• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Mind/body/dualism, etc.

WAB

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
n/a
In my many discussions of the mind/body problem, extending to off and online activity over the past 20 years, I have (kinda) resolved only recently that there is no mind/body problem. The duality, mind and body, only exists insofar as we have an objective existence as a physical body which can be observed and analyzed by others, and a subjective existence which is internal and private, and cannot be literally shared with another person. We can share our subjective experiences by way of communication: conversation, philosophy, and poetry, for example, but we cannot literally allow someone else to experience what we experience inside ourselves.

This duality is sometimes embraced wholesale, as it was by Descartes (I think?) and by people who believe in a soul as distinct from but operating in conjunction with a body. For some this soul is God-given, or in some manner transcendent, and does not arise by any biological process that can be remotely identified or understood; and yet to others the soul, or spirit, refers simply to consciousness and its abstract, intangible content, its workings and motivations.

I have come to consider that a good way to approach the mind/body problem is to understand that a whole person, a sentient, intelligent human being, is the consummation of its objective and subjective components, its quantitative and qualitative "parts". ie: 'the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.'

It is not the mind and body operating in some distinct and/or independent fashion; it is both, operating together to form a unified entity or being. In this sense it can be thought of as a trinity, or triunity. See obscure C19 philosopher James Haig, if you can find him, but it's probably better to think of it as a single unified whole, or "substance", as, perhaps, the way Spinoza meant it (I could be wrong. I'm wrong a LOT).

This triunity, or union of three, just to entertain the notion, not commit to it, can be observed in so many different things, not just organisms. Take a chair. A chair is at first an object made up of parts in an organized fashion. It has quantitative parts: wood, nails, varnish, leather (and these extend to statistical properties which are not material but nonetheless objective and not subject to opinion: size, weight, height, breadth); and it has qualitative parts or properties: it is pleasing to observe, as a piece of art or design; it has a function, a utility; it has a name, a purpose.

The chair is neither its physical, or concrete parts alone, nor its abstract parts (which could not exist without the ordered design of its material parts, except as concepts in the mind [there's that god-awful word again] about a thing called a chair, which would require by necessity having seen a chair or having invented the idea of a chair), but is all of these material and non-material components and properties taken together to form a whole.

If we extend this way of looking at things (and I admit that is all this is, a way at looking at things) to something like the Christian concept of the Trinity, it can be more than a little illuminating.

Or a pain the collective tushy.

Just throwing this out, since I've got a few days before they throw the net over me.

The question is?

What is a body?

What does it reduce to?

I don't think there is a problem because we really don't know what a mind or a body are.

The problem began when people thought bodies could only be influenced by touching them.

Then came Newton with gravity and then electricity and magnetism and the notion of acting on a body was transformed.

As far as the Christian belief in a trinity.

It is a direct violation of one of the ten commandments.

This duality is sometimes embraced wholesale, as it was by Descartes (I think?) and by people who believe in a soul as distinct from but operating in conjunction with a body.

Not quite, in my opinion. :p

As I see it, Descartes offered initially a rational perspective, essentially the Cogito, and then proceeded with a more pragmatic approach to the issue of reality, essentially doing some science and some metaphysics.

The Cogito essentially says "I only know myself as a mind and this is the only thing I know. So, I can only at best believe I have a body". Not quite wholesale Dualism.

Most people wrongly assume the Cogito to be the essence of Dualism. And they can quote other writings of Descartes as confirming their view. I don't take this angle myself. Once you get to the Cogito, there's nothing more you can do as to knowledge. It says "I am this only thing I know". Beyond this, you can only do things like religion, science, etc. You do it or you don't but whatever you do it will be beyond the Cogito, i.e. things you can only believe, not know. I doubt you could find a quote from Descartes arguing that he knows he has a body distinct from his mind. He certainly made suggestions and offered theories about things. Yeah, we all do. As long as you understand that all this is really nothing you actually know, you should be safe.

So, not wholesale at all. It was rather a pragmatic embrace.

So, you should perhaps reconsider your position. The Cogito seems to me the only rational option.

And I fail to see what would be wrong with it and I don't think anyone could possibly fault it.

And it's consistent not only with everything I know but with everything I believe.

Maybe the only drawback is that you have to have the humility to accept you know nothing about the world outside your mind and that you're not going to think anything that could top the Cogito. :(
EB

The question is?

What is a body?

What does it reduce to?

