• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Margaret Sanger, the past and the future of Aboriginal Australians

ApostateAbe

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Infotheist. I believe the gods to be mere information.
Anti-abortion activists have a small library of misquotes and hyperbole about the founder of Planned Parenthood: Margaret Sanger. The falsehoods are based in part on correct historical fact. Margaret Sanger was a eugenicist. Anti-abortion activists take this as evidence that Margaret Sanger therefore wanted to use abortion to exterminate the African race in America. As usual, the truth is more nuanced. Eugenics in early 20th century America was an alternative to the more hateful and more extreme racist conservatism, as eugenecists commonly argued that good genes and bad genes are apparently distributed among all races, so it would be better to discriminate WITHIN each race, though some races may have more bad genes than others.

This argument, though generally sound, would seem to break down with the more extreme races, where the distributions are so far away from whites that the most extreme racial prejudice comes off as fully grounded in the data, and this seems to be the case with the native people of Australia. The average IQ of Australian Aboriginals is estimated to be the lowest among all races in the world, at about 60, or 2 and 2/3 standard deviations below the average white IQ and ten IQ points below the standard upper limit of mental retardation. Richard Lynn, combining the results of 17 studies, arrived at a median value of 61 IQ (The Global Bell Curve, 2008). The overlap with whites exists, as it must, but it is exceptionally small. Margaret Sanger broke her usual pattern of racial magnanimity and talked about Australian Aboriginals with exceptional hate.

It is said a fish as large as a man has a brain no larger than the kernel of an almond. In all fish and reptiles where there is no great brain development, there is also no conscious sexual control. The lower down in the scale of human development we go the less sexual control we find. It is said that the aboriginal Australian, the lowest known species of the human family, just a step higher than the chimpanzee in brain development, has so little sexual control that police authority alone prevents him from obtaining sexual satisfaction on the streets. According to one writer, the rapist has just enough brain development to raise him above the animal, but like the animal, when in heat knows no law except nature which impels him to procreate whatever the result. Every normal man and Woman has the power to control and direct his sexual impulse. Men and women who have it in control and constantly use their brain cells in thinking deeply, are never sensual.

She called the people "the lowest known species of the human family, just a step higher than the chimpanzee in brain development, has so little sexual control that police authority alone prevents him from obtaining sexual satisfaction on the streets." Relevantly, this opinion of the people was not controversial at the time. It seemed to follow directly from the agreed facts and evolutionary theory of the time: she goes as far as to classify them as a "species of the human family" rather than "race of the human species," but polygenism (belief that different races became the human species seperately) was a somewhat common scientific belief.

This particular racial hatred of Margaret Sanger can be best understood also in the context of her feminism. There may be doubt about whether or not sexual crime among Aboriginals was truly common in her time as reported, but there is no doubt that it remains especially common today, as seen in this Australian parliament e-brief titled, "Measuring domestic violence and sexual assault against women." The following findings are from the executive summary and more detail can be found in the full report. The values should be considered in the context of an Aboriginal population of about 500,000 in 2004.

Family violence among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, AIHW [Australian Institute of Health and Welfare] 2006, presents information on the extent of violence (in particular family violence) in the Indigenous population, using existing surveys and administrative data collections. Information is presented on the prevalence of violence, associated harm and services for victims of violence, as well as on those in contact with the criminal justice system.

• In 2003-04, 7950 Indigenous females sought refuge from the Supported Accommodation Assistance program (SAAP) to escape family violence.
  • Indigenous females were 13 times more likely to seek SAAP assistance as non-Indigenous females.
  • In 2003-04, there were 4500 hospitalisations of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander persons due to assault in Queensland, Western Australia, South Australia and the Northern Territory combined.
  • Indigenous females were 35 times as likely to be hospitalised due to family violence-related assaults as other Australian females.
  • For Indigenous females, about one in two hospitalisations for assault (50 per cent) were related to family violence compared to one in five for males.
  • Most hospitalisations for family violence-related assault for females were a result of spouse or partner violence (82 per cent) compared to 38 per cent among males.
  • Between 2000 and 2004, there were 150 deaths due to assault among Indigenous Australians in the four jurisdictions.
  • Indigenous females were nearly ten times more likely to die due to assault as non-Indigenous females.

