• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Lake Powell boat camping trip 2000

crazyfingers

Supermagnon
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Secular Humanism
In 2000 we took a much different trip. All other trips had been canoe. This we rented a motor boat for Lake Powell but still brought our camping gear.

It was the first time I had a GPS and so after the trip I was able to upload the trip tracks onto the map.

Gps Track.JPG

We drove from Boulder, CO where one of my friends was then living to Lake Powell in UT. Long day. We rented the boat and set off to find the first available spot to camp. We stayed there only one night and set off the next morning looking for a nicer place to stay for a few days.
scan0004.jpg

We quickly found a small inlet and a great camp site inside a mini canyon.
scan0009.jpg

It was a pretty amazing place. The rocks were smooth and rounded here.
scan0010.jpg

I couldn't get enough of this spot
scan0011.jpg

So cool - well, actually it was quite hot for April. Tarps to give us some shade.
scan0019.jpg

Lake Powell water levels in 2000 were almost full. By 2016 you can see that the camp site is very much changed and the water a lot lower from this Google Earth image. It's worse now. I wonder what that site is like now. The most recent Google Earth image in 2016.
Lake Powell Camp Google earth.jpg

Anyway, we headed out and went north looking for a new place to stay.
scan0020.jpg

Making the transition from Bubble Land to Rubble Land
scan0021.jpg

Deep into Rubble Land now. Funny how the rocks changed.
scan0022.jpg

After much hunting we found a suitable flat place to camp in Rubble Land. There are scorpions here and with rubble they had many more places to hide than in Bubble Land.
scan0023.jpg

We had to be careful when we ventured off the flat rocks.
scan0024.jpg

scan0025.jpg

After a couple days we broke camp and headed south again past the first and second site down closer to the dam but we can't go all the way to the dam.
scan0030.jpg

We hunted and hunted for a campsite.
scan0031.jpg

It wasn't until late in the day that we ventured into this small canyon off the main lake and found a place to camp. It was here while we were unpacking we found a scorpion on the boat. It must have been packed away when we left the previous site.
scan0033.jpg

One last evening and we headed back to the boat rental at Bullfrog and loaded the car and went back to Boulder for our flights out the next day.

Back
Top Bottom