I don't think there is a problem because we really don't know what a mind or a body are.

The problem began when people thought bodies could only be influenced by touching them.

Then came Newton with gravity and then electricity and magnetism and the notion of acting on a body was transformed.

As far as the Christian belief in a trinity.

It is a direct violation of one of the ten commandments.

I hear ya, untermensche. I have always wondered how the church fathers came up with the Trinity idea, since it doesn't seem to be scriptural. What with Christ kneeling in Gethsamane and praying to Abba, the Father, to please have the cup passed to someone else. Why in blazes would God need to pray to God to ask God to relieve Himself of a task God had placed upon Himself?

That's why I couched all this in a bunch of wishy-washy terms like "I think", or "could be", etc.

That being said, I find that whole "The whole is greater than its parts" notion very compelling, and I did even when I was an atheist. I don't expect anyone to remember, but when I signed on here I was a quite militant little atheist. My first thread was called "Trifling with God", in which I went horn-to-horn with a Catholic called Charlie or Charles something. I believe the thread should still be in the archives.

Thanks for your response.

I believe the thread should still be in the archives.

Any decent forum website should make sure your first post there is directly accessible from your profile page. That might concentrate the minds a bit. :p
EB

This duality is sometimes embraced wholesale, as it was by Descartes and by people who believe in a soul as distinct from but operating in conjunction with a body.

Not quite, in my opinion. :p

As I see it, Descartes offered initially a rational perspective, essentially the Cogito, and then proceeded with a more pragmatic approach to the issue of reality, essentially doing some science and some metaphysics.

The Cogito essentially says "I only know myself as a mind and this is the only thing I know. So, I can only at best believe I have a body". Not quite wholesale Dualism.

Most people wrongly assume the Cogito to be the essence of Dualism. And they can quote other writings of Descartes as confirming their view. I don't take this angle myself. Once you get to the Cogito, there's nothing more you can do as to knowledge. It says "I am this only thing I know". Beyond this, you can only do things like religion, science, etc. You do it or you don't but whatever you do it will be beyond the Cogito, i.e. things you can only believe, not know. I doubt you could find a quote from Descartes arguing that he knows he has a body distinct from his mind. He certainly made suggestions and offered theories about things. Yeah, we all do. As long as you understand that all this is really nothing you actually know, you should be safe.

So, not wholesale at all. It was rather a pragmatic embrace.

So, you should perhaps reconsider your position. The Cogito seems to me the only rational option.

And I fail to see what would be wrong with it and I don't think anyone could possibly fault it.

And it's consistent not only with everything I know but with everything I believe.

Maybe the only drawback is that you have to have the humility to accept you know nothing about the world outside your mind and that you're not going to think anything that could top the Cogito. :(
EB

Indeed, Speakie. That's why I said "(I think?)"; and please strike from your mind the word "wholesale", I shouldn't have used that word. I have never really read Descartes in-depth, and even what I did read was many years ago.

Sorry about your drawback! But, you have to remember, I'm in a sticky situation. Have you ever seen the film "A Beautiful Mind'? Well, not comparing myself to a great mathematical genius, but my brain disorder, which I am convinced is a genuine thing, did result, at long last, in a kind of Damascene conversion, in 2011.

My 'conversion' is on record here, right here on TFT. I started a whackadoodle thread that somehow managed not to get swept away into Elsewhere, and luckily only received four slamming responses, the title of which now escapes me. But I had a theory based on my psychotic break experiences, mixed with subsequent religious euphoria, further mixed-up with vague ideas about quantum theory, of which I knew nothing then, and precious little now. Over the years, I've struggled hard not to let myself get too carried away, though I did make a pact with God and Christ, in my eccentric way, ie that I would not ever abandon them.

Even if they are imaginary figments (this is difficult if not impossible for a person who has not experienced mental breakdowns or brain-induced religious euphoria to conceive of, hence my defense of the more faithful members here, like Learner and Lion). I love them (my notion, my conception of God and Christ), in the same way I love the little stuffed mouse my great grand aunt gave me when I was twelve, and which I still have today. She was a German nun who had come for a single, once in a lifetime visit to the States. His name is Feip. I shall not part with him. I know he's just a piece of fabric, but I love him! He will be cremated with me. So sue me! ;)

So, bear with me: this is the best way I could frame my thoughts. I actually posted this to my blog a few years ago, after deciding not to post here, but I still kind of hang with it.

