• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Last major TV factory in US closes down thanks to tariffs.

Underseer

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism, resistentialism
http://time.com/5361394/tv-factory-closing-trump-tariffs/

Tariffs are not bad in and of themselves. A lot of corporatists are going to react to all these closings by arguing that tariffs are always bad, therefore we should never have any. There was a time when all of the federal government was funded by tariffs and income taxes weren't a thing.

The problem of course is that we have a rank moron deciding what tariffs to implement against who and how, so of course the result is mostly disaster.

Are we tired of all this winning yet?

Give it time. Soon enough tvs will only be made in the US. UGGA MAGA

I would not call it it "major" nor "TV factory". They were making TV cases and putting Chinese made TVs inside.
US TV manufacturing was dead at the time of LCD becoming a thing.

I would not call it it "major" nor "TV factory". They were making TV cases and putting Chinese made TVs inside.

Uh, most TVs involve assembling parts that were manufactured elsewhere. In fact most tech products are made that way. But thanks for letting us know you're OK with this and are willing to use bad logic to defend it.

Uh, most TVs involve assembling parts that were manufactured elsewhere. In fact most tech products are made that way. But thanks for letting us know you're OK with this and are willing to use bad logic to defend it.
I'd say barbos make a couple good points regardless of what one thinks of FFvC. Facts don't change just because they don't fit the narrative. Element Electronics might have been the largest left, but they are/were hardly 'large' by any rational definition, with only 134 full time employees. Secondly, they could only marginally even be called 'assembled' in the US.

Additionally, it looks a lot like a con by Mallwart, to make people think the TV was US made...
https://www.politifact.com/virginia...donald-trump-says-us-doesnt-make-tvs-anymore/
The Wall Street Journal reported July 17, 2014, that Element doesn’t do much assembly work at the plant. The article said assembly-line employees open boxes with TVs shipped from China, inspect the sets for damage, unscrew a plastic panel and insert a Chinese-made memory board, and conduct mechanical tests. Then the television is put back in its box and shipped to retailers.

The TVs often are shipped in red, white and blue boxes that have a picture of Statue of Liberty and say "Assembled in the USA," a claim Walmart has vaunted in selling the sets. But the back of many of the sets bears small print that says "Made in China."

I'd say barbos make a couple good points regardless of what one thinks of FFvC. Facts don't change just because they don't fit the narrative. Element Electronics might have been the largest left, but they are/were hardly 'large' by any rational definition, with only 134 full time employees. Secondly, they could only marginally even be called 'assembled' in the US.

Additionally, it looks a lot like a con by Mallwart, to make people think the TV was US made...
https://www.politifact.com/virginia...donald-trump-says-us-doesnt-make-tvs-anymore/
The Wall Street Journal reported July 17, 2014, that Element doesn’t do much assembly work at the plant. The article said assembly-line employees open boxes with TVs shipped from China, inspect the sets for damage, unscrew a plastic panel and insert a Chinese-made memory board, and conduct mechanical tests. Then the television is put back in its box and shipped to retailers.

The TVs often are shipped in red, white and blue boxes that have a picture of Statue of Liberty and say "Assembled in the USA," a claim Walmart has vaunted in selling the sets. But the back of many of the sets bears small print that says "Made in China."

It's almost certain that it is just an assembly plant. Pretty much all LED screens are made in China and Taiwan. Ditto most chip and PCB manufacturing, even if by US-owned companies.

So it's even worse than I thought. It's really a scam.

Not true. Most TVs is assembling parts made in China-Korea-Taiwan-Japan, and assembling is done there as well,
US does not do any of that, not even assembling.

Back
Top Bottom