• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Larson v Conley v Piraro v Breathed

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
So I was wondering about comic strips and the best of the best. Gary Larson's Far Side is universally held with great acclaim. Bizzaro I think is the best single pane comic ever. The Far Side was first and tremendous but Bizarro just keeps going! The humor is just as good and he's been publishing how long?

My daughter got into Bloom County and I've been reading a lot that I missed as I was pretty young back in the day. Breathed's storytelling was off the wall and fantastic. His animation would improve to match with Outland and Opus. Opus is my favorite comic character of all time. And I have no idea why.

Finally there is Conley's Get Fuzzy which was to me a great comic that created two great main characters and a collection of funny side characters. The depth and intelligence of this strip was unique. Never took itself seriously but Conley took the animation and strip very seriously.

Lynn Johnston needs to be included due to massive duration of For Better or Worse. Heck I remember her making a side character gay was a huge deal in the early 90s. Animation was clean but not blow your mind though.

Dilbert was awesome but not super well animated. Sadly Adams has devolved over the years.

Comparing stripa can be hard, the best have different things that make them special. I want to say Breathed is the best though especially as his animation matured.

I thought this thread was going to be about a court case. DOH!

There's a relatively new one I really like - Pearls Before Swine. Highly contrived awful puns, just my cup of tea.

piraro-mindfulness.jpg

I was a big fan of Bloom County and Breathed's artwork was exceptional. My favorite was The Far Side for its creativity. I loved Gary Larson's brand of humor. Bizarro was good but for a smaller audience. I'm not familiar with Conley.

I was a big fan of Bloom County and Breathed's artwork was exceptional. My favorite was The Far Side for its creativity. I loved Gary Larson's brand of humor. Bizarro was good but for a smaller audience. I'm not familiar with Conley.
This set is one of my favorites.

1041785422_4c78ce9588_c.jpg

This set is one of my favorites.

1041785422_4c78ce9588_c.jpg
They aren't even the tallest structure in Kuala Lumpur anymore.

Stephan Pastis, who draws "Pearls Before Swine," often draws himself in the final panel, with the characters in the strip making comments to him about their reactions.

Pearls Before Swine by Stephan Pastis for April 21, 2024​

Pearls Before Swine Comic Strip for April 21, 2024

Stephan Pastis, who draws "Pearls Before Swine," often draws himself in the final panel, with the characters in the strip making comments to him about their reactions.

Pearls Before Swine by Stephan Pastis for April 21, 2024​

Pearls Before Swine Comic Strip for April 21, 2024
I really liked Pearls, but I think it got past its date and has become a bit stale. Loved the early and middle age stuff. And the comic like the above have become a bit too forced.

Back
Top Bottom