By the by, have you heard of James Haig? There are precious few instances of his books being available to see or download online. I believe I got mine from the Internet Archive. I found his ideas fascinating, especially his thoughts on what he called Triunity.

Last edited:
I believe the thread should still be in the archives.

Any decent forum website should make sure your first post there is directly accessible from your profile page. That might concentrate the minds a bit. :p
EB

The only other website I have been a senior member at, Eratosphere, which is thought of as being the best poetry workshop currently extant (along with PFFA, where I also spent many years), prunes their archives every so often.

As it happens, I managed to get my sorry little ass banned from both places. I couldn't care less about PFFA, as they are moderated by a bunch of ego-maniacs, and very few well known poets go there; but the Sphere has attracted many very widely published poets, even Richard Wilbur, arguably perhaps the greatest formalist American poet born in C20, who made a few posts by proxy, through Tim Murphy.

I don't give a fig for fame or fortune, and still less for formal, paper publication, especially in the age of digital publishing. I have been very vocal about my thoughts about paper books: I think it's now a great waste of time, space, and material. It serves only the egos of people like poets and other wanna-be's. WTF are future generations going to do with all these books! Any nimrod can publish nowadays. It is almost literally a waste of time.

I have received high marks from some fairly big names in American and British poetry, such as Rhina Espaillat, Tim Murphy, David Anthony, Rob MacKenzie (a friend of mine, via the web) Aaron Poochigian, Jennifer Reeser (also a friend, via Facebook), and the deceased Alan Sullivan. He and Murphy have a joint translation of Beowulf out that has received a lot of attention. Murphy's books have forwards by Anthony Hecht and Richard Wilbur. Tim invited me to come and see him in at his home, after I told him I was going to pull a Robert Lowell and pitch a tent on his lawn, as Lowell did when Allen Tate (actually Tate's wife) told him he had no room for him in his already crowded house.

I said "I don't know how to pitch a tent, though."; and Tim graciously responded: "I'll pitch that tent, Will." But alas, I am isolated and terribly shy, to a fault. I've never been to a poetry reading, and have never read my work anywhere, so I foolishly never took him up on the offer.

But enough about me (lol!).

I'm far more interested in the simple joy of working, and in the realm of ideas.

Last edited:
I think the trinity relates in a different way.

First there's the transcendence that you speak of ie a non-verbal altered state, ecstatic, often conceived of as religious. That is the father.

Then there's intelligibility, the qualities and properties of the father can we name and communicate. That is the son.

Then there are these things, or the potential to participate in them, in everyone, and that is the spirit.

So, transcendence, intelligibility and universality are the meaning of the trinity. IMO.

I think the trinity relates in a different way.

First there's the transcendence that you speak of ie a non-verbal altered state, ecstatic, often conceived of as religious. That is the father.

Then there's intelligibility, the qualities and properties of the father can we name and communicate. That is the son.

Then there are these things, or the potential to participate in them, in everyone, and that is the spirit.

So, transcendence, intelligibility and universality are the meaning of the trinity. IMO.

That sounds reasonable to me, Horatio.

I didn't mean to simply poo-pooh the Trinity. Far greater minds than my own have discussed the idea and found it acceptable, after all. I wrestled with the idea, and still do, but came up short, for reasons I mentioned: it is not purely scriptural, and Jesus is said to have knelt in the Garden and prayed, and wept, to the Father— which leaves me scratching my head in bafflement. Not in derision, since even as an atheist I never felt comfortable with outright mockery or blasphemy, though I did mock and blaspheme, by mouth and written word, even while inside I felt slightly itchy about it.

One would hate to be ungrateful for life , especially my life. I was born at the top of the food chain, a caucasian, in a good time-pocket, 1964, meaning I was too young for Viet Nam, and subsequently too old for the Gulf War, etc. I was born at West Point, which is armed to the teeth, caught by a Major in the US Army. Quite a bundle of advantages for this tiny bundle of joy for my father, a civil servant, and my mother. My elder brother was caught by a Captain, so even though I'm a year younger, I've always said I outranked him.

I have enjoyed comparing myself to Jose Canseco, who was born on the exact same day as I was, July 2, 1964, in Havana, to a mercantile (not poor; but not rich either) family, that emigrated while he was young to the US. He grew up to be a great, wealthy athlete; I grew up lower middle class (though I detest classism), and had every advantage, which I pissed away, thinking I was going to have a career either in music or letters. So much for environmental determinism. I mean, I can hang with it mostly, but there are measures of liberty, ways of breaking cycles and breaking through customs and traditions. We in Merca don't hang with ideas of class, or any of that European/old World nonsense.

