• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Manchin considering an independent run

From the outside looking in, this looks like one of those "perfect is the enemy of good" kind of situations. If Manchin is not going to be the senator from West Virginia then it will most definitely be some vile cunt with a shitload of red baseball caps in his closet. And yes I'm being deliberate in saying Manchin's hypothetical alternative will most certainly be a man.

Can you blame him, given how much hate he got for opposing Biden's irresponsible B3 aka Spendapalooza (that was really redressed Bernie spending plan) that would have poured additional $3,500,000,000,000.00 into an already overstimulated and inflationary economy?

Patooka is also right that you can't expect somebody to the left of him to be elected out of WV.

And yes I'm being deliberate in saying Manchin's hypothetical alternative will most certainly be a man.
Given that it is only men who are running right now (Carol Miller, WV-1 declined) that is a pretty safe prediction.
It's most likely going to be Gov. Jim Justice, as he is leading primary polls on the GOP side.

The last thing we need is a third party run next year. Your feelings about Biden need to be put aside and focus on stopping tRump!

It's most likely going to be Gov. Jim Justice, as he is leading primary polls on the GOP side.
Really?
Last I heard, Trump was kicking 2nd placer DeSantis ass.

I don't really pay much attention. School me.
Tom

Patooka is also right that you can't expect somebody to the left of him to be elected out of WV.
Manchin exploits his position because the Democrats have a narrow majority. He'd have no leverage if they had one or two more seats. Manchin is using this for some sort of leverage. He is delusional if he thinks he can either wrest the Democratic nomination for POTUS or beat Trump.

His constituency is used to someone bringing home the porkbelly projects (Byrd was an exemplar in that regard) and will protect their guns. They don't really care about posturing on budget deficits or other "esoteric" issues.

The last thing we need is a third party run next year. Your feelings about Biden need to be put aside and focus on stopping tRump!
It is true that Biden would be far better than Trump. And a third party run would likely harm Biden more than Trump.

That said, both are very unpopular.
A recent Morning Consult poll found that if Biden (43%) were to run against Trump (42%), 11% said they wanted to vote for someone else, while 5% don't know. RdS is even less popular - only 38% want him, and it's 13%/7% for someone else and I Don't Know (who is on third, naturally).
43/42% is within a margin of error. Besides, Dems sometimes do better on popular vote but still lose the electoral college.

A recent Premise poll is even worse for Biden. He does horribly against Trump, 34-41%, with whopping 25% not sure. Biden again does better against RdS, 32-31%, but 37% are not sure.

Voters are obviously not satisfied with what the major parties are offering. A popular third party candidate might not win, but would probably beat Ross Perot's result. He might even win a state or two and throw it to the House of Representatives.

Really?
Last I heard, Trump was kicking 2nd placer DeSantis ass.
Please pay attention to the conversation, Tom.
I was replying to this post:
From the outside looking in, this looks like one of those "perfect is the enemy of good" kind of situations. If Manchin is not going to be the senator from West Virginia then it will most definitely be some vile cunt with a shitload of red baseball caps in his closet. And yes I'm being deliberate in saying Manchin's hypothetical alternative will most certainly be a man.
[emphasis added]
Neither Don nor Ron are running for that seat.
I don't really pay much attention. School me.
Tom
Done.

Manchin exploits his position because the Democrats have a narrow majority. He'd have no leverage if they had one or two more seats.
Obviously. Any individual Senator has far more power when majority is tight, vs. when it's 60-40 or something.
Manchin is using this for some sort of leverage. He is delusional if he thinks he can either wrest the Democratic nomination for POTUS or beat Trump.
He used it well to stop Spendapalooza. And he managed to push through the Mountain Valley natural gas pipeline. So kudos.
I do not think he will run for president though.
His constituency is used to someone bringing home the porkbelly projects
The term is pork barrel, Biff.
(Byrd was an exemplar in that regard) and will protect their guns. They don't really care about posturing on budget deficits or other "esoteric" issues.
Whether or not they do, it was an important issue for the country. And Manchin and Sinema are saving "Bidenomics" and Biden's presidency overall. Had Spendapalooza passed, we'd have had double digit inflation in 2022, and would have required bigger interest rate hikes to bring to heel.

Can you blame him, given how much hate he got for opposing Biden's irresponsible B3 aka Spendapalooza (that was really redressed Bernie spending plan) that would have poured additional $3,500,000,000,000.00 into an already overstimulated and inflationary economy?

That was the amount over a ten year period. Not all at once.

And much of the inflation was caused by price gouging.

Whether or not they do, it was an important issue for the country. And Manchin and Sinema are saving "Bidenomics" and Biden's presidency overall. Had Spendapalooza passed, we'd have had double digit inflation in 2022, and would have required bigger interest rate hikes to bring to heel.
Nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom