• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

McConnell admits "mistake" on Obama Pandemic Plan Claim

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Well in the world today you have four types of the truth. Your's, mine, the truth, and whatever the fuck comes out of the mouths of Republicans. Sadly, that last one seems to have the greatest amount of weight these. You can make up bullshit, recant it, but it still is out there in the minds of enough people.

So this happened with McConnell who shamelessly and falsely accused the Obama Administration of not providing the Trump Administration with any document of planning for dealing with a Pandemic. Now, of course, this is kind of passing the buck in its own right, but it becomes even worse when the reality is that the Obama Administration left a comprehensive plan for the following administration. The only real criticism that could be made of the document is that because it was written with the assumption an adult would have been President, there aren't many pretty pictures and pie charts.

McConnell recants, but passive aggressively, of course.
Sen. McConnell said:
I was wrong. They did leave behind a plan, so I clearly made a mistake in that regard.
Yes, of course, "in that regard". Everything about the statement was exclusively about that regard. There were no other regards to be raised in the original bullshit statement.

But let's not stop here, let's call this out for the "lie" that it is. Politico reported the existence of this report in late March, nearly two months ago. So even if McConnell didn't know of its existence until that report, likely doubtful, there is no reason why he wouldn't have known it when he made that statement. It was typical GOP bullshit. The funny part is that he was probably surprised that he needed to actually recant, as Trump has gotten away with about every lie he has ever stated.

He's not Trump, so he can't get away with the same shit Trump gets away with and he knows it. That doesn't keep him gleefully accepting the benefits of riding Trump's coattails though.

I wish any of this mattered to ~45% of the electorate. :/

Even on the occasion they do hear of it.

Trump won with ~48% of the vote, which was (iirc) around 28% of the electorate.
If he loses even 1% of that 28% he's doomed to lose the election. (Whether he can be removed for losing an election remains to be seen).
In fact he will very likely lose the election even if he gains a few percent of the total electorate, because Hillary haters and people who have been burned by Trump are not going to stay home this time.

Again, it's not the election we have to worry about so much as removing the Trump Crime Family from power after they lose the election.

I wish any of this mattered to ~45% of the electorate. :/

Even on the occasion they do hear of it.

Trump won with ~48% of the vote, which was (iirc) around 28% of the electorate.
If he loses even 1% of that 28% he's doomed to lose the election. (Whether he can be removed for losing an election remains to be seen).
In fact he will very likely lose the election even if he gains a few percent of the total electorate, because Hillary haters and people who have been burned by Trump are not going to stay home this time.

Again, it's not the election we have to worry about so much as removing the Trump Crime Family from power after they lose the election.
With a potential reblooming of the virus and the GOP clearly intent on stopping mail in ballot voting expansions, I'd say the election itself is at serious risk of not happening or being seriously fucked with. These types of bullshit maneuvers already worked in stopping the 2000 recount and the vote on Merrick Garland.

I'd say the election itself is at serious risk of not happening or being seriously fucked with.

The latter is more likely IMHO. They don't want to go down the road that leads to Trump's term expiring without an election having taken place. Trump believes (apparently) that he can bring the economy roaring back in the 4th quarter so maybe they'll try to delay it, but that just gives them more time to fuck with it.

These types of bullshit maneuvers already worked in stopping the 2000 recount and the vote on Merrick Garland.

Yup. Really depressing. This the the last gasp for democracy.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixg...rump-faltering-in-key-swing-states-heres-why/
Some portions of this coalition—white evangelical Protestants and white men with less than a college education—are rock-solid. But there is evidence that other groups are beginning to waver. For example, President Trump defeated Hillary Clinton among voters 65 and older by 7 points, 52-45 percent, in 2016. In the latest NBC/WSJ poll, by contrast, Biden led Trump by 9 points, 52-43. Because seniors vote at a higher rate than any other age cohort, the shift in this group alone could be enough to sink the president’s prospects in closely contested states.

Trump is losing the older voter segment now badly it would seem. He has already lost the educated women voters. And younger voters by large margins. The latest covid-19 FUs will probably guarantee a large and angry turnout vote. The stink of failure is in the air. Trumpo the clown is doomed. Truimpo is losing the swings attes he won in 2016 and more besides. He is now trailing in Florida, and Arizona.

Back
Top Bottom