ETA: ...wait. Of course many Americans believe in class, which is, IMO, totally contrary* to the founding American principles. This loss of our natal spirit has led to an absurd divide between the ridiculously wealthy and the very poor, which is why we're eventually going down... Rome, anyone?

*...well, contrary ostensibly, to the shiny ideal of liberty & justice for all (yeah, right); while many wealthy Americans we're slave-owners and ruthless bastards.

I wish I could link to something by James Haig, who developed a very compelling philosophy built around the idea of trinities, or associations of threes. He even called it a Triunity (unless I am confusing him with someone else); but for him it was strongly attached to semantics and language. The power of words, of communication, without which there would be no progress.

Thanks for your response.

Can anyone tell me how to access the archives? I have looked all over and don't see the tab.

I want to provide a quote or two from my first thread, to avoid the "Oh, come now, you were never really an atheist" crapolla. Oh yes, I was, and a snotty one to boot. I can still be snotty, but not like I was 14 years ago.

Last edited:
I didnt consider it a pooh pooh.

The point and value of these ideas is in their ability to stimulate thought. Which naturally results in many different views.

If you are invoking the Trinity and are Christian perhaps it should be on religion.

The Trinity was developed as compromise to differing Christian branches and supernatural views on Christ at the time of Nicaea, the compromise expressed in the Nicean Creed which was a loyalty oath for admittance into the new church which became the RCC.

A Christian by definition through the alleged resurrection believes in spirit-mind separate from body.

What are the testable indications of a duality ?

As a computer analogy we can categorically separate software from hardware, IOW mind/body. Once the software is loaded into memory it exists as small electric charges on the gates of a mosfets that comprise memory. Mind is a function of brain electrochemistry.

If you are invoking the Trinity and are Christian perhaps it should be on religion.

The Trinity was developed as compromise to differing Christian branches and supernatural views on Christ at the time of Nicaea, the compromise expressed in the Nicean Creed which was a loyalty oath for admittance into the new church which became the RCC.

A Christian by definition through the alleged resurrection believes in spirit-mind separate from body.

What are the testable indications of a duality ?

As a computer analogy we can categorically separate software from hardware, IOW mind/body. Once the software is loaded into memory it exists as small electric charges on the gates of a mosfets that comprise memory. Mind is a function of brain electrochemistry.

Yes, I am discussing the idea of the Trinity, but I quite patently stated that I don't buy into it.

Horatio mentions, as I did as well, that the concept of the Trinity can be thought about in a secular way, in a non-religious way. I admire and revere the teachings of Jesus, as I understand them; but I am not a Christian by any real sense of the term.

Yes, I know as well as you do what the mind is. Though you will not believe me, nor is there any reason why you should. I am well aware of the distinctions between quantity and quality, objective and subjective, abstract and concrete. Virtually no-one defends the idea of a mind as having nothing to do with the brain, not 'round these parts anyway. At least as far as I know.

untermensche does not refer to the mind as a thing independent of the brain; nor do I. Nor do most evangelical philosophers, like Craig and Plantinga. Craig and Plantinga are not of the simple, brain-washed, irredeemably petulant and moronic "God hates fags" category.

Let us move out of the dark ages, as even those two fundies have done.

Ask DBT how in depth he and I have gone in these discussions, over the course of the years.

What call mind is itself a thoughtform, same with the idea of self. The terms evolved since the beginning as a form of social convienience.

There are cultyres where there is no distinct inbdividual self, at least compared to the west. There is a Japanese island culture where there is no word or concept for leaving the island. One goes but is nver thought apart.

Min decvelopes in an evolutionary process over time, and becomes part of the social norms passed on through cultural immersion.

The best ananalogy for me is hardware vs software.

......snip.........
The best ananalogy for me is hardware vs software.

The problem I have with that analogy is that I see software as analogous to the "wiring of the brain" (established neuron connections) not the processes (mind) created by that wiring. I see "mind" more analogous to the running of the software. The software can be loaded in the hardware but there is still no "mind" until the system is running. I see "mind" more as a verb than a noun - what the software loaded computer does.

Back
Top Bottom