• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Maajid Nawaz fails regressive left's purity test, gets labeled "anti-Muslim extremeist" by SPLC

I am pretty surprised that SPLC took notice of Nawaz at all. He postures himself as a reformer but in reality he's a nonentity who makes a living by talking about reform; the Muslim community doesn't take him seriously at all for a number of reasons.

What is the "Muslim community"? Are the Muslims who work within Quilliam or support their work not part of the "Muslim community"?

SPLC gets overzealous at times, and it can be argued that that's the case here, but the OP is not being honest in his representation of their case against Nawaz. The entirety of that case, and really the only piece of evidence that actually matters here is a letter from 2010, which his organization (then receiving government funding) sent to the British government without the intention of it being publicized.

Far from merely pointing out similarities in the beliefs of political Islamists and violent Islamists, as the OP tried to make it sound, Nawaz's organization more or less accused, with no supporting evidence, a broad spectrum of Muslim organizations, including many with a long history of community outreach and cooperation with the authorities, of having ties to groups like the Muslim Brotherhood or Jamaat-e-Islami and and a hidden agenda of establishing a caliphate under sharia law. He further argues that the government shouldn't engage with such groups because it will strengthen the Islamists and possibly even the terrorists; this is indeed McCarthyism, and nutty conspiratorial bullshit in line with the tinfoil "stealth jihad takeover" theories so prevalent in Europe and the US. Maajid's defense, in one of the articles that the OP cites, that he was merely "listing Muslim organizations" is a fucking bold-faced lie; you can go read the last few pages of the actual document if you think otherwise.

First, Maajid and Quilliam consider desire to turn society into a theocracy and generally oppose liberal democratic values to be "extremist". That is the context. Second, organizations that either specifically advocate this goal or defend those that support this goal were considered for the list. Third, this is a list of organizations, not individuals, and thus can not be compared to the McCarthy tactic of naming _individuals_ and then blacklisting them. Fourth, Quilliam recommends countering against the ideology of theocracy with civil discourse and has opposed attempts to ban any such groups. When they say the government needs to "target" them, they mean target them for push back on the theocratic point. Fifth, Maajid has repeatedly argued against the bullshit idea of a "stealth takeover" (see here: http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presente...d-dismantles-caller-islamic-takeover-britain/)

Just looking up a few examples on that list, they all seem to be well placed. What BS yellow journalism from the Guardian to not investigate whether those Muslim organizations on the list really support or sympathize with theocracy or whether their inclusion was actually baseless. I looked up a few of them and they do all appear to either to be in the business of defending and/or promoting theocracy, or are run by such individuals.

As just one example, The founder and chairman of the Muslim Safety Forum has said the following, an organization which the Guardian allowed to give a response to their inclusion on the list _but did not do their own investigation to determine whether their inclusion was warranted_:

Links to al-Qaeda[edit]

Ali has stated that he has attended talks with Abu Qatada of al-Qaeda.[5] In a 2008 IFE blog, Ali called al-Qaeda's Anwar Al-Awlaki "one of my favourite scholars and speakers".[6] Ali has denied that the 2008 Mumbai attacks were terrorism.[7]

Comments on British soldiers[edit]

In 2009, Ali was suspended as a civil servant in the Treasury after he praised Abdullah Yusuf Azzam, Osama bin Laden's key mentor, and wrote approvingly on his blog of Azzam's son saying that as a Muslim he is religiously obliged to kill British soldiers in Iraq.[4] In the blog he also criticised the British Foreign Secretary David Miliband after the minister had condemned the Palestinian Muslim militant organisation Hamas for encouraging attacks on Israeli civilians.[8] The exposé was by The Mail on Sunday, whom Ali unsuccessfully sued in 2010.[4][9][10] Later that year, the Labour Party were accused by the opposition Conservatives of appearing with Ali to gain Muslim votes, after two Labour ministers, Harriet Harman and Ed Miliband, spoke at a campaign event with Ali. He used his speech to praise the Muslim militant groups Hamas and Hezbollah.[10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azad_Ali#Comments_on_British_soldiers

Whether or not this letter alone justifies putting Nawaz on a list with people like Pamela Geller and Walid Shoebat is much more open to debate; I'd tend to say no, because I don't think he's as off the wall ideologically,

Where is he wrong, ideologically?

and his public rhetoric is lower profile and much more measured. I think he's a self-promoter - someone who makes a living off of the appearance of being a reformer even though he isn't affecting any real change at all.

Irrelevant ad-hominem

He has no credibility in the Muslim community, which is why this letter was only discovered because someone leaked it online;

There's that word again, "Muslim community". You smear those Muslims who support Maajid and Quilliam and their work by essentially excluding these individuals from the "Muslim community". That is something fundamentalists love doing, categorizing people as not real Muslims™ if they don't pass some sort of purity test.

his public statements are much more balanced and reasonable.

What do you find unreasonable in his private comments?

He has a tendency to walk a tightrope between maintaining his liberal Muslim credentials and appeasing the right-wingers and 9/11 liberals who are his only real audience. So while there's a case to be made that the SPLC took things too far here, at least represent their evidence fairly.

So far, it seems like it is you who has misrepresented it. The objection seems to be "some orgs on Quilliam's list shouldn't have been included as supporting or sympathetic to theocracy or having associations with other Islamist groups such as the Muslim Brotherhood." Ok, let's start talking specifics.

Last edited:
So the reason why Nawaz was put on a list of extremists is that he had compiled a list of extremists of his own? By that reasoning, isn't SPLC being extremist?

Did you read what I posted or what?

Far from merely pointing out similarities in the beliefs of political Islamists and violent Islamists, as the OP tried to make it sound, Nawaz's organization more or less accused, with no supporting evidence, a broad spectrum of Muslim organizations, including many with a long history of community outreach and cooperation with the authorities, of having ties to groups like the Muslim Brotherhood or Jamaat-e-Islami and and a hidden agenda of establishing a caliphate under sharia law. He further argues that the government shouldn't engage with such groups because it will strengthen the Islamists and possibly even the terrorists

This is exactly the kind of shit the McCarthyites did, and a huge dent in the credibility of anybody claiming to be some kind of "liberal reformer." His public proclamations don't read in this manner, but the fact that he was receiving taxpayer money to advise the government with this kind of rubbish is troubling.

The "no supporting evidence" charge is BS. This was a private memo to certain government officials. The evidence itself doesn't need to be included in the private memo. It does, however, need to be producible if requested. Was the evidence requested? What was Quilliam's response? Your "no evidence" charge is baseless unless you can demonstrate that, when requested, Quilliam was unable to produce any.

I do however consider it progress of a sort that Muslim organizations consider it a smear to be accused of supporting or being sympathetic to theocracy (or associated with organizations that do so). Will they come out and denounce any and all organizations that either support or are sympathetic to theocratic politics? There are lots of such organizations out there.

