• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Morality in Bible stories that you don't understand

Who created evil in the world?

God says categorically he is the author of evil: “I form the light and create darkness, I make peace and create evil; I, the Lord, do all these things.” (Isaiah 45:7).

I love Ingersoll quotes.

“If the Bible and my brain are both the work of the same infinite God, whose fault is it that the book and my brain do not agree?”

There can be but little liberty on earth while men worship a tyrant in heaven.
Could the cause of evil be "ignorance"?

Can evil exist outside of humanity? Can animals be evil? Can Nature be evil? If humans did not exist ,would there be "evil"? Can ET's be evil?

Is evil attached to awareness and purposefulness of "good" and "evil"?

Can evil exist outside of humanity? Can animals be evil? Can Nature be evil? If humans did not exist ,would there be "evil"? Can ET's be evil?
No. No. *. No. Unclear.
* - The word "nature," capitalized or not, occurs zero times in the Old Testament (KJV). Zero with a Z.

Is that not an implication of Genesis 2:17?

But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

I love Ingersoll quotes.

“If the Bible and my brain are both the work of the same infinite God, whose fault is it that the book and my brain do not agree?”

Though there is no intent or plan, nature can appear callous, vicious and cruel from perspective of the prey, being eaten alive, etc, acts and events that we would consider evil if it were people doing it to each other.

I love Ingersoll quotes.

Though there is no intent or plan, nature can appear callous, vicious and cruel from perspective of the prey, being eaten alive, etc, acts and events that we would consider evil if it were people doing it to each other.
Mandel_zoom_00_mandelbrot_set.jpg

hmmm...No intent or plan...hmmm...There seems to be an intent in being repetitive...in a very structured way...

Now, regarding the concept of "evil", could it be part of a polarity system? Positive and negative?

"According to the chaotic universe model, the universe oscillates in time with chaotic dynamics without repeating itself. In this universe model, there is no singularity, big crunch or big rip. The universe evolves depending on the competing between components."

https://www.space.com/chaos-theory-explainer-unpredictable-systems.html

''And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever, and they have no rest, day or night, these worshipers of the beast and its image, and whoever receives the mark of its name.” - Revelation 14:11

I love Ingersoll quotes.

Mandel_zoom_00_mandelbrot_set.jpg

hmmm...No intent or plan...hmmm...There seems to be an intent in being repetitive...in a very structured way...
By this 'structured way', we are here at least. 🙂

Now, regarding the concept of "evil", could it be part of a polarity system? Positive and negative?

Perhaps it's a lot simpler than the 'over-thinking 'deep thought' ideas we sometimes hear from 'learned' thinking. (I'm a simple man)

Simpler as in terms of the biology - the mere sensitivity of nerve endings - which is there to physically experience a physical world. The sins of the flesh as it were i.e. the over indulgence of self-gratification - applicably regarding intelligent thinking humans (not animals). It becomes evil when the 'over indulgence' is on the detriment of others, etc..

Last edited:
What do you think happens when the brain is damaged but the rest of the nervous system is functional, or vice versa?
Pre-fMRI neuroscientists got a very useful data set.

But to the main point, saying "Nerves don't form experience, brains do" is somewhat like saying "cars can't be in traffic jams, only interchanges can be in traffic jams".

Sorry, I realize this is off topic, really, it just struck me as a rather daft sentence.

Nerves transmit information, the brain interprets that information as pain, pleasure, discomfort, etc, and represents it in conscious form, you then feel pain, pleasure, discomfort.....
In other words ... humans are experiencing the physical world (through their senses). I'm pretty sure that's what I was also meaning.

Can't add to what Politese has highlighted already, regarding the sentence quoted below...

Nerves don't form experience, brains do.

Brain and senses. The senses acquire information, the brain processes the acquired information and represents a part of it in conscious form.
No, you are wrong. Individual neurons form experiences, and groups of neurons form those experiences into phrases of growing complexity about the information.

Not so. But go ahead and support your claim.

Conscious activity involves more than one neuron, information must be acquired, processed, integrated with memory, etc, before being brought to consciousness, which is a network process.
I mean, it's right there in the description. Information is acquired at one end of a single neuron processes by that single neuron. You are adding unnecessary demands that it be "integrated into memory"; I have yet to have any evidence that you understand what integration into memory entails (placing any kind of cyclic/sine wave approximation between two or more switching units such that a signal is captured).

You have made had-wavey declarations what it requires to satisfy your no-true-scotsman, but a single node is still "a network". It is the smallest network unit, and a neuron (or simple binary switch) is a "single network node".

Whether you believe it amounts to your overcomplicated definition of "special edition consciousness" or whatever, it amounts to as much as I have been saying it does because that's how switch networks function, and if they didn't function that way, no piece of modern technology could exist as it does.

You have made certain statements on a site for skeptics about a subject where there are many proposed models wherein consciousness is ubiquitous, or damn near, IIT being one of them (though I as I said modify this theory so it is compatible with the rest of my framework including my framework on free will).

I will choose to be skeptical of your very solidly faith-based insistence about what consciousness "must" be when that's very much a point of contention.

One of those big indicators a framework, or set of frameworks, is accurate is if they make contact like the apparently solved parts of a puzzle, and the parts line up here all nice and square.

The basics:

''In every moment, as you see, think, feel, and navigate the world around you, your perception of these things is built from three ingredients. One is the signals we receive from the outside world, called sense data. Light waves enter your retinas to be experienced as blooming gardens and starry skies. Changes in pressure reach your cochlea and skin and become the voices and hugs of loved ones. Chemicals arrive in your nose and mouth and are transformed into sweetness and spice.

A second ingredient of your experience is sense data from events inside your body, like the blood rushing through your veins and arteries, your lungs expanding and contracting, and your stomach gurgling. Much of this symphony is silent and outside your awareness, thank goodness. If you could feel every inner tug and rumble directly, you’d never pay attention to anything outside your skin.

Finally, a third ingredient is past experience. Without this, the sense data around and inside you would be meaningless noise. It would be like being bombarded by the sounds of a language that you don’t speak, so you can’t even tell where one word ends and the next begins. Your brain uses what you’ve seen, done, and learned in the past to explain sense data in the present, plan your next action, and predict what’s coming next. This all happens automatically and invisibly, faster than you can snap your fingers.

These three ingredients might not be the whole story, and there may be other routes to create other kinds of minds—say, in a futuristic machine. But a human mind is constructed by a brain in constant conversation, moment by unique moment, with a body and the outside world.''

Now pay close attention to the important part;

''Every act of recognition is a construction. You don’t see with your eyes; you see with your brain. Likewise for all your other senses. Your brain compares the sense data coming in now with things you’ve sensed before in a similar situation where you had a similar goal. These comparisons incorporate all your senses at once, because your brain constructs all sensations at once and represents them as grand patterns of neural activity that enable you to experience and understand the world around you.''
You know, quoting Scripture doesn't work for theists here, what makes you think it will work for you?

Not Genesis 1
21 And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, and guinea worms, and brain eating amoeba, and malaria plasmodiums, and every sort of parasite, virus, and bacteria after its kind.

Not Genesis 1
21 And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, and guinea worms, and brain eating amoeba, and malaria plasmodiums, and every sort of parasite, virus, and bacteria after its kind.
The usual mix-up as per atheist reading of Genesis. Where did you read that 'Death came into the world (after sin)' was part of the initial creation with whales and all the other creatures on the earth?

I'll echo then Jaryn's statement, although with an opposite adaptation:
Quoting scripture won't work for atheists here.

So you are saying original sin forced God to create all those parasites, diseases and deadly viruses, bacteria and fungi? Many plague innocent animals. Cute little baby rabbits, duckies, puppies and kitties. Genesis 1 also claims created all animals as vegetarians.

Genesis 1.
29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

Does this strike you as the actions of a supremely wise and perfectly good God? Or more likely an Oriental tall tale teller's foolish Oriental tall tale?

Isaiah 11
The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.

The Bible tells us God could end the cruelty of animal predation if he wanted too. Except then we have to explain away God's demands for animal sacrifice.

Back
Top Bottom