These are staggering and frightening numbers. The "Gordon Report" attempted to motivate action through anecdotal examples, taken to be representative of the horrifying state of the culture, including:

The goodwill and good intentions of individual government agencies is not, and it is suggested will never be, sufficient to respond to the problems that the Inquiry has identified. The level of disadvantage in some Aboriginal communities is such that all children must be considered to be at risk. In one remote Aboriginal community, with approximately 300 residents, an Aboriginal woman talking to the Inquiry said that she occasionally saw little girls aged around five playing without supervision. She told them to 'go home, go home now, you'll be raped'. The idea that in a country like Australia, children in their own small communities can be so endangered is a concept so frightening that the full force of the government's authority must be brought to bear so that Aboriginal children in WA [Western Australia] can be safe in their communities.

As uncomfortable as this thought may be, it is possible that the perspective of Margaret Sanger about the native people of Australia was closer to the mark than the common modern perspective that races do not biologically exist and the various relative ills of the people are attributable entirely to the unfortunate events leading up to it (white colonialism, etc.). Even if there is only a small possibility, it is a sufficiently strong possibility that the science of genetics will conclusively prove that the genes for intelligence, violent behavior and sexual impulse control are unequally distributed among the races, and, when that genetic discovery happens, we had best be prepared, as white supremacists are otherwise likely to lay sole claim to this science. The history of colonial Australia, up until the early 20th century, was a pattern of genocide against the aboriginal people, and this fits the general pattern of the world. The modern period should be considered an aberration, at best, and not likely to last long. Nobody is born racist, but it is much easier for people to learn racism than to learn equality. Learning racism is easier still when the facts are fully behind it, and the native Australians will likely be among the first victims of whites when racism comes to be commonly relearned.

Last edited:
It's good to see you show your true colors. Got some more horrifyingly racist tripe to vomit this way?

Or is this some attempt at a slippery slope argument? "Well, if you admit that Aboriginal Australians are inferior trash, then you've opened the possibility to admit that X, Y and Z are also inferior".

GET. LOST.

It is horrifying, and I do not expect people like us to accept such truths easily. The reason such truths are best accepted by people like us is because there are many other people in the world who will accept such truths easily, and they will not use the information for the best. They will use it for purposes much worse.

This argument, though generally sound, would seem to break down with the more extreme races, where the distributions are so far away from whites that the most extreme racial prejudice comes off as fully grounded in the data, and this seems to be the case with the native people of Australia.

"Would seem to"..." comes off as"... so you don't think the argument actually does break down? You don't believe such prejudice is fully grounded in the data? Do you have an argument that "people like us" could use to prevent people from jumping to the same conclusion as the supremacist darwinists? I'm stumped, myself. All the best arguments against racism that I know are indeed based on egalitarian assumptions.

OTOH, it seems to me that genetic determinism runs into opposition not just from egalitarianism, but from people who value folk notions of individual moral responsibility and free will. If genocidal egoism is one potential answer, is the other one an increase in the medicalization of human behavior, an increase in paternalistic government? The insanity defense is a tough enough sell.

I wonder if it would even be feasible today for a feminist to explain rape from a genetic perspective. Evolutionary psychologists get crucified for that sort of "rape apologism".

This argument, though generally sound, would seem to break down with the more extreme races, where the distributions are so far away from whites that the most extreme racial prejudice comes off as fully grounded in the data, and this seems to be the case with the native people of Australia.

"Would seem to"..." comes off as"... so you don't think the argument actually does break down? You don't believe such prejudice is fully grounded in the data? Do you have an argument that "people like us" could use to prevent people from jumping to the same conclusion as the supremacist darwinists? I'm stumped, myself. All the best arguments against racism that I know are indeed based on egalitarian assumptions.

OTOH, it seems to me that genetic determinism runs into opposition not just from egalitarianism, but from people who value folk notions of individual moral responsibility and free will. If genocidal egoism is one potential answer, is the other one an increase in the medicalization of human behavior, an increase in paternalistic government? The insanity defense is a tough enough sell.

