• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Menendez Brothers Case Being Reevaluated?

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
link

If you had a pulse in the 1990s, you know about the Menendez Brothers. They killed their fabulously wealthy parents, said it was self-defense due to lots of abuse. However, and nearly seven years later (after a couple trials), they were convicted. The second trial didn't have the abuse angle included.

Now the case is bobbing back up. An accusation of rape of another teen came up against their father. The evidence seems shaky at best. There have been a couple documentaries on them recently, however, I refuse to watch exploitation shows on murder.
article said:
Although Gascón believes that Lyle and Erik Menendez were appropriately sentenced during their trial more than three decades ago, they deserve a chance to be re-evaluated, he told CNN’s Stephanie Elam Thursday. Gascón said that he believes the brothers had been sexually abused prior to the killings, and they have served enough time behind bars.
I can't parse this. There was allegedly new evidence coming out that would help a little bit to build a narrative on the father, though doubtful it'd help demonstrate their own abuse. But Gascon is on about the conviction was right, but they've served enough time now. Is that legal posturing to prevent a wrongful detention lawsuit? If one was looking at resentencing reform, probably less electric cases than this.

I really know nothing about the case other than it was a case, I was a young teen then. A particular narrative that they murdered their parents for money was well sold.

I've got mixed feelings about it. The new evidence does indicate pretty strongly that they were being sexually abused by their dad, but on the other hand I do remember that the boys went on a spending spree after the killings which suggests that they were in it for the money. I don't think I would be too bothered if Gascon set them free. They have served a lot of time, matured and were model prisoners, and I doubt they would kill again. I am more bothered by others Gascon has released that should have stayed locked up.

When I first heard this case being brought up, it reminded of another active thread on this forum (the DV and Stand Your Ground thread) where it was proposed that women who have been abused should have the right to kill their abusers when not in immediate, impending danger. Under that same philosophy, it would seem the brothers would get a pass on killing their parents. Is that a good thing? I don't know.

I remember hearing about this and was abhorred at the time. I was a young kid and loved my parents and couldn't understand why anyone would do that. But if these new claims hold up maybe it should be factored into consideration.

The new evidence does indicate pretty strongly that they were being sexually abused by their dad,
Strongly? I disagree, it’s dubious at best.

but on the other hand I do remember that the boys went on a spending spree after the killings which suggests that they were in it for the money. I don't think I would be too bothered if Gascon set them free. They have served a lot of time, matured and were model prisoners, and I doubt they would kill again. I am more bothered by others Gascon has released that should have stayed locked up.

Putting aside the questionable abuse claims, these young men committed a premeditated, cold and calculated execution of their parents. A horrific crime where they took the time to go back out to their car to reload their shotguns and return to finish of their mother.

I agree that the brothers have served a lot of time and should be considered for parole but let’s not forget what they did.

And fuck Gascon, he is on his way out anyway.

I've got mixed feelings about it. The new evidence does indicate pretty strongly that they were being sexually abused by their dad, but on the other hand I do remember that the boys went on a spending spree after the killings which suggests that they were in it for the money. I don't think I would be too bothered if Gascon set them free. They have served a lot of time, matured and were model prisoners, and I doubt they would kill again. I am more bothered by others Gascon has released that should have stayed locked up.

When I first heard this case being brought up, it reminded of another active thread on this forum (the DV and Stand Your Ground thread) where it was proposed that women who have been abused should have the right to kill their abusers when not in immediate, impending danger. Under that same philosophy, it would seem the brothers would get a pass on killing their parents. Is that a good thing? I don't know.
The question on the brothers was whether the accusations were reliable, not whether serially abused people wouldn't be allowed to use that as a defense. I'm unclear on this case, and I'm uncertain the specifics as to why their accusations, which if memory serves, were taken at face value up front... then withered away along the 7 year span that saw two trials and their conviction.

The new evidence does indicate pretty strongly that they were being sexually abused by their dad,
Strongly? I disagree, it’s dubious at best.

but on the other hand I do remember that the boys went on a spending spree after the killings which suggests that they were in it for the money. I don't think I would be too bothered if Gascon set them free. They have served a lot of time, matured and were model prisoners, and I doubt they would kill again. I am more bothered by others Gascon has released that should have stayed locked up.

Putting aside the questionable abuse claims, these young men committed a premeditated, cold and calculated execution of their parents. A horrific crime where they took the time to go back out to their car to reload their shotguns and return to finish of their mother.

I agree that the brothers have served a lot of time and should be considered for parole but let’s not forget what they did.

And fuck Gascon, he is on his way out anyway.
IIRC, what I saw was a letter, previously undisclosed and unknown, from one of the brothers to his cousin in a faraway state telling him that his dad was abusing him. The letter was dated months before the murders. Its possible he was making it all up. But there have been other corroborating accounts about his dad, e.g. that kid from Menudo. I'm not saying that justifies the murder, but it is evidence that would have helped back up his claim during the trial, and maybe have gotten him a lighter sentence.

If you had a pulse in the 1990s, you know about the Menendez Brothers.
I must have been busy having a life that day.

Or maybe they were only world famous in America.

Either way, I had not heard of them, or had completely forgotten about them and their case.

My cardiologist assures me that in his professional opinion, I did have a pulse for the whole of the 1990s (albeit intermittently, as is the nature of such things).

If you had a pulse in the 1990s, you know about the Menendez Brothers.
I must have been busy having a life that day.

Or maybe they were only world famous in America.
You're not alone.

I was working full time on the night shift and partying my ass off on the nights I wasn't working.

This case is becoming the Sam Shepard case for the 2020s...never over. I won't tune in unless Leslie Abramson is back on defense, because I want to know:
> does she still do the mad curls, now that she's 81? Shake that head, mama!
> does she still use the phrase 'ratcheting up' three times every minute?
> will she still call the brothers 'the boys', now that they're AARP age?
> will she call (former Dr.) Oziel to the stand, so she can rip him yet another one?

Back
Top Bottom