This phenomena does not take place in a vacuum.

It takes place in a sea of anti-Muslim hysteria.
There is at least an equal amount of pro-islamist hysteria where everyone who publicly criticizes Islam is labeled an "anti-muslim extremist". I think SPLC did a huge disservice to dispelling said hysteria by lumping Maajid Nawaz with the likes of Pamela Geller.

Unfortunately, this is par for the course with liberal organizations--so many are unwilling to believe there are more than a few radicals. In reality attitudes are on a curve--and the violent ones are a very small tail on a much larger group that's not quite so radical.

1. It increases the chances that Maajid will be targeted for an attack.....
You cannot be serious. You think that Muslim extremists pay attention to lists from the SPLC?
2. It smears the reputation of the individual in question and makes it much harder to do his extremely valuable work.
Two observations. First, how does it make it harder for him to perform his work? Second, You have no problem smearing the SPLC with your comparisons to McCarthy. And the SPLC does have a record of doing valuable work (unlike Maajid).

This phenomena does not take place in a vacuum.

It takes place in a sea of anti-Muslim hysteria.
There is at least an equal amount of pro-islamist hysteria where everyone who publicly criticizes Islam is labeled an "anti-muslim extremist". I think SPLC did a huge disservice to dispelling said hysteria by lumping Maajid Nawaz with the likes of Pamela Geller.

There is NO pro-islamic hysteria.

There is just reason and the knowledge that little of the violence occurring in the ME is ultimately fueled by religion.

The violence in the ME is political.

It is the same story as old as humans, people fighting over land and resources.

Religion is just something used to motivate low level fighters in this political war.

The claims themselves about associations and religious leanings of various islamic organizations are not something that is secret

So what? McCarthy's allegations against all manner of people in the government, military and private sector weren't secret either. That doesn't make them any less serious, or despicable if based on no substantive evidence.

and I would not expect that info to be included in such a short supplementary list.

That doesn't surprise me, because you clearly don't care about the evidence anyway. You already chastised the organizations for holding "extremist views," even though I'm just about positive you know nothing about any of them.

If the recommendations of the report were taken into consideration, then the officials could easily verify the information.

Nonsensical, self-serving logic. If they could "easily verify" everything Quilliam states in its report, why the fuck would they pay them to write it in the first place? Do you not get the fact that the government was turning to Quilliam to provide some sort of insight into the Muslim community that it doesn't have itself?

The whole purpose of the report, and the reason Quilliam was being paid by the government, was to advise them on how to better handle the issue of radicalism and terror; their "expert" advice was to view vast swathes of Muslim organizations, and thus, much of the Muslim community, as Islamists who want to take over and impose Sharia law, and accordingly, not to engage with them. All the while producing no evidence to support any of these allegations.

And that's fucking outrageous, very damning for Nawaz and even moreso for the government officials paying him for his consult.

In any case I think Quilliam is much more credible in its assessment of these organizations than, say, a random person on a forum.

That would matter if I were the one being paid to advise the government on how to interact with an entire demographic, and smearing huge portions of them without evidence in the process. But I'm not. See the difference?

Quick googling of some of them shows that they do. For example: Radicalisation among Muslims in the UK mentions quite a few of those, as does this report from Quilliam foundation.

You're going to need to do far better than this.

Your first report only deals with a handful of the literal dozens of organizations in Quilliam's list (one of which is banned, and the other openly extremist), and leans far too heavily on a right-wing think tank (Policy Exchange) for information; as for the Quilliam source itself, you obviously didn't read it as it doesn't bear out these allegations at all.

But more importantly, you obviously don't grasp the fact that any allegations of this nature that don't have some kind of evidence behind them are by nature McCarthyist and wrong, even if some of the other allegations are correct.

I presume you are referring to the thread where you criticized the Norwegian foreign minister for his audacity to question Saudi funding of mosques abroad. In fact, you seem to be only commenting on threads to defend the most fucked up islamist extremists.

I think what you meant to say is "the only time Warpoet interacts with me is when I'm saying stupid ignorant shit about groups of people I don't know anything about."

Which would be fine in terms of fairness, but your argumentation has nothing to do with "logic" and everything to do with intentionally misrepresenting your opponents' arguments and engaging in personal insults.

It's funny listening to someone complain about their arguments being misrepresented, when you just now engaged in exactly the kind of foolish McCarthyesque non-reasoning I've been talking about the entire time. Smooth, Jayjay.

(Hint, I never said all rich saudis are "bad people", just that them being used as a front to fund wahhabist mosques doesn't make those mosques any less wahhabist, and that they have no inherent right to build mosques in Norway or elsewhere than anyone else.)

No, you actually said exactly what I just attributed to you. You think that being a wealthy Saudi makes someone complicit in the crimes of the Saudi government, which is fucking absurd. But it's far from the only time you've engaged in such shit reasoning.

Why do so many people see Muslims as so fragile that we shouldn't criticize Islam? And why don't we see the same hypersensitivity in regard to Mormons and Scientologists? Is it because people associate Islam racially? Is it US imperialism guilt? Is it something else? Did something similar happen after the USA dropped the bomb on Japan and put Japanese Americans in concentration camps in regard to their religion? Was it taboo to criticize Shintoism?

Or is something else going on here?

What is the "Muslim community"? Are the Muslims who work within Quilliam or support their work not part of the "Muslim community"?

Let's not waste time playing silly semantic games like this. It should be pretty clear that someone who purports to be a reformer within a given community would hold such standing that he could affect real change; Maajid Nawaz has no such standing within the Muslim community. That some other self-identified Muslims might agree with him doesn't mean anything; Donald Trump has blacks and homosexuals who support him, but no one would seriously attempt to argue that he has credibility within either community.

First, Maajid and Quilliam consider desire to turn society into a theocracy and generally oppose liberal democratic values to be "extremist". That is the context.

The problem is not their disdain for groups that want to take over the UK and turn it into a theocracy, it's their unsubstantiated allegations that literally dozens of Muslim organizations have some hidden agenda of doing so.

Second, organizations that either specifically advocate this goal or defend those that support this goal were considered for the list. Third, this is a list of organizations, not individuals, and thus can not be compared to the McCarthy tactic of naming _individuals_ and then blacklisting them.

Axulus, I am pretty disappointed to see you engaging in this kind of crappy argumentation. I'd expect it from Jayjay, but from you, I expect better.

There is no such requirement for something to constitute to McCarthyism. It is defined as thus:

1. the practice of making accusations of disloyalty, especially of pro-Communist activity, in many instances unsupported by proof or based on slight, doubtful, or irrelevant evidence.
2. the practice of making unfair allegations or using unfair investigative techniques, especially in order to restrict dissent or political criticism.

