• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Mathematics and Nature

alwmjohnson

Basic Beliefs
Naturalist
Mathematics was not my best subject in school, but I now understand it is the universal language in studying Nature. Galileo said, “mathematics is the language in which God has written the universe.”(17th Cent) I amend his quote by saying mathematics is the language to investigate the truths in Nature. The preponderance of evidence indicates we live in a mathematical Universe. Mathematics substantively gives us a path in studying and understanding the reality of our Universe. Mathematics provides a structural reality to study the natural courses that exist in the natural and human worlds. Physicist Eugene Wigner proposed, “the miracle of the appropriateness of the language of mathematics for the formulation of the laws of physics is a wonderful gift which we neither understand or deserve” (1960) I have come to appreciate the existence of mathematical numbers throughout the natural and human worlds. Since the Big Bang the Universe has had its indefeasible mathematical constants governing its laws in an orderly manner. In reality, there are just a handful of inviolable constants supporting Nature’s spatial and temporal properties. In the Theory of Balanceology, I indicate that there are consequences for humans when we contradict the laws of Nature. Our Universe is a vast interconnected web that mathematics helps decipher, decode, and bring order to. It is natural patterns having a mathematical basis that brings this order. Some natural patterns are concerned with the connectivity factors of unity, cyclicity, harmony, and balance. There are factors related to managing the dualisms in Nature. There are significant natural patterns in human nature making it possible to mathematically and statistically study homo sapien characteristics, traits, features, and even our behaviors. Colton said, "the study of mathematics, like the Nile, begins in minuteness but ends in magnificence.” (19th Cent)

Back
Top Bottom