• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Making Coffee

So yesterday I splurged on the most expensive coffee I've ever purchased, $14.20 per pound. I bought 1/2 pound coarsely ground. Wow does the house smell great!

12 oz cold filtered water, 11 grams coffee, steep for 12 hours in airtight container. I gave it a couple shakes along the way. I then filtered it through a paper drip filter, added 100 grams of unsweetened almond milk.

It's very good, barely a hint of bitterness, which may simply be the result of the long steeping time. Recommendations go from 6 to 12 hours and mine was probably 13 hours, but it is very good.

Caffeine relieves pain, which is scientific fact. Caffeine and coffee also bring on IBS symptoms in yours truly and I wish to find out if the reduced acidity in cold brew can allow me to have a bit of pain relief and the health benefits that come with coffee consumption.

My recipe is half strength of recommended, IOW twice the water. I also had to confess my behavior to my wife with whom I've had a pact for the past 12 years that I would not drink coffee. But she is okay with my plan. :)

You may also find that acidity varies from region to region. IIRC, Central and South American beans tend to be less acidic, African ones more.

You may also find that acidity varies from region to region. IIRC, Central and South American beans tend to be less acidic, African ones more.

That's good news for me and my IBS. These beans are from Peru and acid food is the pits for me.

It's been two days and I am getting a lot more done and feeling a lot better. Could be the cold bug is going away too.

That is a serious coffee machine, too much machine for me, but I hope it delivers for you!

On a separate note I put some cold brew into the fridge this morning, it will brew there for 24 hours. Word has it that it does not matter whether it is brewed cold or at room temperature.

Because the coffee I'm using tastes and smells so good I cut the recipe in half and am using one tablespoon of grounds instead of two. This morning's coffee was excellent at that recipe, I could detect no difference in taste, aroma or how it went down. Tasted great.

Was caffeine-free this week outside of a few cups of Hojicha. Honestly, I'm shocked at how much better I feel. In retrospect coffee was more of a drain than anything else.

Was caffeine-free this week outside of a few cups of Hojicha. Honestly, I'm shocked at how much better I feel. In retrospect coffee was more of a drain than anything else.
My latest coffee iteration is to combine one tablespoon of grinds with 1.5 cups of water and then let it steep at room temperature for a day giving it an occasional shake. If I don't use it within 24 hours it goes into the fridge. After filtering I add 1/2 cup of some type creamer. I've found that skim milk is not so good, might be healthy but doesn't have a very good taste.

Have you ever tried yerba mate? It's been a while since I've used it but am thinking of giving it a try. As far as caffeine content it is between coffee and tea.

My latest coffee iteration is to combine one tablespoon of grinds with 1.5 cups of water and then let it steep at room temperature for a day giving it an occasional shake. If I don't use it within 24 hours it goes into the fridge. After filtering I add 1/2 cup of some type creamer. I've found that skim milk is not so good, might be healthy but doesn't have a very good taste.

Have you ever tried yerba mate? It's been a while since I've used it but am thinking of giving it a try. As far as caffeine content it is between coffee and tea.

I actually have some time ago but never stuck with it. IIRC, it was more the flavour I wasn't crazy about, just didn't find it more satisfying than coffee or traditional tea.

I've been using a classic french press for the past 6 months. Love it! Bought it off Amazon during a lightning deal

I finally made a shift in my coffee habits - now buying Pilot Coffee, which is a roaster out of Toronto. I don't know a ton about them yet but IIRC they buy fair trade directly from small farms in Africa and Central/South America, roast on location, and ship to the surrounding area. I purchase from a local coffee shop called Locomotive Espresso.

One of the few people I know who knows more about coffee than I do pointed me to them about a month ago. I tried out a few roasts and liked them a lot. Previously I was buying from a local roaster at our Central market who sources their beans a bit differently, and apparently roasts them darker as well.

Back
Top Bottom