There is no requirement that the target be an individual; any allegations of subversive or treasonous behavior without sufficient evidence will do. And either one should be unacceptable to you, assuming that you value things like due process.

Fourth, Quilliam recommends countering against the ideology of theocracy with civil discourse and has opposed attempts to ban any such groups. When they say the government needs to "target" them, they mean target them for push back on the theocratic point.

No, this is a misleading or at best incomplete analysis. The Quilliam report clearly discourages discourse, engagement or outreach with these groups on the grounds that it could empower extremists.

Fifth, Maajid has repeatedly argued against the bullshit idea of a "stealth takeover" (see here: http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presente...d-dismantles-caller-islamic-takeover-britain/)

As I said, Nawaz's public persona strikes a markedly different tone than this leaked government memo, which points to the conclusion that he is not totally forthcoming.

Maybe instead of reflexively defending him, you should consider the possibility that his motives are more complicated than they appear to you on the surface.

Just looking up a few examples on that list, they all seem to be well placed. What BS yellow journalism from the Guardian to not investigate whether those Muslim organizations on the list really support or sympathize with theocracy or whether their inclusion was actually baseless.

Your tone suggests that you are not at all approaching this issue rationally; it is the job of someone being paid to advise the government to justify including these groups in what more or less amounts to a fifth column, not the job of a newspaper to attempt to validate each and every example.

I looked up a few of them and they do all appear to either to be in the business of defending and/or promoting theocracy, or are run by such individuals.

Then produce the evidence, comprehensively, since Quilliam didn't do so.

As just one example, The founder and chairman of the Muslim Safety Forum has said the following, an organization which the Guardian allowed to give a response to their inclusion on the list _but did not do their own investigation to determine whether their inclusion was warranted_:

Links to al-Qaeda[edit]

Ali has stated that he has attended talks with Abu Qatada of al-Qaeda.[5] In a 2008 IFE blog, Ali called al-Qaeda's Anwar Al-Awlaki "one of my favourite scholars and speakers".[6] Ali has denied that the 2008 Mumbai attacks were terrorism.[7]

Comments on British soldiers[edit]

In 2009, Ali was suspended as a civil servant in the Treasury after he praised Abdullah Yusuf Azzam, Osama bin Laden's key mentor, and wrote approvingly on his blog of Azzam's son saying that as a Muslim he is religiously obliged to kill British soldiers in Iraq.[4] In the blog he also criticised the British Foreign Secretary David Miliband after the minister had condemned the Palestinian Muslim militant organisation Hamas for encouraging attacks on Israeli civilians.[8] The exposé was by The Mail on Sunday, whom Ali unsuccessfully sued in 2010.[4][9][10] Later that year, the Labour Party were accused by the opposition Conservatives of appearing with Ali to gain Muslim votes, after two Labour ministers, Harriet Harman and Ed Miliband, spoke at a campaign event with Ali. He used his speech to praise the Muslim militant groups Hamas and Hezbollah.[10]

It amazes me that you don't see the logical fallacy you're engaging in here. The whole reason you started this thread is that the SPLC unfairly maligned someone you apparently hold in high regard - they placed him on a list of "anti-Muslim extremists," which you find utterly outrageous.

But the fact is that many - in fact, most of the other people on that list - Pamela Geller, Frank Gaffney, Steve Emerson et al - clearly and undeniably deserve to included. And unlike Quilliam, SPLC actually provided the evidence to support their inclusion.

So if we follow the lazy and self-serving logic you're employing here, if SPLC had compiled this list without that evidence, and someone who didn't know better googled one of the people on it and found that they are in fact an anti-Muslim extremist, that would suddenly exonerate their inclusion of everyone on it, including Nawaz.

You're simply not being reasonable, here, Axulus; either people deserve to be afforded due process, and the dignity of not being slandered without supporting evidence, or it's a fucking free for all where anyone can hurl out preposterous allegations without sanction. There are literally dozens of organizations on the list; the idea that because you searched and found evidence that one of them had a founder with extremist views (though what you quoted doesn't even bear out the specific allegation of ties to Jaamat-e-Islami) gets Nawaz off the hook is precisely the kind of shitty logic that enables McCarthyism, and makes it so dangerous. At least some of the hundreds of people McCarthy accused actually were Soviet spies or at least sympathizers. But this in no way exonerates his complete disregard for standards of evidence or due process. It's no different when accusing Muslims of being subversive traitors.

Where is he wrong, ideologically?

It's hard to pin down because he's inconsistent in his rhetoric, behavior and associations. This article does a pretty good outlining the concerns many people have about him. Personally, I don't really care much about him either way.

Irrelevant ad-hominem

Not really - it speaks to his potential motivations for saying one thing in private and another in public.

But I do wonder why you are so keen to defend him, and pounce on every negative thing that's said about him.

There's that word again, "Muslim community". You smear those Muslims who support Maajid and Quilliam and their work by essentially excluding these individuals from the "Muslim community". That is something fundamentalists love doing, categorizing people as not real Muslims™ if they don't pass some sort of purity test.

It's not a purity test, but rather a perception by Muslims that he is not sincerely interested in engaging with them or bettering their communities, but rather in convincing non-Muslims he's trying to "fix" the problem of extremism.

What do you find unreasonable in his private comments?

Already addressed at length.

So far, it seems like it is you who has misrepresented it. The objection seems to be "some orgs on Quilliam's list shouldn't have been included as supporting or sympathetic to theocracy or having associations with other Islamist groups such as the Muslim Brotherhood." Ok, let's start talking specifics.

The specifics should have been outlined when Quilliam sent the document to the British government, not left for internet posters to sort through. Placing accusations of this magnitude, unsupported, in the appendices of a 70-page document meant to offer law enforcement guidance on how to deal with the entire Muslim community is a fucking joke.

As for this:

The "no supporting evidence" charge is BS. This was a private memo to certain government officials. The evidence itself doesn't need to be included in the private memo. It does, however, need to be producible if requested. Was the evidence requested? What was Quilliam's response? Your "no evidence" charge is baseless unless you can demonstrate that, when requested, Quilliam was unable to produce any.

A) I'm doubtful the government cares enough to request the evidence; if they're anywhere near as bad as U.S. law enforcement, which has a long track record of hiring extremist nutjobs to "advise" law enforcement on terrorism and Islamic extremism, then I highly doubt they did anything of the sort
B) If you had done the research before leaping to Nawaz's defense, you'd know that his response was wholly deflective and lacking substance:

The main body of the document reviewed Government departments involved in the
counter-extremism agenda and made policy suggestions. The document also had an
appendix entitled ‘The British Muslim Scene’, which detailed the affiliations and
backgrounds of a number of prominent British Muslim organisations, including their
external influences. In no way was it a ‘Terror List’, nor was any of the categorisation
incorrect.

