• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Lynne Rudder Baker has died.

Sorry to lose a great contributor to society.

Ok, lesson learned.

Which is a pity really.

Well, I never knew the woman but reading her obituary she seemed to have had an impact in her field. I am sure her family, colleagues, and former students will miss her. I hope they are all comforted at this time of loss.

Sorry to hear that, Subsymbolic.

I remember our discussion about some of her arguments. Very interesting stuff.

My wife had a professor at uni that inspired her to get a second BA in history. She was a Polish lady that survived the Warsaw ghetto during WW2. Lost most of her family though.

Sorry to hear that, Subsymbolic.

I remember our discussion about some of her arguments. Very interesting stuff.

Why not honor her by starting a thread about what she taught about a particular philosophical position?

After the response I just got? I'd rather not. As I remember. AM pretty well tore me a new one last time I argued a paper of hers! However, As a philosopher coming out of a very hard core AI department and really very convinced by the Churchland's eliminative position on Folk Psychology, LRB's ideas on constitution kept my faith in intentional explanations going when it would have been easy to drop them. I only spoke to her a dozen times or so, but she was incredibly gracious and very helpful, without me having to invoke my supervisor.

Hey, I seem to recall you made some pretty good points in our discussion as well. :)
I never met her, but from what you say, it seems she was a very nice person and a generally deep philosopher, even if I don't always agree with her positions. Also, if some of her arguments convinced you not to go eliminativist, I'd say that's a good thing.

That aside, personally I also would not recommend trying to discuss her papers here. In my view, this isn't a good place for serious philosophy discussions, because at most a few members would be qualified to address the matter or at least have enough time to study it first and become qualified (btw, these days I'm avoiding any discussion that would require me to do any significant amount of research on subjects I'm not already familiar with, or more generally likely to take a considerable amount of time, due to meat space constraints), they might not be interested in a long discussion on the subject anyway (if they happen to find the thread), and even if they are and you get some interesting replies, it is very probable that you will have to endure many more replies like the ones you've already encountered in other threads.

Never heard of her.

Your second such comment — actually, nearly exact, except I think the previous example was male — I've seen here just in the last 10 minutes or so. Would it be so hard to either:

1) Highlight name, right-click, "Google search for 'Lynne Rudder Baker'" which would then take you here (if you chose the first link), OR

2) Remained ignorant and simply said nothing?

I had never heard of her either prior to Googling her name, but apparently her passing means something enough to Subsymbolic to share with us all here. Obviously we won't all know people whom others reference, but that's what's great about a place like this: we can learn from each other about other topics, people, cultures, etc. Or we can make rude, insensitive comments to relative strangers online. Don't do the latter, it's not worth it.

Back
Top Bottom