• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

McConnell to states: drop dead

And of course there's Illinois.

The 1%: Illinois’ pension millionaires

More than 129,000 Illinois public retirees will collect estimated payouts of more than $1 million each over the course of their retirements, according to new analysis from the Illinois Policy Institute.

At the same time, it’s crucial that Illinoisans understand these retirement benefits and call for reform. They have resulted in cuts to core services and constant calls for tax hikes across the state for more than two decades. They’re also pushing the pension funds toward insolvency.

Public service isn't about public service. It's about me and mine. Hey, feds, they deserve a bailout!
Calling people who receive $1 million dollars over their retirement (an extended period of time) "millionaires" is intellectually dishonest. How exactly did these people earn those benefits? But hey, why engage in intellectually honest discussion about the problems of the state of Illinois pension fund when one can quote a conservative "think tank" to engage in class warfare?
More rightwing horseshit.

It's about busting the retirement savings of the public sector unions.

The State of Oregon shells out $$$ of public money for lavish retirements. Why should such waste and mismanagement get a bailout?

EWUwFDjXkAE6bBa

https://gov.oregonlive.com/pers/

The tier one plan was phased out in 1996.

Oregon Public Employees Retirement System

You seem a little jealous.

Obviously these people were very well paid to begin with. These are not the state employees out filling potholes in the highway. These are going to be upper management people. Almost certainly not union members.

Public service isn't about public service. It's about me and mine. Hey, feds, they deserve a bailout!
Calling people who receive $1 million dollars over their retirement (an extended period of time) "millionaires" is intellectually dishonest. How exactly did these people earn those benefits? But hey, why engage in intellectually honest discussion about the problems of the state of Illinois pension fund when one can quote a conservative "think tank" to engage in class warfare?
More rightwing horseshit.
I'm a millionaire now!!! I've made over $1 million over twenty years. That's how it works in the right-wing mind.

What a crock of bullshit!

Holy shit, I guess that makes me a "career millionaire!"

I will most certainly get over two million dollars in wages over the course of my career. Does that make ME a millionaire?

No. That's just fucking stupid. These folks are no more have millions than I am.

So, assuming that a retiree lives for 20 years after retirement, that would be a grand total of what? $50K/year? That's not nothing but it sure ain't rich. Especially after the Republicans gut Social Security.

You know, I really don't get why people are so up in arms about someone working their whole lives for a company, socking away money into a retirement plan (because a pension plan does that FOR you--it's deferred compensation, a promise, as you will, of payment to make up for lower wages now) and then: enjoying their money. Social Security was never intended to be a full support after retirement--but it was there to provide a safety net.

I mean, don't younger people WANT older people to retire? Free up all of those good jobs so they can quit their barista jobs (if those still exist post pandemic)? Seriously: young folk ought to applaud sufficient retirement savings and social security and pensions that tempt the boomers to hang it up and let the kids take over and run the show.

Public sector pensioners often receive reduced or zero SS benefits. Important to remember.

It's about busting the retirement savings of the public sector unions.

The State of Oregon shells out $$$ of public money for lavish retirements. Why should such waste and mismanagement get a bailout?

While I agree there is a problem with public sector unions this is a major-league case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Back
Top Bottom