This is a disingenuous and half-hearted attempt at swatting away very serious questions about equally serious accusations against many different organizations. Trying to justify the list on the grounds that it was not a "terror list," or advocating banning any of the groups in question, misses the point - it ascribes to these groups subversive agendas of Islamism, with the implied goal of undermining the UK's secular framework and instituting a theocracy. These are not accusations to be taken lightly, and should have been thoroughly validated in the original document. But they weren't there, nor in this response; Quilliam simply claims that they were correct without providing any further evidence. In all likelihood, they either don't have any, or know it would fall apart under scrutiny and discredit them as "liberal Muslim reformers." I think they didn't expect the document to be publicized, nor for the government to ask for any supporting evidence, and thus figured they could get away with it, get paid and go on with their day-to-day work of looking busy while not really changing anything on the ground.

The fact that you are so vociferously defending someone who labels so many people as subversive elements, but doesn't feel it's necessary to provide any kind of substantiating evidence, and then evades and misdirects when criticized for doing so, should give you some pause, Axulus.

Last edited:

There is just reason and the knowledge that little of the violence occurring in the ME is ultimately fueled by religion.

Religion is just something used to motivate low level fighters in this political war.

Then why is the vast majority of it Sunni vs Shia?

Even if there were a real case against Nawaz, SPLC blew their credibility with the gossipy inanities that they included in their charges against him. They actually included there that he went to a strip club. The whole thing was a horribly unpersuasive statement.

And here is the text of the allegedly anti-Muslim Appendix A in the Quillam report.

59 | P a g e

Appendix A: The British 'Muslim scene'

British Muslims are a diverse collection of individuals. Most come from traditional South Asian

approaches to Islam (mainly Barelwi and Deobandi). However many of the groups that aspire to
partner with local and central government have tended to be influenced by minority Islamist and/or
Wahhabist interpretations of Islam. This brief overview is intended to outline some of the key groups
active in the UK and to show where their ideological and sectarian affinities lie.

Islamist influenced groups, mosques and media outlets

These are a selection of the various groups and institutions active in the UK which are broadly

sympathetic to Islamism. Whilst only a small proportion will agree with al-Qaeda's tactics, many will
agree with their overall goal of creating a single 'Islamic state' which would bring together all Muslims
around the world under a single government and then impose on them a single interpretation of
shari'ah as state law. Local and central government should be wary of engagement with these groups
as it risks empowering proponents of the ideology, if not the methodology, that is behind terrorism.
Some individuals within these groups may not fully subscribe to all aspects of Islamist ideologies or may
be beginning to move away from such ideologies.

Militant Islamist groups:

• Al-Muhajiroun and various front groups70
• Un-named 'self-starter' groups inspired by al-Qaeda or other versions of militant Islamism.

Revolutionary Islamist groups:

• Hizb ut-Tahrir
• Hittin Institute

Political/entry-level Islamist groups:

• Groups associated with the Muslim brotherhood:
• Muslim Council of Britain
• Muslim Association of Britain
• Federation Of Student Islamic Societies (FOSIS)71

70 Al-Muhajiroun was banned in January 2010. Front groups have since been created to get around this ban. At
date of writing these include:- Call2lslam, Voting is Shirk, Mansoor Institute, Bedford Dawah, Burton Dawah,
Tawheed Movement and Salafi Media, Muslims Against Crusaders, among others.

60 | P a g e

• Cordoba Foundation
• Scottish Islamic Foundation
• North London Central Mosque (Finsbury Park Mosque)
• Muslim Welfare House
• British Muslim Initiative
• Groups associated with Jamaat-e-lslami:
• Islamic Forum Europe
• Da'watul Islam
• Birmingham Central Mosque
• Muslim Safety Forum
• East London Mosque and London Muslim Centre
• Islamic Foundation/Markfield Institute (Leicester)
• UK Islamic Mission
• Other Islamist groups:
• iEngage
• Islam Channel
• Islamic Human Rights Commission

Groups in flux:
Some groups active in the UK which have previously been closely linked to global Islamist groups and of
which some or several leading (or former leading) members are sympathetic to Islamism are now
beginning to move away from their origins. Their trajectory will likely be shaped by the tone of the
government's behaviour towards them. Therefore, critical engagement which demands a rejection of
Islamist ideas could well bring positive results whilst uncritical engagement for the sake of engagement
may encourage these groups to slip back towards Islamism.
• Islamic Society of Britain

71 After being established as a Muslim Brotherhood front group in 1962, FOSIS has since introduced a degree of
democratisation, which Wahhabist-influenced individuals have taken advantage of to become the dominating
group at present. See chapter on BIS for more information about FOSIS.

61 | P a g e

Wahhabist influenced groups and mosques

Wahhabism is a trend within Islam which is associated with stripping away cultural manifestations of
Islam and imposing extremely conservative social values which, in a British context, may threaten
integration and national cohesion. It should also be noted that these attitudes are an essential part of
the Salafi-Jihadist ideology which lies behind al-Qaeda and other terrorist groups. However, some
Salafist inspired groups (Jam'iat Ihyaa' Minhaaj Al-Sunnah -JIMAS -for example) are able to reach a
degree of reconciliation between conservative social values and a liberal, secular public space.

• Jamiat Ahl e Hadith or Ahl ul Hadith mosques across the country
• Al-Maghrib Institute
• Tayyibun Institute
• STREET (Strategy To Reach Empower & Educate Teenagers)
• Green + Chambers Consulting
• Siraat
• World Association of Muslim Youth (WAMY)
• Al-Muntada Al-lslami Trust
• Green Lane Mosque (Birmingham)
• Ibn Taymiyyah Mosque (aka. Brixton Mosque, South London)
• London Central Mosque (aka. Regents Park Mosque, North London)
• Al-Tawhid Mosque (Leyton, East London)
• Muslim World League (aka. Goodge Street Mosque)
• Islamic Cultural Society (aka. Luton Central Mosque)
• Lewisham Islamic Centre

Traditional South Asian and Sufi approaches to Islam

The majority of practicing British Muslims ascribe to traditional South Asian schools and traditions of

Islam. These traditions are most often represented by the Deobandi and Bareiwi schools of thought,
while other ethnic groups such as Somalis also follow their own local Sufi orders. These traditionalist
groups are unlikely to have any sympathy with the modern ideology of Islamism, although some
individuals from these groups may well hold conservative social values which can threaten to

62 | P a g e
undermine integration and threaten national cohesion.72 These groups do not, however, generally
represent a terrorism-related security threat and engagement involving (where necessary) a values
based challenge could, if done correctly, yield positive results.
• Many of the largest mosques in Leeds, Bradford, East London and Luton follow traditional
South Asian forms of Islam.
• In addition, there are several national groups that are mostly influenced by Sufism. At present,
many of these groups are still growing but in time they may become a substantial force for
good.

