Sinema said about her own history with the 60-vote threshold.
There`s no need for me to restate my longstanding support for the 60-vote threshold to pass legislation. There is no need for me to restate its role protecting our country from wild reversals in federal policy.
My longstanding support for the 60-vote threshold to pass legislation.
Here is Kyrsten Sinema in 2010, discussing the 60-vote threshold while she mocks a Democratic senator for being insufficiently loyal to the Democratic Party.
Well, the Senate, we no longer have 60 votes. So I`m going to argue we never had 60 because one of those was Joseph Lieberman, and Nelson, too. But, really Lieberman. So, now, there`s -- I think as the president so eloquently said on Wednesday, there is none of this pressure, this false pressure to get to 60.
So what that means is that the Democrats can stop kowtowing to Joe Lieberman and instead seek another avenues to move forward with health reform. So, it`s likely that the Senate will move forward with the process called reconciliation which takes only 51 votes. And, by they way, it`s unusual.
You may recall that before the Democrats took the Senate in 2008, that the Republicans controlled the Senate for quite some time, in fact, since around 1994. They never had 60 votes and they managed to do a lot of really bad things during that time. So the reconciliation process is still quite available and we will use it for good rather than for evil. So --
One of the differences about that speech is that no one wrote that for her. She wasn`t reading that. So maybe, maybe that means that`s what she actually thought. That version of Kyrsten Sinema before she came to Washington wanted to use the simple majority vote in the United States Senate for good instead of evil.
She said the Republicans never got 60 votes. She didn`t say that as a complaint, she said that admiring the Republican tactical ability to pass legislation without having to get 60 votes. We cannot know if Kyrsten Sinema actually believes anything at all.
But we do know that she did not support her position today with logic, intelligence or truth. Senator Sinema did tell us how she feels about the unanimous opposition to voting rights legislation by every Republican in the United States Senate.
I share the disappointment of many that we`ve not found more support on the other side of the aisle for legislative responses to state level voting restrictions. I wish that were not the case.
Disappointed. She`s disappointed in Republicans. When Kyrsten Sinema ran for the United States Senate, she did not say that she would bring all her legislative and policy goals in the United States Senate to the Republican leader of the Senate and try to get Republican approval of her agenda. That`s not what she told Arizona voters.
But that is her position now. Republicans have to approve everything Kyrsten Sinema wants to do, or she won`t even try to do it. She will just stand at her desk in the United States Senate and be disappointed.
And she will give up if Republicans don`t want to do what she wants to do. She will give up. That`s what she`s saying today. President Joe Biden today said he is not giving up. President Joe Biden attended the Democrats` luncheon today where it is reported that Kyrsten Sinema sat looking at her phone for most of the time.
Senator Sinema`s speech on the Senate floor before the luncheon did not dissuade Senator Jon Ossoff from delivering a passionate talk during that lunch about changing the voting rules, and that speech received a standing ovation in that moment.

If the vote is tied 50-50 on a motion to change the rules, Kamala Harris can break the tie and establish the new rule. What if the vote is, say 46-46? (Do you see where I'm going with this? Our democracy will not be saved by playing soft-ball.)

From last October, Kyrsten Sinema Is Unfriending Her Network Into Oblivion - The Daily Beast
“A lot of her longtime friends and confidants are no longer there,” a Democratic strategist told The Daily Beast. “No one knows, to be honest, where she’s at.”

When people ask Kyrsten Sinema if she wants to run for president someday, the Arizona senator usually has a stock answer: “I’m overqualified.”

That response, relayed to The Daily Beast by a former friend, is vintage Sinema. It’s quick and witty but also self-aggrandizing and self-deprecating all at the same time. The quip also sheds a rare bit of light on a political figure on center stage in Washington who is, all the while, paradoxically guarded and enigmatic.
A commentator and former friend recalls her in the Arizona State Legislature: "voluble, sharp, and unabashedly liberal" -- very talkative back then.
It is not unusual for allies to have a falling-out amid perceived slights and political differences. But, Herstam says, “when I talk to other individuals that consider themselves friends of hers, they told me they haven’t spoken to her in over a year, and when they’ve contacted her to inquire why she’s doing what she’s doing politically, they don’t get callbacks,” he said. “She’s clearly gone in a different direction.”
Five other sources support these claims.
Sinema retains a small kitchen cabinet of advisers outside of her Senate office and has developed good working ties with officials around the state—including with many Republicans. But the network of allies and supporters who fueled her rise over the last decade, sources said, has largely fallen apart.

The senator’s politics may help explain why. Many former supporters are not just perplexed by her political maneuvering but also her policy stands and are having a hard time imagining themselves backing her going forward.
KS may also believe that she does not need many of her long-time supporters for where she is now.
“She had a big network of people who liked her—establishment Democrats, progressives—everyone marveled at her ability to win in Arizona,” said one Democratic strategist in the state. “A lot of her longtime friends and confidants are no longer there. No one knows, to be honest, where she’s at.”

Another Democratic source in Arizona said her allies in the party “don’t exist anymore.”

“She’s burned so many bridges with the allies she used to have,” this source added.

"In 2018, Sinema flipped her Senate seat—held by the GOP for decades—after an expensive and brutal campaign in which she often avoided mentioning that she was a Democrat."

She accepted a lot of big money for that campaign - Rep. Kyrsten Sinema - Campaign Finance Summary • OpenSecrets
She had a huge spike in campaign spending for her Senate race. Compared to her previous races, all for the House:
  • 2012 (H): $2.17 M
  • 2014 (H): $3.71 M
  • 2016 (H): $4.17 M
  • 2018 (S): $22.2 M
A big spike in 2018, when she ran for the Senate. What deals did she make to get all that funding?

