• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

"Logical" objection to Empiricism

No, it was just a metaphoric play with the word "river".
EB

I was just making an oblique reference to the point Heraclitus made about sameness and the role that plays in the identity relationship. Aristotle wanted to be able to explain why one could actually step in the same river twice, and that is what gave rise to the idea of logical proofs. There are always differences between the things we equate, so we need to ignore those differences in order to make our equations work. We recognize the quality of whiteness by ignoring all of the differences between things that are white. Swans and snow are not the same, but they share a property that is the same.

Are you trying to suggest that the human mind has somehow inevitably to create something that doesn't really exist out there if it is to understand the world at all?!

Sort of, but what could it mean to say that something exists independently of a model--a web of associations--that a mind creates to give it meaning? The things that we interact with are necessarily built up out of many different levels of abstraction.

And then the question becomes whether we really know we step into any actual river or if we merely think we're doing it. We're only thinking we're stepping in and it's only into our mental abstraction of a river.

Again, what could it possibly mean to say that something is not an "actual river" independently of the abstract knowledge that tells us what a river is? That river might not exist as a "thing" to a bat, a fish, or an insect, because those organisms don't interact with such a body of water in the same way that human beings do. When you sit down, does your "lap" actually exist? What could it mean to an organism that had no experience of legs and joints?

Is the self-reported pain scale 1 to 10 empirically, objectively valid?
It certainly is useful.

Is the law of the excluded middle useful notwithstanding the fact that you can't empirically verify the subject in every case?
”The law of the excluded middle” is only useful where it applies. Its not valid in every case. It is simply a statement that ”the things under discussion is by definition only true or false”

Are you trying to suggest that the human mind has somehow inevitably to create something that doesn't really exist out there if it is to understand the world at all?!

Sort of, but what could it mean to say that something exists independently of a model--a web of associations--that a mind creates to give it meaning? The things that we interact with are necessarily built up out of many different levels of abstraction.

And then the question becomes whether we really know we step into any actual river or if we merely think we're doing it. We're only thinking we're stepping in and it's only into our mental abstraction of a river.

Again, what could it possibly mean to say that something is not an "actual river" independently of the abstract knowledge that tells us what a river is? That river might not exist as a "thing" to a bat, a fish, or an insect, because those organisms don't interact with such a body of water in the same way that human beings do. When you sit down, does your "lap" actually exist? What could it mean to an organism that had no experience of legs and joints?

As I understand it, there's a clear sense that we have of a real river, which is whenever we somehow experience one. Then we have memories of such, and then the concept of river, and then maybe abstract representations and theories about rivers. It's apparent that we are able to distinguish between all these things (well, maybe not everybody around here apparently). So all these different things, things we assume are either physically real or just something within our mind, provide the sense for whatever we say about what we think of as an actual river. If I talk of a real river, I'll imagine one and in a way that seems to me directly related to what I remember of me watching the river Seine here in Paris or some river elsewhere.

I take it that we all have an impression that our perceptions are the real material world. Science tells us it's just an impression somehow inside our brain, which logically leads to observe that the scientists' impression that human beings have brains is also just an impression. This doesn't mean there is no brain at all, only that our impressions are likely mere mental model standing for whatever there is out there. All this makes sense, at least as long as we don't reduce the model to that of a purely material world. This also doesn't mean somehow Dualism. It just means that it's coherent to think in terms of what we do know, i.e. broadly our qualia, which because we know them necessarily exist, and what we don't know but believe exists, which may well exist, and why not, but not necessarily and even most likely not much if at all as we imagine it, or even as scientists model it. That much makes sense to me. It's a kind of epistemological dualism, but I'm not even insisting that's definitive. If anybody can offer me a coherent view of reality, one which is both consistent with my subjective experience and my sense of logic, then fine. But for now, all I see is either people I can broadly agree with, or hardcore materialists, or hardcore physicalists, with no argument and not a care for logic.