72 Some offshoots of mainstream Deobandism have, however, adopted some Islamist ideologies as a result of
their contacts with Wahhabism and from encountering Islamists from groups such as Jamaat-e-lslami and the
Muslim Brotherhood.

I have looked into some of these groups too and everyone I looked at you could find an activity or someone involved that could be called Islamist. Opposing Islamism is not anti-Muslim extremism.

I have looked into some of these groups too and everyone I looked at you could find an activity or someone involved that could be called Islamist. Opposing Islamism is not anti-Muslim extremism.

Anything "could be called Islamist" by anybody. That's a meaningless observation; the only thing that matters is the credibility of the actual evidence, of which Quilliam provides none.

You're the third person so far to follow this kind of lazy, handwaving reasoning, which is precisely what enabled McCarthy and his ilk to ruin so many peoples' livelihoods and reputations. They'd accuse huge numbers of people of serious crimes - like being spies for the Soviet Union - without proper regard for evidence or due process. But so long as they managed to prove that one or two of them actually were spies, and that an additional number were guilty something far less severe - like being members of a Socialist organization, or associated with someone who was - people didn't care about their disregard for standards of evidence, and they got away with it. And you and others in the thread are now making excuses for the same kind of behavior.

Either due process matters or it doesn't; either people are innocent until proven guilty or they're not. It's a fucking double standard to accuse the SPLC of McCarthyism because they made one inclusion you disagree with on a list that's otherwise spot-on and well-sourced, but then wave your hand and excuse the behavior they cite - namely, that person's organization broad-brush smearing dozens of organizations as part of some subversive fifth column and not producing any evidence to back it up. It's quite possible that some percentage of the list is accurate, but without evidence, there's no reason to believe that's the case. And frankly, the idea of Quilliam, an organization with 10 employees, having the resources to make such broad assessments credibly is far-fetched at best. But if even one of their categorizations is wrong, you have to hold them to the same standard you'd hold the SPLC, or you're a hypocrite.

Last edited:
1. It increases the chances that Maajid will be targeted for an attack.

It’s not as if there’s any shortage of Muslim extremists who want me dead. They exist in numbers so plenty that former jihadists have even taken to calling in to my live LBC radio show to confess to once having made plans to assassinate me.

The danger is not just a remote possibility. Salman Rushdie experienced a failed assassination attempt for writing The Satanic Verses, Theo Van Gogh was killed for making a film, Danish cartoonists were targeted, Paris cartoonists were murdered, ten secular bloggers in Bangladesh were murdered after appearing on a list, Ayyan Hirsi Ali has to have a regular security detail after receiving numerous credible threats, etc.

2. It smears the reputation of the individual in question and makes it much harder to do his extremely valuable work.
I agree with the second point, but I don't think it increases the probability of an attack that much. The people who want Nawaz dead wouldn't need SPLC's lists to justify themselves.

I am under the impression that SPLC is an influential civil rights organization. Don't you think it might be somewhat harmful not only to Nawaz but other moderate muslims who agree with him to be labeled an anti-muslim extremist on SPLC's black list?
No.

No, because LD advocates the kind of left-wing authoritarian state that actual liberals like Nawaz oppose. When you are a leftist extremist (like the SPLC and laughing dog), then labeling actual liberals as extremists is not "dangerous", but an effective rhetorical strategy to fight against the greatest threat to leftist extremism which is moderate liberal secularism (the authoritarian right and left are mutually reinforcing sides of the same coin).

Which is exactly why such usage of religion should be curtailed. British muslims have no economic reasons to disagree with British christians or atheists on the wars in ME. It's religion that makes them think that the West is their enemy, even if they live in the West themselves.

No, because LD advocates the kind of left-wing authoritarian state that actual liberals like Nawaz oppose. When you are a leftist extremist (like the SPLC and laughing dog), then labeling actual liberals as extremists is not "dangerous", but an effective rhetorical strategy to fight against the greatest threat to leftist extremism which is moderate liberal secularism (the authoritarian right and left are mutually reinforcing sides of the same coin).
The irony of your groundless ad hom straw man atackj is magnified by its mindless goostepping "analysis".

So what? McCarthy's allegations against all manner of people in the government, military and private sector weren't secret either. That doesn't make them any less serious, or despicable if based on no substantive evidence.
As Axulus pointed out earlier, the list did not include people, but organizations.

and I would not expect that info to be included in such a short supplementary list.

That doesn't surprise me, because you clearly don't care about the evidence anyway. You already chastised the organizations for holding "extremist views," even though I'm just about positive you know nothing about any of them.
So enlighten me. Which one of these was on the list without merit? Has any one of these organizations been harmed in any way by being on the list? If not, let's see you provide the evidence. I'm not going to do your homework for you since I don't really care about beliefs of muslim communities as long as they keep to themselves.

If the recommendations of the report were taken into consideration, then the officials could easily verify the information.

Nonsensical, self-serving logic. If they could "easily verify" everything Quilliam states in its report, why the fuck would they pay them to write it in the first place? Do you not get the fact that the government was turning to Quilliam to provide some sort of insight into the Muslim community that it doesn't have itself?

The whole purpose of the report, and the reason Quilliam was being paid by the government, was to advise them on how to better handle the issue of radicalism and terror; their "expert" advice was to view vast swathes of Muslim organizations, and thus, much of the Muslim community, as Islamists who want to take over and impose Sharia law, and accordingly, not to engage with them. All the while producing no evidence to support any of these allegations.

And that's fucking outrageous, very damning for Nawaz and even moreso for the government officials paying him for his consult.
The list was just an appendix in the report. It was supplementary information and not crucial to the rest of it. Your outrage over it is a storm in a teacup. Besides.. fuck islam. I couldn't care less about the feelings of backwards muslim congregations.

In any case I think Quilliam is much more credible in its assessment of these organizations than, say, a random person on a forum.

That would matter if I were the one being paid to advise the government on how to interact with an entire demographic, and smearing huge portions of them without evidence in the process. But I'm not. See the difference?

Quick googling of some of them shows that they do. For example: Radicalisation among Muslims in the UK mentions quite a few of those, as does this report from Quilliam foundation.

You're going to need to do far better than this.

Your first report only deals with a handful of the literal dozens of organizations in Quilliam's list (one of which is banned, and the other openly extremist), and leans far too heavily on a right-wing think tank (Policy Exchange) for information; as for the Quilliam source itself, you obviously didn't read it as it doesn't bear out these allegations at all.

