• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

More Evidence of the Police State

Ad-walled.

I presume it was because he was doing it deliberately to be disruptive.

We take away the school's ability to discipline, is it any wonder that discipline problems end up handed off to the police?

Holy fuckity fuck fuck fuck!

And load the page in incognito mode.

Of course, even dismal's memes are strawmen.

Of course, even dismal's memes are strawmen.

You say you want a government that provides health insurance and some see a military style police force knocking down your door.

The strange insanity of the right in the US, desperately trying to hold onto privilege in a growing oligarchy, where they themselves are becoming a second class citizen.

I was able to read the article just fine, some ads at the bottom of the page but not too much.

Wait, this happened in 2011 under Obama? Oh yeah, I can see the article now.

Many schools are devoid of principles.

Most schools are good places that teach students as they are supposed to and that is irrelevant to the topic at hand.

My point (and you could probably see that if you read the article) is that there was a jump from classroom discipline to handing over to the school police officer, an hour in juvie waiting around, and then suspension for the rest of the year. We're talking about burping and he probably did do it to be disruptive, but even so the school discipline and even consequences outside schools and by police have changed quite a bit over the last couple of decades. A minor thing can end up turning into someone dead in the case of police and in school, we get these kinds of things.

In the case of schools...after 9/11 and school shootings, we've embedded police in the schools and rely on them too much to be part of discipline, calling on them too soon, too often. If you ask a police officer to remove a 7th grader from a classroom because the kid is autistic or has some behavior disorder that is very disruptive, the police officer may end up committing violence against the kid as we've seen in threads in this forum. Now, what is appropriate to the level of burping many times in class? It certainly isn't as bad as a fist fight between two students which might result in a three day suspension. If a student has burped disruptively for 5 minutes or so, that may deserve a detention and writing 100 times I will not burp in class. A warning, if it's that and then continuing out in the hall, then it's go to the principal's office. The principal might give more detentions or in-school suspension for rest of day. This is an example of how the level of the consequences ought to escalate with the level of the offense, not necessarily that they are right on target.

Many schools are devoid of principles.

Most schools are good places that teach students as they are supposed to and that is irrelevant to the topic at hand.

My point (and you could probably see that if you read the article) is that there was a jump from classroom discipline to handing over to the school police officer, an hour in juvie waiting around, and then suspension for the rest of the year. We're talking about burping and he probably did do it to be disruptive, but even so the school discipline and even consequences outside schools and by police have changed quite a bit over the last couple of decades. A minor thing can end up turning into someone dead in the case of police and in school, we get these kinds of things.

In the case of schools...after 9/11 and school shootings, we've embedded police in the schools and rely on them too much to be part of discipline, calling on them too soon, too often. If you ask a police officer to remove a 7th grader from a classroom because the kid is autistic or has some behavior disorder that is very disruptive, the police officer may end up committing violence against the kid as we've seen in threads in this forum. Now, what is appropriate to the level of burping many times in class? It certainly isn't as bad as a fist fight between two students which might result in a three day suspension. If a student has burped disruptively for 5 minutes or so, that may deserve a detention and writing 100 times I will not burp in class. A warning, if it's that and then continuing out in the hall, then it's go to the principal's office. The principal might give more detentions or in-school suspension for rest of day. This is an example of how the level of the consequences ought to escalate with the level of the offense, not necessarily that they are right on target.

It really is not the school's job to teach morality, at least in a public school.

Rayschism said:
It really is not the school's job to teach morality, at least in a public school.

How is that relevant?

You said in post #13;

It regards to my specific comment, I was making a sarcastic joke.

Back
Top Bottom