• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Mark Cuban for President?

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Mark Cuban flirting with 2020 presidential bid in post-coronavirus 'America 2.0' | Fox News
If he ran, Cuban would be the third billionaire candidate to enter the race. Tom Steyer and Michael Bloomberg both spent millions attempting to break out of a crowded Democratic primary, but they only managed a handful of delegates together.

Cuban has recently been vocal about the American landscape in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic. He repeatedly mentioned “America 2.0,” which presents a “unique opportunity” for businesses and individuals alike to reshape the country going forward.

“If you have a vision for America 2.0, now’s the time.”

"This is a complete reset. All those things you were wondering about. I wonder if we tried this, I wonder if we tried that. Now we can try them.”

Mark Cuban lays out 'Infrastructure 2.0' plan to revitalize economy after coronavirus subsides | Fox News
Cuban predicted that the American economy will go through a "reset" once the Chinese-native virus has subsided.

"I don't know when we're going to get from America 1.0 to America 2.0, but we will get there. And what needs to happen is we have to realize that we are the most entrepreneurial country in the world," he said.

"Somebody has a vision out there of what we are going to look like on the other side and when we look back in five years, we are going to realize that there are five or ten or 25 amazing companies that were started that just changed the world and lead us through all of this to a brighter future."

I'll believe it when I see it. Yet another self-indulgent billionaire. The fourth one so far. Or third one if Trump is not really a billionaire.

Mark Cuban: Trump is right on infrastructure, but we can't do this the 'old school' way
Mark Cuban says President Trump is right on the need for infrastructure spending. But the billionaire entrepreneur argues it needs to be "infrastructure 4.0," which would be "looking towards the future rather than trying to recreate the past” as the pace of technology accelerates.

"He's right,” Cuban told Yahoo Finance in an interview on Tuesday. “But, the question is: How do we do it and what do we do? I don't think we can just do it the old school way of just rebuilding roads and bridges. We need to look and say, 'Can we do a complete reset? What do we need to do going forward?’”
He proposed:
  1. Robotics
  2. "... to be mindful of climate change and keep emissions low for the future."
  3. Self-driving cars
"Look, it's great to rebuild roads. Nobody wants to drive through potholes. We want to create those jobs,” he said. “But, at some point in the future, we are going to ask ourselves, 'Why didn't we consider the fact that we are going towards autonomous driving?’ It's just obvious. This isn't predicting a Jetsons-like event. We know that autonomous vehicles will be part of our future. We are already starting to see it."

For the second one, there already exists such a plan: the Green New Deal -- the Congressional resolution and similar plans. With
  • Renewable energy
  • Planting crop plants and trees to soak up CO2
  • Improving building efficiency
  • Increased public-transit and intercity passenger-rail construction

Mark Cuban keeps 'doors open' for potential 2020 run, hasn't reached a decision

On Your Mark (Cuban), Get Set, Go . . . Third Party?

It's hard to tell what his platform is, other than opposition to bad government. Like this from the Yahoo article:
The 61-year-old billionaire has been vocal about the lack of leadership, trust, and transparency coming out of Washington, D.C.

Cuban lashed out at what he called a lack of leadership in politics and a polarized view that pits the parties against each other.

Cuban said if it wasn’t for his family's opposition to a presidential bid, he would "already have done it." However, the fragile state of society in the wake of the pandemic forced his hand, he said.

Mark Cuban on Twitter: "It's time for trickle up economics. ..." / Twitter
It's time for trickle up economics. We need a transitional fed jobs program that trains and hires millions for a federal tracking/tracing/testing program as well as for support for at risk populations including long term care. We need to dent unemployment with stable jobs

In addition, because this will take time, we need to consider an interim spending stimulus program. All 128m households could get a $1k check every 2 weeks for the next 2 months that MUST BE SPENT WITHIN 10 DAYS OF RECEIPT OR IT EXPIRES. This "use it or lose it" prog will

Cost about $500b, but it will allow for demand for non essential products and services to increase, hopefully keeping most businesses alive, as we learn what the impact of re-opening is on the spread and whether or not employment grows organically.

There is certainly a lot of risk in this use it or lose it approach. A lot to be considered. But it could be patterned after @USDirectExpress. Let me know your thoughts
Then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Totally agree, @markcuban.
It’s time for a Federal Jobs Guarantee." / Twitter

"All 128m households could get a $1k check every 2 weeks for the next 2 months that MUST BE SPENT WITHIN 10 DAYS OF RECEIPT OR IT EXPIRES."

Surely he knows that people can spend that $1k without increasing their total spending. Is he trying to imitate SCROTUS with stupid ideas expressed in all caps?

I can see it now, replete with Elon Musk as VP.
Just shoot me.

Back
Top Bottom