But more importantly, you obviously don't grasp the fact that any allegations of this nature that don't have some kind of evidence behind them are by nature McCarthyist and wrong, even if some of the other allegations are correct.
Yes, the stuff I googled dealt with just some of the organisations: But it's good enough for a spot check to see that they are not pulled completely out of thin air. You have not shown that any of the names on the list are wrong and until then I am going to trust Quilliam's expertise rather than the misplaced outrage of butthurt islamist apologists.

I presume you are referring to the thread where you criticized the Norwegian foreign minister for his audacity to question Saudi funding of mosques abroad. In fact, you seem to be only commenting on threads to defend the most fucked up islamist extremists.

I think what you meant to say is "the only time Warpoet interacts with me is when I'm saying stupid ignorant shit about groups of people I don't know anything about."

Which would be fine in terms of fairness, but your argumentation has nothing to do with "logic" and everything to do with intentionally misrepresenting your opponents' arguments and engaging in personal insults.

It's funny listening to someone complain about their arguments being misrepresented, when you just now engaged in exactly the kind of foolish McCarthyesque non-reasoning I've been talking about the entire time. Smooth, Jayjay.
What you love to do is not "reasoning", but pigeon chess: you stalk the forums for anti-muslim threads and when you think someone posts something that you think you can twist and distort to undermine the actual point being made, you swoop in and knock down the board by taking some completely irrelevant sub-topic and blowing it out of proportion. In this case, you are crying "McCarthyism!" all over the place because Quilliam didn't bother to have enough references for your taste in the appendix. There are such things as context and commong fucking sense, you know?

And if anything, it's SPLC is engaging in McCarthyism here since its list included individuals. Just because they bothered to mention their reasoning doesn't change the fact that it has much bigger personal impact on Nawaz than Quilliam's list had on any muslim. Besides do you think McCarthy's lists would have been okay if only he had slipped some footnotes and source references in there? :rolleyes:

(Hint, I never said all rich saudis are "bad people", just that them being used as a front to fund wahhabist mosques doesn't make those mosques any less wahhabist, and that they have no inherent right to build mosques in Norway or elsewhere than anyone else.)

No, you actually said exactly what I just attributed to you. You think that being a wealthy Saudi makes someone complicit in the crimes of the Saudi government, which is fucking absurd. But it's far from the only time you've engaged in such shit reasoning.
Thanks for bothering to find the thread, but obviously your reading comprehension skills have not improved since then. Nowhere in that post do I say that Saudi millionaires are all bad people, or that simply being wealthy makes them complicit. Rather being complicit is what makes them wealthy. Here is what I actualy wrote (in case anyone reading this thread might care):
me said:
Maybe not in a comfy liberal democracy. But Saudi Arabia is a corrupt autocracy. You don't get to be filthy rich in such countries, unless you are either part of or have close ties with the governing elite. And it's not so much about being rich, as it about colluding with the Saudi clerical establishment, which you damn well know is the reason why KSA is what it is, and which is exporting it's brand of intolerant, ultra-conservative Islam not just to its own neighbourhood but all around the world. The individual(s) that you are defending might have nice painted-on beards and shiny gowns, but they still represent a morally bankrupt regime.

(...)

No, I'm saying a Saudi citizens should not be allowed to fund a mosque not simply because of his passport, but because what he is funding [is] a wahhabist brainwashing and or propaganda institution. If an American millionaire were to fund a Saudi mosque, the same thing. And I have no problem with Saudis funding useful charities either.
I did not accuse these hypothetical Saudi millionaires who fund mosques abroad for being complicit because they are rich, I accused them of being complicit because they were demonstrably being complicit.

As Axulus pointed out earlier, the list did not include people, but organizations.

That doesn't matter.

So enlighten me. Which one of these was on the list without merit? Has any one of these organizations been harmed in any way by being on the list? If not, let's see you provide the evidence.

It's really astounding how, despite being taken to task for it multiple times in several different discussions, you still persist in making the same exact mistakes expecting a different outcome - namely, disingenuously trying to transfer the burden of proof when you should have learned by now that it doesn't work.

It is not my job to enlighten you, Nawaz or anyone else, nor to prove the innocence of anyone maligned by his organization. It is his job to validate the accusations he is leveling against others, in full, period. Anything less than that is irresponsible McCarthyism.

I'm not going to do your homework for you since I don't really care about beliefs of muslim communities as long as they keep to themselves.

I know you don't care. That's why you have no problem with people ascribing to others extremist, subversive views even in the absence of evidence that bears it out.

The list was just an appendix in the report. It was supplementary information and not crucial to the rest of it. Your outrage over it is a storm in a teacup.

Oh, cut the bullshit - accusations that dozens of Islamic organizations are engaged in subversive Islamist behavior and ideology are not "supplementary information" to a report that is designed to offer guidance to the fucking government about how to deal with the Muslim community. It's an extremely serious charge that requires thorough substantiation.

Besides.. fuck islam. I couldn't care less about the feelings of backwards muslim congregations.

Yeah, I know how fucking ignorant your views are about Muslims and the rights you think they ought to be afforded. But at least do a better job of trying to keep the lid on your bigotry, will you? It's literally seeping out of your posts.

Yes, the stuff I googled dealt with just some of the organisations: But it's good enough for a spot check to see that they are not pulled completely out of thin air. You have not shown that any of the names on the list are wrong and until then I am going to trust Quilliam's expertise rather than the misplaced outrage of butthurt islamist apologists.

A) I don't give a rat's ass if I convince you or not, Mr. "fuck islam. I couldn't care less about the feelings of backwards muslim congregations" - the fact is that the burden of proof lies entirely on Quilliam, the document you're defending is unsourced, and your sources don't stack up to scrutiny
B) Quilliam's "expertise" is dubious, and certainly, their indifferent attitude towards broad-brush smearing huge numbers of people with minimal concern for evidence doesn't help matters
C) Holding you accountable for your shitty reasoning, no doubt rooted in the kind of bigotry we just saw above, is not "apologism," so you can take that label and blow it out your asshole

What you love to do is not "reasoning", but pigeon chess: you stalk the forums for anti-muslim threads and when you think someone posts something that you think you can twist and distort to undermine the actual point being made, you swoop in and knock down the board by taking some completely irrelevant sub-topic and blowing it out of proportion.

The "actual point" of the thread was hypocritical and fell on its face, for the reasons I've given. None of which you've made a dent in. You're quite fond of pulling this card and crying strawman; it's an easy game to play. But it rarely works out for you, because you can't control your own rhetoric, and end up saying stupid indefensible shit like this:

fuck islam. I couldn't care less about the feelings of backwards muslim congregations.

In this case, you are crying "McCarthyism!" all over the place because Quilliam didn't bother to have enough references for your taste in the appendix. There are such things as context and commong fucking sense, you know?

