• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Maybe you are not a Darwinist, but a Wallacist

ApostateAbe

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Infotheist. I believe the gods to be mere information.
Self-described progressive thinkers tend to take themselves to be Darwinists. This is not quite right. They accept Darwin's theory of evolution, sure, but with a key exception: they don't accept Darwinism as it relates to human psychology. On this application, they are insistent on involving the theory of evolution as little as possible. So, it is misleading to call them Darwinists, for their progenitor is not so much Darwin, but it is Alfred Russel Wallace, the co-originator alongside Darwin of the theory of evolution by natural selection. Modern progressive thinkers are not true Darwinists but Wallacists.

Though Wallace generally agreed with Darwin about the general explanation of life, Wallace was compelled to split with Darwin on the matter of human psychology, in his 1870 article titled, "The Limits of Natural Selection as Applied to Man." He argued that natural selection could not sufficiently explain the higher mental powers of humans, including forming abstract ideas, carrying on complex trains of reasoning, continual foresight of contingencies, law, government, science, and the game of chess, as all of these mental powers were well beyond what is needed for survival. Most puzzlingly, he even dismissed the explanatory relevance of sexual selection, which was Darwin's preferred explanation for the high mental powers of humans, as expressed in his 1871 book "Descent of Man." Darwin proposed that females tended to sexually select the more intelligent males, for a runaway process much like what produced the peacock's tail. But, no, Wallace instead thought that humanity's higher mental powers are best explained through "some intelligent power," that "a superior intelligence has guided the development of man in a definite direction." Wallace later insisted that he was NOT referring to God. Perhaps he considered outer-space aliens as a possibility, but he left it ambiguous. His main point was that natural selection did NOT serve as a good explanation.

One way or the other, Wallace finds common ground with the modern Wallacists. The Wallacists don't know exactly what accounts for the high psychological powers of people on average, nor what would account for differences in psychological powers either within groups or among groups, things considered easy questions for full Darwinists. The Wallacists can agree only on leaving genetics out of the equation entirely.

Wallacists include the evolutionary biologist Stephen Jay Gould, author of The Mismeasure of Man, which blasted the whole science of intelligence (IQ) for its "biological determinism," "innateness," "inborn biology," "reification" of an adjective, and "racism." Another such successor includes Richard Lewontin, whose biological perspective was so anti-racist that he strongly discouraged even the hypothesis that the selective forces of skin cancer and Vitamin D affected racial skin color variations, as such hypotheses are mere "stories." The slur of "just so stories" has become a favorite slur against evolutionary biology, a slur intended to nip uncomfortable hypotheses in the bud. In 1975, Lewontin and Gould co-signed a denunciation of Wilson's newly-proposed "sociobiology" theory, which they expressed as the "primacy of natural selection in determining most important characteristics of human behavior." Among many other problems, they claimed, such a theory provides a basis "for the eugenics policies which led to the establishment of gas chambers in Nazi Germany."

This Wallacist perspective was mainstream among liberals in their own time and remains mainstream today, not just among liberals but among almost everyone. Among popular discussions of the most hated criminals, such as mass shooters, there are many proposed causes of such criminal behavior: he was abused as a child, he was neglected as a child, he was raised Christian, he was raised non-Christian, he was corrupted by public schools, he played violent video games, he got sucked into an ideology, he took drugs, he loved guns, he hated people, he was just lonely and miserable. At no point have you ever heard that maybe a large part of the influence came from the genes he inherited from his parents nine months before birth. And yet we absolutely know, from heritability studies, that 50% of criminal variants absolutely must be accounted for by genetic variants, a certain fact that has been corroborated through split-twin studies, adoption studies, and family pairings of every sort, time and time again. 50%, yes, but, since Wallacism is mainstream and true Darwinism is taboo, approximately 0% of this point makes it into the public discourse. It is much the same with public discussions of other psychological traits, such as intelligence, addiction, sex drive, and personality types, all established to be highly heritable traits.

So, if you think of yourself as a Darwinist, maybe you are actually a Wallacist.

I don't know anyone who accepts evolution that call themselves Darwinists just as I don't know anyone who accepts Boyle's law who call themselves Boylesists though there may be some. "Darwinists" is what people who don't accept evolution call people who do.

I don't know anyone who accepts evolution that call themselves Darwinists just as I don't know anyone who accepts Boyle's law who call themselves Boylesists though there may be some. "Darwinists" is what people who don't accept evolution call people who do.
Yes, good point. I think "social Darwinism" has tainted the popularity of "Darwinism." And of course I have no trouble at all accepting that title.

I've never met any progressive that thinks human intelligence needs a special explanation beyond say the same explanation for the origin of sight.

Where are these progressives?

Do they have names?

Can somebody sum up the OP in three sentences or less for me?

A few erroneous claims.

