• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

la(te)st X-Men movie

jab

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
non-militant atheist
I thought it was bad.
one of the 2 really well-acted characters is killed off relatively soon. Acting well is hard with dialogue as bad as this--and Jessica Chastain does horribly. She is now front-runner for the 2019 Golden Raspberry for worst supporting actress. I can't recall such a bad performance by a blonde actress in a quasi-sci-fi colour movie since Zsa Zsa Gabor played a Venusian scientist in Queen of Outer Space--and that was 60 years ago. Sophie Turner is also in the running for a Golden Raspberry for worst lead actress. The scenes between her and Chastain are sooo bad they're good, and for a film that is resolute in its heterosexual pairings up, those scenes have an escalating and unfortunate evil-lesbian vibe.
The effects are plenteous and mostly unimpressive--the lighting effects look very sloppy and B-movish, or small screenish.
The actors playing Quicksilver, Storm, and Cyclopes, not having established resumes, may find themselves back waiting tables, for all the good this movie will do them. Everyone else but Fassbinder and Lawrence (both too well established to be damaged by this), and the actor playing Kurt--who does a very good job--may find this movie putting a dint in their careers.
I saw it on an ImAX screen on the Sunday afternoon of its opening weekend, and the theatre wasn't even half full.

I'm just going to skip this one entirely, which is an odd thing for me to do with a superhero movie. It just looks like absolute garbage which they rushed out the door to get the costs off the books before the Disney merger went through and the X-Men got rebooted under the MCU. Everyone is saying it's even worse than The Last Stand, which I didn't think was even theoretically possible.

I'm just going to skip this one entirely, which is an odd thing for me to do with a superhero movie. It just looks like absolute garbage which they rushed out the door to get the costs off the books before the Disney merger went through and the X-Men got rebooted under the MCU. Everyone is saying it's even worse than The Last Stand, which I didn't think was even theoretically possible.
The Last Stand was bad, but not awful. It was worse because we had such high expectations after the great success that was X2.

It seems X-men writers know of almost no other stories as they have gone to the well again with the Phoenix. Which bothers me because they could establish these characters better first and then go for the biggie, but it seems Marvel Studios is the only company willing to make that investment.

I had little interest in the theater with this due to Apocalypse having quite a few issues foreshadowing that this wasn't going to go well.

I was not planning on rushing to see this. Heck, I haven't even seen the one with Apocalypse. And this is from someone who has been collecting x-men comics since.... (hmm.. wait, that can't be right... how long??) about 31 years.

Not sure how they are going to bring them into the MCU, for a number of reasons. With the track record so far they should be able to do a much better job than the last few movies. One thing I definitely want to see is them to Rogue right! Not sure how that is going to work as her origin involves permanently taking Captain Marvel's powers.

One thing I definitely want to see is them to Rogue right! Not sure how that is going to work as her origin involves permanently taking Captain Marvel's powers.

It's part of how they do contract negotiations. They set up Rogue before Brie Larson's deal is up for renewal and then if she tries to play hardball, they send her some back issues of the X-Men comics where Rogue steals her powers and nobody hears from Captain Marvel for a couple of decades.

Back
Top Bottom