Turning to govtrack.us, her ideology score was:
  • 2013-14 (H): 0.43
  • 2015-16 (H): 0.56
  • 2017-18 (H): 0.70
  • 2019-20 (S): 0.68
Liberal: 0, conservative: 1

She was one of the most conservative Democrats in the House, and she moved rightward until she was the most conservative Democrat there, more than several Republicans. In the Senate, she was also the most conservative Democrat there, more conservative than some Republicans.

govtrack.us's scores are current up to 2020. Still no 2021 report card.

Back to The Daily Beast.
The senator’s inaccessibility to advocates like these has many former associates scratching their heads not only at the political rationale behind it—but wondering what responsibilities of the office appeal to Sinema at all.

“Part of the job is managing a coalition,” said someone who previously worked with Sinema. “What about the people who not only voted for you, but sweated their balls off in 100 degree heat knocking doors for you? You can’t talk to them? It’s profoundly disrespectful.”

Some of KS's supporters are pulling support for her because of her stance on the filibuster.

EMILY's List on Twitter: "An update from our President @LaphonzaB on voting rights (pic link)" / Twitter -- Laphonza Butler

EMILY’s List Statement on Voting Rights | EMILY's List - January 18, 2022

"EMILY’s List was founded to elect Democratic pro-choice women." Then saying that it cannot do its job very well if Republicans skew elections in their favor.
We have not endorsed or contributed to Sen. Sinema since her election in 2018. Right now, Sen. Sinema’s decision to reject the voices of allies, partners and constituents who believe the importance of voting rights outweighs that of an arcane process means she will find herself standing alone in the next election.

Electing Democratic pro-choice women is not possible without free and fair elections. Protecting the right to choose is not possible without access to the ballot box. So, we want to make it clear: if Sen. Sinema can not support a path forward for the passage of this legislation, we believe she undermines the foundations of our democracy, her own path to victory and also the mission of EMILY’s List, and we will be unable to endorse her moving forward.

EMILY's List was founded in 1985, with EMILY meaning "Early Money Is Like Yeast". That means that early financing of a campaign can attract more money later on.

Rep. Kyrsten Sinema - Campaign Finance Summary • OpenSecrets
Her top contributor in 2018 was EMILY's List.

The National Abortion Rights Action League also issued a statement on KS:
NARAL on Twitter: "There's no reproductive freedom without the freedom to vote. With both freedoms at stake, we’re changing our endorsement criteria. We’ll only endorse U.S. senators who support changing the Senate rules to pass the critical legislation that will protect voting rights." / Twitter

Top donors threaten to cut off funding to Sinema - POLITICO - "The donors said they will support a primary challenge, and demanded that the senator refund their contributions."
That letter:
Final Sinema Letter - donor-letter-to-sen-kyrsten-sinema.pdf
We are Senate donors and concerned Americans. Some of us gave the maximum allowable contribution to your 2018 campaign in the belief that, among other things, you would protect our country from the grave authoritarian threat that even then confronted us and is now more acute.

We are terrified about our prospects as a democracy if we do not pass the Freedom to Vote Act and John Lewis VRA Act. We appreciate your support of these bills, but they will die without your action on Senate rules. Bipartisanship works only if it is reciprocal. Republicans are gutting our electoral system in state capitals with no federal check on them. This is life and death important to us.

First, you do not acknowledge the gravity of the threat to fair elections, and that it is a result of a unilateral Republican campaign being conducted in broad daylight.

Second, we disagree with your contention that legislation passed unilaterally by one party is itself a form of extremism.

Third, we disagree that both parties are equally to blame for the present failure to find compromise on the voting bills, and that Democratic leadership did not try hard enough to forge consensus with Republicans.

Fourth, you hold that the filibuster incentivizes cooperation and compromise, while we believe the opposite to be true.

Fifth, we believe Republicans will end or modify the filibuster as they see fit regardless of what course Democrats may take.

Sixth, and more fundamentally, the founding framers required supermajorities for only a handful of exceptional cases like treaty ratification.

Finally, the bipartisan dialogue you and we want to be the norm will become less likely, not more, if you let these two bills die.
Back to the Politico article.
The broadside is the latest example of the fury among a growing number of Democratic donors, lawmakers and organizations after Sinema’s rejection of their pleas to do away with the filibuster. They turned the screws on her in the hours before the Senate showdown over voting rights Wednesday evening, which ended in failure for Democrats because they lacked the votes to create an exception to the filibuster.

“I can’t recall this kind of pressure coming from party regulars,” said Adam Jentleson, a Democratic strategist who supports eliminating the filibuster and wrote the book “Kill Switch: The Rise of the Modern Senate and the Crippling of American Democracy.” “I think it says a lot that there’s this level of feeling right now.”

The escalating threats against Sinema have also come from some of Sinema’s colleagues. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) said Tuesday he is open to endorsing primary challengers to Sinema and Manchin. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) also did not rule out supporting such a challenge, saying that “we'll address that when we get past this week” when asked if Sinema and Manchin should be primaried.
KS's next election is in 2024, and she may either run for the Senate or run for the Presidency. In any case, if she continues on her present course, the Democratic base will be against her.

When the Senate considered an exception to the filibuster for voting rights, KS delivered a speech defending the filibuster as necessary for democracy by forcing a broader consensus for doing anything. Her voice wavered as if she was about to break down in tears.

She was wearing a dark purple sleeveless dress and what looked like a crucifix. But the crossbar in that "crucifix" was near the top, where the hole for its chain was.

Back
Top Bottom