So to me, when we talk of a river, an "actual river", it may be very different things, not just the "abstract knowledge" version. It may be our perception of an actual river, i.e. we take our perception to be the actual river, or an abstract idea of a river, one that perhaps we think to be the best we can do as a model of what rivers are even when we're not here to look at them. So, we seem to be more like processes than somehow unified and uniform beings. What we say, and think, may remain coherent enough over time, but we shouldn't be fooled by the impression that we are. If we can have an impression that our perception of a river is the actual river, and it certainly seems to be the case, I would assume we can just as easily be fooled into having the impression that our subjective experience of ourselves is really us. We take it to be some thing. I'm certainly in no doubt that all this is real, but I'm very open to the idea that I certainly don't exist as I tend to assume most of the time. "I" exists, but probably more as a collection of disparate subjective processes and events, which fortunately for me do seem to form a very cohesive collectivity with all manner of hidden connections and a very dynamic organisation. So "I" exists, and somehow knows it exists, but it's more likely that it's a different thing from one moment ago. Still, let me reassure my hardcore physicalist readers here, if any, that I'm not going loose at the joints for all my hardly-believable and suspiciously dualist subjectivist conception of reality. The physical world must somehow keep me in one piece.
EB

”The law of the excluded middle” is only useful where it applies. Its not valid in every case. It is simply a statement that ”the things under discussion is by definition only true or false”

I've long been looking for convincing examples of that. Could you elaborate a bit or provide examples?
EB

The philosophy of Heraclitus is summed up in his cryptic utterance:[39]

ποταμοῖσι τοῖσιν αὐτοῖσιν ἐμβαίνουσιν, ἕτερα καὶ ἕτερα ὕδατα ἐπιρρεῖ.
Potamoisi toisin autoisin embainousin, hetera kai hetera hudata epirrei
"Ever-newer waters flow on those who step into the same rivers."
- Wikipedia

That translation sounds more accurate than the usual one, which I've always contested, since rivers are defined by where they are, not by the water running through them.

When the Mississippi river-water empties into the Gulf of Mexico, it is no longer the Mississippi river-water.

So, one can certainly step into the same river twice.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

From the Stanford Encyclopedia on Heraclitus:

3.1 Flux

Barnes bases his Platonic reading on Plato's own statement:

Heraclitus, I believe, says that all things pass and nothing stays, and comparing existing things to the flow of a river, he says you could not step twice into the same river. (Plato Cratylus 402a = A6)

The established scholarly method is to try to verify Plato's interpretation by looking at Heraclitus' own words, if possible. There are three alleged “river fragments”:

B12. potamoisi toisin autoisin embainousin hetera kai hetera hudata epirrei.

On those stepping into rivers staying the same other and other waters flow. (Cleanthes from Arius Didymus from Eusebius) [Italics and underline by WAB here, as this is the essential meaning.]

B49a. potamois tois autois …

Into the same rivers we step and do not step, we are and are not. (Heraclitus Homericus)

B91[a]. potamôi … tôi autôi …

It is not possible to step twice into the same river according to Heraclitus, or to come into contact twice with a mortal being in the same state. (Plutarch)

Of these only the first has the linguistic density characteristic of Heraclitus' words. The second starts out with the same three words as B12, but in Attic, not in Heraclitus' Ionic dialect, and the second clause has no grammatical connection to the first. The third is patently a paraphrase by an author famous for quoting from memory rather than from books. Even it starts out in Greek with the word ‘river,’ but in the singular. There is no evidence that repetitions of phrases with variations are part of Heraclitus' style (as they are of Empedocles’). To start with the word ‘river(s)’ goes against normal Greek prose style, and on the plausible assumption that all sources are trying to imitate Heraclitus, who does not repeat himself, we would be led to choose B12 as the one and only river fragment, the only actual quotation from Heraclitus' book. This is the conclusion of Kirk (1954) and Marcovich (1967), based on an interpretation that goes back to Reinhardt (1916). That B12 is genuine is suggested by the features it shares with Heraclitean fragments: syntactic ambiguity (toisin autoisin ‘the same’ [in the dative] can be construed either with ‘rivers’ [“the same rivers”] or with ‘those stepping in’ [“the same people”], with what comes before or after), chiasmus, sound-painting (the first phrase creates the sound of rushing water with its diphthongs and sibilants), rhyme and alliteration.[1]

Is the self-reported pain scale 1 to 10 empirically, objectively valid?
It certainly is useful.

Is the law of the excluded middle useful notwithstanding the fact that you can't empirically verify the subject in every case?

Not exactly. You are referring to the principle of bivalence. The law of EM says if one thing is true its negation is false.

Well gee whiz. What type of capital "E" empiricism is your op about?
The logical objection to an inconsistent, ad hoc epistemology would be that it is inconsistent and ad hoc. Can we dependably rely on the evidence of our senses or not?

[insert blind men and elephant picture here]
blind men and elephant picture has been properly debunked elsewhere..
empiri makes itself usrul. it is the usefullness of applications of pure logic that needs to show that it is useful.

It's darkly funny here because I've been banned from Physics Forums very quickly after posting my first thread there precisely about the usefulness of logic in science!

And the reason had apparently nothing to do with logic but with the notion of usefulness itself. This is what attracted a furious response from one of their official ayatollahs there. Apparently, asking for the usefulness of anything scientists might do is a bannable offense there.

Deux poids, deux mesures.

Still, I know you're not them and they're not you. I feel safe here.

So, go on, go there and ask your interesting question about "the usefulness of applications of pure logic" in science.
EB

Just WTF is it with scientists?

Personally, since so many people post here as Anon Y. Mouse, I can't help but wonder how many users here are really scientists.

There was a thread hereabouts where eight or so users had apparently never heard the word of the word "atrophy", or, if they had, they didn't know what it meant. Strange. I would think anyone in ninth grade (American - 14 yrs old) would know that word. Or it could be that since I was the one who first mentioned it, they all had to be their usual snarky, cliquey selves and ignore it.

Going to see that thread now, though I just want to read it. I usually don't even read in the science forums. I'm kind of pissed, as you might be able to tell.

Down the rabbit hole I go.

The fact that an argument, such as a syllogism, is true has no basis in physical reality.

A true logical argument simply means the conclusions follows from the premises.

Knowledge is chemical sates in the brain. Knowledge is whatever you define it to be. Knowledge of abstract metaphysics created by humans has no existence outside of the brain.

If knowledge of the physical reality about us is observation, experiment, and measurements then knowledge is empirical. Empirical knowledge does not necessarily lead to a valid conclusion.

That the Sun was once thought to go round the Earth was once an empirical fact.

Ancient Zog learned what not to eat by empirical observation. Eat a certain mushroom and you die.

WAB

Yes what is with those scientists, I cringe and grip the armrests on the takeoff roll when I fly. If you are going to malign science that is easy to do, but look around you. Your computer, car, cell phone, meds you may take, shoes, clothes, paint on your walls, microwave, TV...etc etc etc etc.

How do you think it all came to be?

I am an engineer, I have worked with scientists.

There are two broad categories of working scientists. The academic theoretical type, like AE. The other is industrial applied scientists that function much like engineers do in a general sense.

No one says anything about who we are, we are after all humans with all the human diversity and shortcomings. I knew a lot of many areas in engineering, and some in science. My chemistry was one class in college, I am pretty much ignorant in chemistry. I'd have to look up an element in the periodic table. My biology is limited to a high school class.

None of us are all knowing. What sets it all apart is that the only thing that matters is empirical demonstration. It trumps all arguments.

I doubt any high school student would know what atrophy means. Anyone with high school math should be able apply trigonometry off the top of their heads years after graduation, right? How is your trigonometry?

Our brains are not computers. We make mistakes, don't always remember facts, an make an error.

That is why empiricism is foundational.

WAB

Yes what is with those scientists, I cringe and grip the armrests on the takeoff roll when I fly. If you are going to malign science that is easy to do, but look around you. Your computer, car, cell phone, meds you may take, shoes, clothes, paint on your walls, microwave, TV...etc etc etc etc.

How do you think it all came to be?

I stopped reading right there.

God fucking dammit, do you think I am so fucking stupid that I don't realize that science is a huge benefit to the world? Check my posts, with a keyword search: I have mentioned MANY times how science is the greatest contributor to progress and the overall health of the world probably dozens of times.

BUT, I repeat: Just WTF IS it with scientists? I still need an answer.

By this I mean: what is it with the complete arrogance, the shitty way they treat people on this website? That's assuming some of these Anon Y Mouses are actually scientists. I think some of them just hang around on Google and fake it while they eat cheese doodles in their mother's basements. How else does one explain how it took a self-educated doofus like me to point out the word "atrophy" in a thread specifically requesting a word or term for which "atrophy" just happened to fit the bill perfectly?

I was so pleasant with you in my Quantum Poetry thread, going out of my way to respond to something you put there, and you return my kindness by being an asshat and treating me like some kind of fucking moron because I happened to ask an extremely pertinent question.

Please keep your idiotic noise away from me unless you have something intelligent to say.

I am unsubscribing from this thread. You can PM me if you'd like to continue the conversation. But I gotta tell you, you're beginning to be a pain in the ass.

Or, you could even try my email, which you can get here in my profile.

I can not imagine what it is like to be utterly ignorant of science and how it works, and ignorant of any understanding of the science of the technology we are swimming in.

It must be terrifying ammf to feel at the mercy of those scientists. I can understand lashing out in frustration.

Back
Top Bottom