• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

LEAKED NSA MALWARE THREATENS WINDOWS USERS AROUND THE WORLD

Will Wiley

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
naturalist
LEAKED NSA MALWARE THREATENS WINDOWS USERS AROUND THE WORLD

April 15 2017, 5:35 a.m.
The ShadowBrokers, an entity previously confirmed by The Intercept to have leaked authentic malware used by the NSA to attack computers around the world, today released another cache of what appears to be extremely potent (and previously unknown) software capable of breaking into systems running Windows. The software could give nearly anyone with sufficient technical knowledge the ability to wreak havoc on millions of Microsoft users.

The leak includes a litany of typically codenamed software “implants” with names like ODDJOB, ZIPPYBEER, and ESTEEMAUDIT, capable of breaking into — and in some cases seizing control of — computers running version of the Windows operating system earlier than the most recent Windows 10. The vulnerable Windows versions ran more than 65 percent of desktop computers surfing the web last month, according to estimates from the tracking firm Net Market Share.

And what is your evidence that Moscow hasn't exploited these same flaws?

"Follow the money" - Deep Throat, All the President's Men

So every version of the Windows operating system prior to Windows 10 is vulnerable to this "extremely potent " malware, and somehow it escaped containment. Now who in the world stands to profit from that sort of thing, I wonder?

:sneaky:

Last edited:

So every version of the Windows operating system prior to Windows 10 is vulnerable to this "extremely potent " malware, and somehow it escaped containment. Now who in the world stands to profit from that sort of thing, I wonder?

Let me try, Putin?

There's an update in the article.

Let me try, Putin?

Good Heavens! I'm shocked and dismayed that anyone would make such a dastardly assumption!

And now all the anti-malware companies around the world are writing code to make this bit of software inert.

Bruce Schneider thinks the leaks actually came from the Russians.
Schneier really thinks it does not matter who leaked that. he thinks Windows should not be that easy to hack.

The point is if the Russians leaked it then they already knew about this. Your argument falls flat.

And note that Microsoft has already patched the holes.

Schneier really thinks it does not matter who leaked that. he thinks Windows should not be that easy to hack.

The point is if the Russians leaked it then they already knew about this. Your argument falls flat.

And note that Microsoft has already patched the holes.

I was not making an argument, just an observation, so your 'argument" falls flat.

The shit hit the fan. Particularly affected was the NHS in the UK.

A ransomware cyber-attack that may have originated from the theft of “cyber weapons” linked to the US government has hobbled hospitals in England and spread to countries across the world. Security researchers with Kaspersky Lab have recorded more than 45,000 attacks in 99 countries, including the UK, Russia, Ukraine, India, China, Italy, and Egypt. In Spain, major companies including telecommunications firm Telefónica were infected.

Teh Grauniad

Stopped in its tracks by good fortune apparently.

I also noticed the Russians have been hit pretty hard by this, if they themselves did have something to do with the release, there's some poetic justice in there.

Back
Top Bottom