Darwin never claimed natural selection was the only mechanism for change, only one mechanism.

Gould was a Darwinist.

Nobody is a Wallacist. At least not how it is defined in cartoon fashion here.

This appears to be some talk about genetic superiority.

maybe a large part of the influence came from the genes he inherited from his parents

As if these genes are copied in the offspring and the offspring is not a random combination of the genes from two people.

And as if the neurons in a forming brain do not undergo massive migration with a random half dying along the way. In other words all brains are individual creations and their creation is beyond just genetic control.

Only Creationists use the term "Darwinist,"

Believers in the ToE believe that psychology/neurology evolved like all other traits -- and what are "high psychological powers," anyway? It seems to me we have an awful lot of dysfunctional psychological traits left over from our days as hunting apes.

Darwin and Wallace knew practically nothing about modern biology. We don't call people who believe in modern medicine Hippocrats or Galenists Why would we call people versed in basic biology Darwinists?

What does liberalism have to do with biology, apart from the fact that liberals are open to new ideasand comfortable with complexity answers to things?

A few erroneous claims.

Darwin never claimed natural selection was the only mechanism for change, only one mechanism.

Gould was a Darwinist.

maybe a large part of the influence came from the genes he inherited from his parents

As if these genes are copied in the offspring and the offspring is not a random combination of the genes from two people.

And as if the neurons in a forming brain do not undergo massive migration with a random half dying along the way. In other words all brains are individual creations and their creation is beyond just genetic control.

"As if these genes are copied in the offspring and the offspring is not a random combination of the genes from two people."

No, actually, that is exactly how reproduction works.

"And as if the neurons in a forming brain do not undergo massive migration with a random half dying along the way. In other words all brains are individual creations and their creation is beyond just genetic control."

You are a Wallacist.

I can do it in one sentence.

In the nature vs. nurture debate, some extreme progressives reject any biological/genetic influences for human intelligence and psychology.

That's it.

Undoubtedly, this is true for some small minority of people who call themselves progressives, but all the progressives I'm familiar with accept that human psychology is influenced by genetics AND environmental factors.

So where is this tiny minority who reject biology entirely, and are they worth talking about?

I can do it in one sentence.

In the nature vs. nurture debate, some extreme progressives reject any biological/genetic influences for human intelligence and psychology.

That's it.

Undoubtedly, this is true for some small minority of people who call themselves progressives, but all the progressives I'm familiar with accept that human psychology is influenced by genetics AND environmental factors.

So where is this tiny minority who reject biology entirely?
It is an obvious point--nobody actually thinks that genes have no relevance on psychology--but our general perspectives are still oriented toward the assumption that genes have no relevance at all. Most often the escape route is: yes, genes are relevant, but genes affect all of us equally. Upon finding out that is not true, then, well, OK, if genes don't affect us all equally, then they still affect all groups equally on average. And none of that is apparently true. We are programmed to believe, as much as practical on the face, that genes have as little relevance as possible, so that Thomas Jefferson's proverb, "all men are created equal," can be taken as literally as possible. This mode of thought has basis in academia, with some fields being far more Wallacist than others.

Here is interesting further reading on the matter if you are interested, each written by researchers targeted by the academic Wallacists:

(Criminology) Is crime genetic? Scientists don’t know because they’re afraid to ask

(Intelligence) Linda Gottfredson "Suppressing Intelligence Research: Hurting Those We Intend to Help," 2005.

(Race) Bruce Lahn and Lanny Ebenstein, "Let's Celebrate Human Genetic Diversity," 2009.

We are programmed to believe, as much as practical on the face, that genes have as little relevance as possible, so that Thomas Jefferson's proverb, "all men are created equal," can be taken as literally as possible. This mode of thought has basis in academia, with some fields being far more Wallacist than others.

Are we programmed to believe this? I don't think so.

We are taught to treat everybody as equals because it is currently impossible to fully/objectively measure either the genetic or environmental factors that contribute to a person's "value."

I even use quotes around "value" because a person's "value" varies highly with environment and context. When we are stranded in a crashed plane in the Alps, we are more happy to see the expert mountain climber who dropped out of school in the 6th grade and less happy to see the morbidly obese CPA... until we get down off the mountain and we need to figure out how to write off a crashed airplane on our taxes.

So, instead of doing the impossible (and measuring the worth of our neighbors) we treat them as equals. It's just practical.

Also, it's unsurprising to see so much discussion and research on the environmental side of this issue because that's the only side we can currently ethically influence. Figuring out which genes lead to high aggression is a dead end unless we plan on adopting eugenic policies or arresting people based on their genes before they commit a crime in some sort of fusion of Gattaca and Minority Report.

Figuring out which baby formula, childhood diseases, or middle school teaching styles lead to high aggression is great because we can actually take action on these fronts with a free conscience.