I wonder if it would even be feasible today for a feminist to explain rape from a genetic perspective. Evolutionary psychologists get crucified for that sort of "rape apologism".
I have an alternative to the white supremacist policy of killing or genocide. It may not be the best alternative, but coming up with the very best alternative is the reason why the science needs to be confronted soon, not after it is too late, because the racist politics will take no time at all to think. My alternative is subsidized genetic engineering for equality. When we know the genes for intelligence, pacifism and sexual impulse control, then genetic engineering will be at the doorstep. A few children of lower-intelligence races can be genetically engineered for very high intelligence, etc. They will tend to mate within their own race, and those genes for high intelligence, etc., will trickle into the remainder of the population, effectively equalizing the races.

Let's not narrow our vision. The past, present and future all contribute to my thinking on these matters.

Let's not narrow our vision. The past, present and future all contribute to my thinking on these matters.
There is no evidence anything we actually learned from the past is involved with your opinions on this subject.

There is no evidence anything we actually learned from the past is involved with your opinions on this subject.
OK, feel free to ignore me, then. People with such narrow vision are seldom worth listening to.

OK, feel free to ignore me, then. People with such narrow vision are seldom worth listening to.
My vision is fine. You have the clouded vision with this idea of genetic manipulation to make people better. That somehow if you engineer intelligence in a "few" children, and that you can clean up the gene pool lickity split for a population of tens of millions.

And then it ignores the environmental factors involved with the development of a child's brain.

You have excluded all other issues regarding the development of a person's intelligence and have put all the chips on race. And have concocted a ridiculously implausible sci-fi solution to treat a problem that may not actually exist, when there are definitely other tangible areas that do exist and can be sought for corrections to help infants and toddlers and children today, not in the sci-fi of the following half of the century.

My vision is fine. You have the clouded vision with this idea of genetic manipulation to make people better. That somehow if you engineer intelligence in a "few" children, and that you can clean up the gene pool lickity split for a population of tens of millions.

And then it ignores the environmental factors involved with the development of a child's brain.

You have excluded all other issues regarding the development of a person's intelligence and have put all the chips on race. And have concocted a ridiculously implausible sci-fi solution to treat a problem that may not actually exist, when there are definitely other tangible areas that do exist and can be sought for corrections to help infants and toddlers and children today, not in the sci-fi of the following half of the century.
I am not ignoring the environmental solution--they are important--but in the modern era all political solutions to inequalities allowed on the table have been nothing but environmental-based solutions, i.e. improvement and equalization of education, prohibition of employment discrimination, public housing, public libraries, public parks, and so on. The effects of these solutions have made no noticeable dent in the racial IQ gaps. The cause of the gaps really are mostly genetic, that is what follows from the evidence, that is the scientific consensus, and we need to let that thinking back on the table before the science of human genetics is fully understood. The genetic variables have intimate interactions with the environmental variables, and I would not dream of refusing to consider environment effects and put all the chips either on genetics or race. Are you willing to go to the opposite extreme and take all the chips off of genetics or race? If not, perhaps we can work together and do something truly reasonable.

I am not ignoring the environmental solution...
You only seem to be proposing genetic experimentation on 'lesser races'.
--they are important--but in the modern era all political solutions to inequalities allowed on the table have been nothing but environmental-based solutions, i.e. improvement and equalization of education, prohibition of employment discrimination, public housing, public libraries, public parks, and so on. The effects of these solutions have made no noticeable dent in the racial IQ gaps.
I notice you said "gap" and not IQ. Is that because the alleged IQ's have increased over time?
The cause of the gaps really are mostly genetic...
Once again, concluding in your hypothesis.
The genetic variables have intimate interactions with the environmental variables, and I would not dream of refusing to consider environment effects and put all the chips either on genetics or race.
Odd, because again... all you are talking about are sci-fi level experimentations on lesser races.
Are you willing to go to the opposite extreme and take all the chips off of genetics or race?
Cool, passive aggressive table turn. Oh, I'm not saying environment isn't an issue. It is an issue... though not really an issue at all. Are you willing to completely ignore the genetics side? Look, I'm meeting you half way here.