Yes. Common sense dictates that if an ideological concept has a definition, and if a person or group's behavior matches that definition, then it's perfectly logical to define it as such. McCarthyism is defined as follows:

1. the practice of making accusations of disloyalty, especially of pro-Communist activity, in many instances unsupported by proof or based on slight, doubtful, or irrelevant evidence.
2. the practice of making unfair allegations or using unfair investigative techniques, especially in order to restrict dissent or political criticism

Quilliam's report alleges that countless Muslim organizations in the UK - dozens - have a subversive agenda of undermining the existing society and replacing it with theocracy. They present no evidence to bear out these claims, and evade and misdirect when challenged to do so. So, that's pretty much the definition of McCarthyism.

It's really not that difficult, Jayjay. At least for people who are examining the issue rationally, and without ideological blinders on.

And if anything, it's SPLC is engaging in McCarthyism here since its list included individuals. Just because they bothered to mention their reasoning doesn't change the fact that it has much bigger personal impact on Nawaz than Quilliam's list had on any muslim. Besides do you think McCarthy's lists would have been okay if only he had slipped some footnotes and source references in there? :rolleyes:

Do you not read or just not make an effort to comprehend? The two lists are in no way comparable, because the evidence the SPLC cites largely bears out its conclusions. Quilliam produced no evidence.

Got it yet?

Thanks for bothering to find the thread, but obviously your reading comprehension skills have not improved since then. Nowhere in that post do I say that Saudi millionaires are all bad people, or that simply being wealthy makes them complicit. Rather being complicit is what makes them wealthy.

Holy fucking shit, the doublespeak and duplicity in this paragraph just literally broke my bullshit detector. Like, smoke and sparks are coming out. Give me a second

I did not accuse these hypothetical Saudi millionaires who fund mosques abroad for being complicit because they are rich, I accused them of being complicit because they were demonstrably being complicit.

I think the most hilarious thing about this is that you don't even seem to realize how hypocritical and dishonest it is; this is like the third time I've thrown this particular blunder at you and you still don't get it.

The charge was that you view all rich Saudis as bad people (which is the inescapable conclusion if you start holding them responsible for the crimes of their government, even if you're unwilling to own up to it) just because they're rich and Saudis. And thus, per the context of that thread, not entitled to the same foreign investment rights as everyone else. And now, your brilliant response, which I assume in your mind is unassailable, is "I wasn't saying all rich Saudis are bad people because they're rich, I'm saying all rich Saudis are rich because they're bad people." Fuck's sake.

As if the distinction mattered, or you, some guy sitting in front of a computer in Finland, have somehow earned the right to pass judgment on everyone of means from Saudi Arabia - a country of 30 million people - and to assess their personal level of involvement in the Saudi government's crimes, simply because they're Saudis. Or, for that matter, that you know what all of them do with their money all the time, and you're entitled to dictate to them via discriminatory laws whether they're allowed to do those things.

I'm just going to copy and paste what I said to you back in March 2015, since you evaded it then (and probably will do the same now):

Your nonsensical, irrational assumptions, built on childish stereotypes of the maniacal, fanatical Ay-rab swinging his scimitar around in the desert and profiting off of blood money, is not a basis for discriminating against people. I bet you've never even met a Saudi in your entire life.

There are far more people who have become wealthy through corruption or through the exploitation of others in places like Asia or even "comfy liberal democracies." But you don't give a shit about any of that, because they're not Muslims.

The bolded parts are the key points here. After all, you told us yourself everything we need to know about you and your enlightened views:

"fuck islam. I couldn't care less about the feelings of backwards muslim congregations."​

-Jayjay, 11/1/2016​

Last edited:
Fuck Islam. I couldn't care less about the feelings of backwards Muslim congregations. It needs to be said louder.

Here is Sam Harris' interview with Ayaan Hirsi Ali, also included on that list of "Anti-Muslim Extremists." Her name was on a note skewered to the chest of Theo van Gogh, with a Muslim's knife, in the Netherlands. This point is in the SPLC profile, but don't let that distract you from the more relevant point that Ayaan Hirsi Ali is the extremist.

https://soundcloud.com/samharrisorg/the-borders-of-tolerance-a-conversation-with-ayaan-hirsi-ali

That doesn't matter.

So enlighten me. Which one of these was on the list without merit? Has any one of these organizations been harmed in any way by being on the list? If not, let's see you provide the evidence.

It's really astounding how, despite being taken to task for it multiple times in several different discussions, you still persist in making the same exact mistakes expecting a different outcome - namely, disingenuously trying to transfer the burden of proof when you should have learned by now that it doesn't work.

It is not my job to enlighten you, Nawaz or anyone else, nor to prove the innocence of anyone maligned by his organization. It is his job to validate the accusations he is leveling against others, in full, period. Anything less than that is irresponsible McCarthyism.
You seem not to understand how burden of proof works. If you make a positive claim, such as that some organizations in Quilliam's list were maligned baselessly or that they were harmed by being there, then it's up to you to provide the evidence for it. A single example would suffice. Otherwise your blanket accusations of "McCarthyism" are utterly unfounded.

I'm not going to do your homework for you since I don't really care about beliefs of muslim communities as long as they keep to themselves.

I know you don't care. That's why you have no problem with people ascribing to others extremist, subversive views even in the absence of evidence that bears it out.
The evidence is Quilliam's report. I take it at face value, since there is no reason to doubt it and the few organizations there that I did look into checked out. You certainly haven't managed to provide any reason to think otherwise.

The list was just an appendix in the report. It was supplementary information and not crucial to the rest of it. Your outrage over it is a storm in a teacup.

Oh, cut the bullshit - accusations that dozens of Islamic organizations are engaged in subversive Islamist behavior and ideology are not "supplementary information" to a report that is designed to offer guidance to the fucking government about how to deal with the Muslim community. It's an extremely serious charge that requires thorough substantiation.
You got it backwards again. The context where the information is presented is what determines how extreme it is. It's an appendix that is merely "a brief overview intended to outline some of the key groups active in the UK and to show where their ideological and sectarian affinities lie". That's what it says on the tin. It doesn't pretend to be a hit list or accuse anyone of terrorism, and in fact the main text of the report doesn't even reference the list. The worst you have is a recommendation in the appendix itself that "government should be wary of engagement with these groups", which is not really that harsh.

Your labeling it as "McCarthyism" is orders of magnitude harsher accusation, and SPLC's inclusion on Maajid Nawaz on its own list of extremists has by far more detrimental implications to Nawaz personally and Quilliam foundation's work than the report's appendix.

Besides.. fuck islam. I couldn't care less about the feelings of backwards muslim congregations.