We are programmed to believe, as much as practical on the face, that genes have as little relevance as possible, so that Thomas Jefferson's proverb, "all men are created equal," can be taken as literally as possible. This mode of thought has basis in academia, with some fields being far more Wallacist than others.

Are we programmed to believe this? I don't think so.

We are taught to treat everybody as equals because it is currently impossible to fully/objectively measure either the genetic or environmental factors that contribute to a person's "value."

I even use quotes around "value" because a person's "value" varies highly with environment and context. When we are stranded in a crashed plane in the Alps, we are more happy to see the expert mountain climber who dropped out of school in the 6th grade and less happy to see the morbidly obese CPA... until we get down off the mountain and we need to figure out how to write off a crashed airplane on our taxes.

So, instead of doing the impossible (and measuring the worth of our neighbors) we treat them as equals. It's just practical.

Also, it's unsurprising to see so much discussion and research on the environmental side of this issue because that's the only side we can currently ethically influence. Figuring out which genes lead to high aggression is a dead end unless we plan on adopting eugenic policies or arresting people based on their genes before they commit a crime in some sort of fusion of Gattaca and Minority Report.

Figuring out which baby formula, childhood diseases, or middle school teaching styles lead to high aggression is great because we can actually take action on these fronts with a free conscience.
Maybe that is the way it used to be: if behavior is determined by genes, it is therefore a component that can not be ethically changed. That is no longer the case, because we are now living in the age of genetic engineering, which can be done perfectly voluntarily and to the benefit of all stakeholders, as soon as the relevant genetic variants are identified (a few genetic variants for intelligence have already been found). The dogma is trying to keep the door closed to this science, however. Bruce Lahn was chased out of the scientific path of identifying genes for intelligence. He works in another genetic field, no longer the genetics of intelligence. It is really not about what is practical, or else the science would be pursued with as much encouragement and gusto as possible. It is about a dogmatic ideology.

Maybe that is the way it used to be: if behavior is determined by genes, it is therefore a component that can not be ethically changed. That is no longer the case, because we are now living in the age of genetic engineering, which can be done perfectly voluntarily and to the benefit of all stakeholders, as soon as the relevant genetic variants are identified (a few genetic variants for intelligence have already been found). The dogma is trying to keep the door closed to this science, however. Bruce Lahn was chased out of the scientific path of identifying genes for intelligence. He works in another genetic field, no longer the genetics of intelligence. It is really not about what is practical, or else the science would be pursued with as much encouragement and gusto as possible. It is about a dogmatic ideology.

Even the genetic engineering you propose as a useful application is fraught with ethical issues. I'm not convinced the issue is ideology so much as ethics.

Now, I'm not arguing that there are NO useful applications for human genetic research relating to psychology and intelligence. You and I know that there are there are plenty. I'm only suggesting an alternate reason for why there is so much more scientific research (and popular discussion) on environmental factors.

I'm just skeptical of your claims of closed minded liberals blocking research paths for no good reason. It just sounds like conservative propoganda. I imagine a racist conservative (not you) saying "The damn liberals won't let us prove that (insert minority group here) are genetically criminal and stupid."
When the truth may just as easily be: "It doesn't matter if any group of people are genetically more criminal and stupid, it is unethical to change the way we treat any given individual based on their membership to that group. So it's kind of a waste of time and money to figure it out."

Even the genetic engineering you propose as a useful application is fraught with ethical issues. I'm not convinced the issue is ideology so much as ethics.

Now, I'm not arguing that there are NO useful applications for human genetic research relating to psychology and intelligence. You and I know that there are there are plenty. I'm only suggesting an alternate reason for why there is so much more scientific research (and popular discussion) on environmental factors.

I'm just skeptical of your claims of closed minded liberals blocking research paths for no good reason. It just sounds like conservative propoganda. I imagine a racist conservative (not you) saying "The damn liberals won't let us prove that (insert minority group here) are genetically criminal and stupid."
When the truth may just as easily be: "It doesn't matter if any group of people are genetically more criminal and stupid, it is unethical to change the way we treat any given individual based on their membership to that group. So it's kind of a waste of time and money to figure it out."
OK, I am going to make a new thread about the ethical issues of human genetic engineering.

A few erroneous claims.

Gould was a Darwinist.

"As if these genes are copied in the offspring and the offspring is not a random combination of the genes from two people."

No, actually, that is exactly how reproduction works.

"And as if the neurons in a forming brain do not undergo massive migration with a random half dying along the way. In other words all brains are individual creations and their creation is beyond just genetic control."

You are a Wallacist.

The importance of what I said elludes you.

You only seem to be able to badly and irrationally give things labels.

If neurons migrate and half die this is not purely genetic control. It is also random chance.

The idea that intelligence exists as purely a genetic trait is just bad science.

It isn't Darwinism or any other ism.

Back
Top Bottom