There is no consensus there is a genetic IQ gap between races. There is a consensus that environment is a contributor to student success.

If not, perhaps we can work together and do something truly reasonable.
Truly reasonable. Yeah, like come up with experiments that can't possibly be performed to help fix other races? I'm looking at the world for how it actually is and how it can actually be dealt with. You are working on creating a solution to a problem that hasn't been demonstrated and coming up with a solution that isn't even plausible in the first place.

Jimmy Higgins, you implicitly answered in the affirmative that you are willing to take all the chips OFF of genetics or race. Let's put some of those chips back on the table, because, even if genetics has nothing to do with the racial IQ differences, it can just as easily be a solution to the racial IQ gaps. Let's say environmental variations are completely responsible for the racial IQ gaps. Or maybe we are only uncertain about it, and that is OK, too. In that case, genetic engineering would still be able to solve the gaps. Regardless of whether or not the racial IQ gaps are genetic, there is wide agreement in psychology, following from very strong direct evidence, that IQ variations within each race are 40% to 80% genetically heritable. Genetic engineering could solve what otherwise could not be solved through variously changing the environmental components.

Jimmy Higgins, you implicitly answered in the affirmative that you are willing to take all the chips OFF of genetics or race. Let's put some of those chips back on the table, because, even if genetics has nothing to do with the racial IQ differences...
Can't wait for it.
...it can just as easily be a solution to the racial IQ gaps.
It was worth it! It may have nothing to do with the differences, but it could be the solution to the gaps. Assuming that this difference/gap exists in the first place!
Let's say environmental variations are completely responsible for the racial IQ gaps. Or maybe we are only uncertain about it, and that is OK, too.
How generous.
In that case, genetic engineering would still be able to solve the gaps.
OK, so if genetics isn't the reason for intelligence gaps, we can somehow use genetics to solve a non-genetic problem? What are you, a mad scientist?
Regardless of whether or not the racial IQ gaps are genetic...
...or real, don't forget to add if they actually exist in the first place
...there is wide agreement in psychology, following from very strong direct evidence, that IQ variations within each race are 40% to 80% genetically heritable.
You can't argue with consensus regarding a range of 40 to 80%!
Genetic engineering could solve what otherwise could not be solved through variously changing the environmental components.
You are aware of the issue involved here, right?

You are now suggesting that if you graciously allow us to think that environment controls, that somehow genetic engineering will solve the problem (a problem which hasn't been shown to be real... except of course your uncited consensus of uncertainty). I'm not exactly certain how genetics fixes an environmental problem, because the environment is what is inhibiting the alleged IQ development in races in the first place. Increasing genetic potential doesn't help because the environment is holding the establishment of IQ to begin with. That'd be like adding 4 GB more memory into a 32-bit computer with 4 GB of memory to begin with.

Jimmy Higgins, see these sources as evidence that there is widespread academic consensus that the race-IQ gaps exist:

See these sources as evidence that there is widespread academic consensus that the IQ gaps within groups are mostly genetically heritable:

Both of these sources conclude uncertainty about whether or not the race-IQ gaps are genetic. The evidence for that point is intermediate (many of the 52 signatures were authors who notoriously defended the genetic explanation of the race-IQ gaps), but, for the two points you are uncertain about, the evidence is overwhelming. Concerning the second point, for identical twins reared apart, the raw adult IQ correlation is 74%, about 50% higher than unrelated children reared in the same household and about 20% higher than non-identical twins reared in the same household. We absolutely know, given that fact alone, that genetics has a lot to do with IQ variations. The main reason 40% is the lower environmentalist extreme (without being a complete nutter like Richard Lewontin or Stephen J. Gould) is the objection that identical twins reared apart may still tend to share similar environments.

So, how can genetics solve a problem that is environmental in origin? If IQ is significantly genetically heritable, it means, after identifying the genes for intelligence, children can be genetically engineered for higher intelligence (and I assert that such a thing will happen at the hands of rich parents). Environmental components may take a child's IQ down--poor schooling, poor diet, little exercise, lead poisoning--but the genetic components would take the IQ up. And, if it can work for individuals, then it can work for groups.

Back
Top Bottom