• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

LA to require 10 commandments in schools

cycomiko

Basic Beliefs
Atheist, materialist, humanist
Heard this on NPR yesterday so decided to find the actual bill. HB71

Apparently the Louisiana legislature was emboldened by the SCOTUS ruling about that coach praying before football games and decided to test the establishment clause in their own way. The bill would require all schools that receive public money to display the 10Cs in every classroom and these displays will be paid for with tax dollars.

SCOTUS is finally weakened enough thanks to republicans that now the zealots are trying to seize their opportunity. In the past I'd say this doesn't stand a chance of actually being implemented but I'm not so sure these days.

Let them be the actual Ten Commandments, found in Exodus 34 and actually called The Ten Commandments, not the faux list in Exodus 20, which are not labeled as commandments and are therefore The Ten Suggestions. The junior scholars of The Pelican State need to know how to make sacrifices. They need to know that, to stay right with God, they must observe the Festival of Unleavened Bread (and of course, during that week, the sloppy joes and burritos must be served on unleavened bread.) Extremism in the defense of the Bible is no vice. Let's go Bible crazy, y'all!
Actually I think it will pass, just like the W.Va. creationist law, Tennessee's Religious Freedom Restoration Act, and all the book-banning initiatives in the various states. This is the wave we're in. The Christians are fired up on Trump and their own special blend of religious hooch, and this is their moment.

Mark 10, Luke 18, Matthew 19. Jesus commands that the Ten Commandments must be followed. And the part the right wingers leave out. And to sell all one has and give to the poor.

Jesus commanded that. The Bible proves it. That settles it.

John 14;15
If you love me keep my commandments.

I believe the courts have already ruled on the 10C issue, so this seems more like political theater than anything else.

If it were to somehow become reality, I would hope some snarky atheist school administrator would put in the one that says not boil a baby goat in its mother's milk (or something like that). Would help to show how much nonsense it is.

Seems like this should be in the Church & State Separation thread, though.

I believe the courts have already ruled on the 10C issue, so this seems more like political theater than anything else.

If it were to somehow become reality, I would hope some snarky atheist school administrator would put in the one that says not boil a baby goat in its mother's milk (or something like that). Would help to show how much nonsense it is.

Seems like this should be in the Church & State Separation thread, though.
I'm hoping the Satanic Temple will show up and do their thing.

Good point. The Church & State Separation forum may be a better place.

after the last few years I no longer have faith in the power of judicial precedence.

Agreed, if Brandon can ignore the supreme court, why wouldn't a tin pot school board also ignore the courts.

With two and a half exceptions (since Gorsuch was raised Catholic), this SCOTUS is the American Holy See. If something offends a bishop, but helps, say, all women, they'll find a way to condemn -- er, overturn -- it.

Great, the Ten Commandments. All ten, the first three being adherence to the God Yahweh who commands in the fourth that the Sabbath be holy. A law that Christians break every fucking week! To Christians, It is the speed limit of Commandments.

Luckily they thought to spell out in the bill exactly which commandments should be displayed. Since all Christians agree on everything there shouldn't an issue.

(2) The text shall read as follows:
"The Ten Commandments"
I AM the LORD thy God.

Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Thou shalt not make to thyself any graven images.
Thou shalt not take the Name of the Lord thy God in vain.
Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Honor thy father and thy mother, that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.
Thou shalt not kill.
Thou shalt not commit adultery.
Thou shalt not steal.
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house.
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his cattle, nor anything that is thy neighbor's.

Luckily they thought to spell out in the bill exactly which commandments should be displayed. Since all Christians agree on everything there shouldn't an issue.

(2) The text shall read as follows:
"The Ten Commandments"
I AM the LORD thy God.

1 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
2 Thou shalt not make to thyself any graven images.
3 Thou shalt not take the Name of the Lord thy God in vain.
4 Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
5 Honor thy father and thy mother, that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.
6 Thou shalt not kill.
7 Thou shalt not commit adultery.
8 Thou shalt not steal.
9 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
10 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house.
11 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his cattle, nor anything that is thy neighbor's.
Am I counting 11? I added numbers to the list. Are a couple of these supposed to be combined? Seems the last two are redundant.

Darn. Those would all be fine by me, except not coveting my neighbor's cattle. Jimbob does have a pretty nice heifer that I've had my eye on for some time. Is there some sort of equivalent to the cold shower that would enable me to keep my mind off that heifer?

Why are they splitting up the coveting part and having a single line for house? Also, can any children get in trouble about asking whether the tenth commandment should indicate to not covet thy neighbor's ass?
Have you not been paying attention? This particular version of SCOTUS has proven that precedence is really nothing to let get in the way of stuff like this. As long as the school isn't actively promoting it or some shit, they'll allow this.

Why are they splitting up the coveting part and having a single line for house? Also, can any children get in trouble about asking whether the tenth commandment should indicate to not covet thy neighbor's ass?
Have you not been paying attention? This particular version of SCOTUS has proven that precedence is really nothing to let get in the way of stuff like this. As long as the school isn't actively promoting it or some shit, they'll allow this.
Issues like prohibition of prayer in school and The 10C's would seem to have more solid footing, though, due to not just precedence, but that it's illegality is directly traceable back to the Establishment Clause in the First Amendment.

Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing, now that I think about it. If implemented, some of the more critical thinking, skeptical and/or outspoken kids are likely to balk and raise awareness of the nonsense in the 10C's (and Bible), resulting in more non-believer students. After all, one of the best ways to make atheists is for people to actually read the Bible.

Issues like prohibition of prayer in school and The 10C's would seem to have more solid footing, though, due to not just precedence, but that it's illegality is directly traceable back to the Establishment Clause in the First Amendment.
And Thomas's and Alito's response would be "So fucking what?" It isn't religion, it is historical!

Back
Top Bottom