Yeah, I know how fucking ignorant your views are about Muslims and the rights you think they ought to be afforded. But at least do a better job of trying to keep the lid on your bigotry, will you? It's literally seeping out of your posts.
To you, anyone who criticises Islam is a "bigot" and "ignorant". If you can't distinguish criticism of religions, and religious organizations, from blanket statements of all the adherents of the religion, there isn't anything I can do about it.

I must have hit a nerve though because you repeated it four times. You must think you found a gold nugget of a quote that will forever shame me and that you can use to weasel out when your arguments fail you? I even used the F word, something you'd never do, right? :rolleyes:

For example:

A) I don't give a rat's ass if I convince you or not, Mr. "fuck islam. I couldn't care less about the feelings of backwards muslim congregations" - the fact is that the burden of proof lies entirely on Quilliam, the document you're defending is unsourced, and your sources don't stack up to scrutiny
B) Quilliam's "expertise" is dubious, and certainly, their indifferent attitude towards broad-brush smearing huge numbers of people with minimal concern for evidence doesn't help matters
C) Holding you accountable for your shitty reasoning, no doubt rooted in the kind of bigotry we just saw above, is not "apologism," so you can take that label and blow it out your asshole

What you love to do is not "reasoning", but pigeon chess: you stalk the forums for anti-muslim threads and when you think someone posts something that you think you can twist and distort to undermine the actual point being made, you swoop in and knock down the board by taking some completely irrelevant sub-topic and blowing it out of proportion.

The "actual point" of the thread was hypocritical and fell on its face, for the reasons I've given. None of which you've made a dent in. You're quite fond of pulling this card and crying strawman; it's an easy game to play. But it rarely works out for you, because you can't control your own rhetoric, and end up saying stupid indefensible shit like this:

(quote deleted)
See? It's as if you think your poor reasoning is somehow validated by your repeating what I said in misguided belief that giving fuck-all about opinions of religious nutters is somehow "indefensible" and shameful in an atheist/freethinking forum of all places. I have a newsflash for you, calling me a "bigot" and "MacCarthyist" and whatever else does nothing to help your argument. It's exactly the kind of pigeon chess I was talking about.

As for argument above, it boils down to the Quilliam foundations list not bothering to include evidence of islamist ties and leanings of the organizations, as if that is the smoking gun. But it's not, because the list was not intended as academic research paper or as criminal charges. Lack of source references is an irrelevant technicality, if the information itself is valid. And based on (an admittedly superficial) googling of some of those organizations, it is. That's the crux of the argument that you are doing your best to obfuscate with personal insults.

In this case, you are crying "McCarthyism!" all over the place because Quilliam didn't bother to have enough references for your taste in the appendix. There are such things as context and commong fucking sense, you know?

Yes. Common sense dictates that if an ideological concept has a definition, and if a person or group's behavior matches that definition, then it's perfectly logical to define it as such. McCarthyism is defined as follows:

2. the practice of making unfair allegations or using unfair investigative techniques, especially in order to restrict dissent or political criticism

Quilliam's report alleges that countless Muslim organizations in the UK - dozens - have a subversive agenda of undermining the existing society and replacing it with theocracy. They present no evidence to bear out these claims, and evade and misdirect when challenged to do so. So, that's pretty much the definition of McCarthyism.
The list is not "unsupported by proof" (as you have not presented such proof, pretending it is not your burden), and it is not "based on slight, doubtful, or irrelevant evidence" because the appendix does not attempt to source the affiliations of the groups listed. On the other hand, by this definition SPLC's list looks more and more McCarthyist because it listed Nawaz's stripper encounters as "evidence".

Do you not read or just not make an effort to comprehend? The two lists are in no way comparable, because the evidence the SPLC cites largely bears out its conclusions. Quilliam produced no evidence.

Got it yet?
It seems you are the one who is not getting it. If the omission of "evidence" together with the list, regardless of its accuracy nor the consequences (or lack thereof) of being on the list, then MacCarthy's communist lists would have logically been improved by adding footnotes and references as to the communist leanings of the persons on the list. This ignores that the real problem with McCarthy's lists is that people there usually didn't deserve it, i.e. the information was not valid, and there were severe repercussions for people who ended up there. Neither is true with Quilliam's list, as far as I can tell.

Thanks for bothering to find the thread, but obviously your reading comprehension skills have not improved since then. Nowhere in that post do I say that Saudi millionaires are all bad people, or that simply being wealthy makes them complicit. Rather being complicit is what makes them wealthy.

Holy fucking shit, the doublespeak and duplicity in this paragraph just literally broke my bullshit detector. Like, smoke and sparks are coming out. Give me a second

I think the most hilarious thing about this is that you don't even seem to realize how hypocritical and dishonest it is; this is like the third time I've thrown this particular blunder at you and you still don't get it.

The charge was that you view all rich Saudis as bad people (which is the inescapable conclusion if you start holding them responsible for the crimes of their government, even if you're unwilling to own up to it) just because they're rich and Saudis. And thus, per the context of that thread, not entitled to the same foreign investment rights as everyone else. And now, your brilliant response, which I assume in your mind is unassailable, is "I wasn't saying all rich Saudis are bad people because they're rich, I'm saying all rich Saudis are rich because they're bad people." Fuck's sake.

As if the distinction mattered, or you, some guy sitting in front of a computer in Finland, have somehow earned the right to pass judgment on everyone of means from Saudi Arabia - a country of 30 million people - and to assess their personal level of involvement in the Saudi government's crimes, simply because they're Saudis. Or, for that matter, that you know what all of them do with their money all the time, and you're entitled to dictate to them via discriminatory laws whether they're allowed to do those things.

I'm just going to copy and paste what I said to you back in March 2015, since you evaded it then (and probably will do the same now):

Your nonsensical, irrational assumptions, built on childish stereotypes of the maniacal, fanatical Ay-rab swinging his scimitar around in the desert and profiting off of blood money, is not a basis for discriminating against people. I bet you've never even met a Saudi in your entire life.

There are far more people who have become wealthy through corruption or through the exploitation of others in places like Asia or even "comfy liberal democracies." But you don't give a shit about any of that, because they're not Muslims.

The bolded parts are the key points here.
What nonsense. I was not passing judgment on everyone in Saudi Arabia, only the elites and even them just because of their subversive and hypocritical actions. The context of the discussion was that you accused the Norwegian foreign minister of being a xenophobe because he had written in a rejection note of a Saudi-funded mosque that it would have been "paradoxical as long as it's a crime to establish a Christian community in Saudi Arabia". Norway has laws to limit funding of foreign mosques anyway so it's not as if this was even a legal factor in the rejection. But then you invented some imaginary innocent Saudi businessmen and their rights being violated somehow because they cannot not fund wahhabist mosques in Norway. That's ridiculous hyperbole and misdirection; your brand of "pigeon chess" that shows exactly the same pattern that you have in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom