• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

'Longest animal ever' discovered in deep-sea canyon off Australian coast

GenesisNemesis

Let's Go Dark Brandon!
Basic Beliefs
Secular Humanist, Scientific Skepticism, Strong Atheism
https://www.livescience.com/longest-animal-ever-underwater-australia.html

Underwater explorers found a 150-foot-long (45 meters) siphonophore — a translucent, stringy creature that, like coral, is made up of smaller critters — living in a submarine canyon off the coast of Australia. It's "seemingly the largest animal ever discovered," they said.

Every individual siphonophore is made up of many little "zooids," which each live lives that are more similar to animals we're used to talking about, albeit always connected to the larger colony. Zooids are born axsexually, and each one performs a function for the siphonophore's larger body, according to a research article published in the journal Developmental Dynamics in 2005. Linked together in long chains, the colonies were already known to reach lengths of up to 130 feet (40 m) according to the Monterey Bay Aquarium — though each siphonophore is only about as thick as a broomstick.

Siphonophorae are quite fascinating.

Confuses me that they refer to it as one animal when it's a colony of animals. I suppose that they basically function as if they were a single animal.

When I was trying to make sense of this, I discovered that the Portugese man o` war is also a siphonophore.

Being a "colony" is cheating! I vote for the bootlace worm: Wiki: "with specimens up to 55 m (180 ft) long being reported, although this has not been confirmed" Anyway, I suppose the latter wins in length:width quotient.

Back
Top Bottom