• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Metaphysics - Where is it?

So what are we to make of AI such as ChatGPT? Is it a conscious entity? Does AI have qualia, can it?

How much information can we get from from purely deductive logic? Isn't inductive logic a la science what overcame the failures of purely deductive and took our species out of the Middle Ages, whereas metaphysics was stalled on endless theological debates far removed from the reality of bacteria and electrons?

I am not sure, but it is as conscious as a human and its qualia is governed by what is written in its code.
I suppose both are necessary, physics as well as metaphysics.
:)

I am not sure, but it is as conscious as a human and its qualia is governed by what is written in its code.
Are we, by a similar token, governed by what codes and responses are built into our cells and organs?

Does metaphysics begin where our knowledge of the physical world ends?

Round and round the metaphysical merry-go-round we go. Are we having fun yet?

Science is metaphysics tied to unambiguous physical reference points the meter, kilogram, and second.

The problem with metaphysical abstractions is there are no reference points. The debate becmes about meaning. It becomes a dog chasing its tail.

A syllogism is an abstraction that when applied is referenced to real conditions.

Words are abstractions. They bave value when related to real objects and conditions.

In the end it is in the brain.

I stated the tread to see where it might go.

Are we, by a similar token, governed by what codes and responses are built into our cells and organs?

Does metaphysics begin where our knowledge of the physical world ends?
Yes, we have our code and the code can be modified by changing various files, like the Grub file.
True. IMHO, meta-physics begins where physics ends.

1. Look up definition of symmetric set.

In mathematics, a nonempty subset S of a group G is said to be symmetric if it contains the inverses of all of its elements.

2. Apply definition

Basic simple text book math. Not exactly PD level math.

Hear is a well known puzzle from literature.

“What do I have in my pocket?”. Bilbo to Gollum.

I posted a real mind bending puzzle on the logic puzzles thread on Logic And Epistemology. Be there or be square.

Substitute the physical brain for mind.

Mind is an abstraction. Metaphysics ends up being like a dog chasing its tail.

You are selling metaphysics short. Your whole position is called metaphysical naturalism — which itself is a philosophical idea, not provable from within the idea itself. It is an assumption, a starting axiom, that may or may not be true.

The standard rival assumption is metaphysical supernaturalism. But there is a third metaphysical assumption, metaphysical idealism. This is what Trebaxian Vir is talking about.

The idea here is that the world consists entirely of mental states. Rather than the mind supervening on the brain, as MN assumes, MI would have it that the brain supervenes on the mind.

There are a number of good reasons for thinking that MI might be true. Vir listed some of them. But like MN, MI cannot be proved by, or from within, its original assumption. The point, however, is that your own world view is entirely philosophical, and so you are practicing the very metaphysics that you dismiss as meaningless.
I understand the usage in modern parlance, however it is a misnomer of sorts and I think that throws a lot of people in a way they never come to really understand.

In some ways it is metaphysical final naturalism.

A presentation of the same concepts looked at in a different topic: how do you ascertain whether you are running on bare metal or whether you have a hypervisor?

It is not even possible on every architecture to determine.

Metaphysical naturalism wagers that there is no "hypervisor" around our reality which we may interact with, and whose function is based on some fundamental mechanic.

It is an assertion about, and around physics. "Meta" is "that which is about and around (thing)". Metaphysics is "that which is about and around physics".

Math is a form of metaphysics, metaphysical framework in fact.

Ethical Philosophy is a form of metaphysics, applying metaphysical frameworks to immediate problems and situations to calculate best actions, checking outcomes, and adjusting the framework to one which produces better results.

Physics requires metaphysical frameworks to even approach, as you can't describe any system with an element of any kind of mechanism without a framework to discuss applicable concepts free of an immediate material context.

The concept of locality does not apply to metaphysics. It can be observed anywhere at any point in time accurately, given a system which can encode metaphysical frameworks at all exists in that place, and the circumstances that illustrate conjunction, disjunction, inversion, and observability. Arguably this is true even in different physical systems.

One problem with MI is that if someone injures their head, their mind may cease to function or become impaired. OTOH, that observation in itself is something which you would observe with your own uninjured mind.

An additional problem is that religion seems to have hijacked metaphysics.

Back
Top Bottom