• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Music at campaign rallies

marc

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist, skeptic, nerd
There have been a number of times in the past few election cycles that music is played at a campaign rally, and the artists have asked that the campaign stopped doing that. The candidate's people want to use the music to get the crowd worked up, but the artist detest the candidate.

Well this is not one of those times. There will be an actual live concert at a campaign event!

FightThePower.PNG
Public Enemy playing at a Bernie event

Also there will be Dick Van Dyke and Sarah Silverman

wow... that is not a combination I had ever expected to see

That'll scare the shit outta the stiffs.

Nah, rap is very mainstream now, and Public Enemy despite their name has never been gansta' rap, but they have regularly had a political message to their music. I think they will fit right in.

If you want to attract the older voters who Bernie needs, stick to the original version by the Isley Brothers, mother fuckers and not that shit by Public Enemy! What does an old white man from lily white Vermont know about black music? No, just no. :D Don't culturally appropriate Bern. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCnVpmaePAE

I love soul and funk but Bernie a'int funky nuff for dat! :p

Well this is not one of those times. There will be an actual live concert at a campaign event!
So what songs are they playing? Fuck the police? Burn Hollywood Burn? All very reassuring to possible general election voters. I know one song they won't be playing: Don't Believe the Hype.

So what songs are they playing? Fuck the police? Burn Hollywood Burn? All very reassuring to possible general election voters. I know one song they won't be playing: Don't Believe the Hype.

What we got to say
Power to the people no delay
Make everybody see
In order to fight the powers that be

Fight the power
We've got to fight the powers that be

So what songs are they playing? Fuck the police?

Why would they cover an NWA song?

Burn Hollywood Burn?

A song about the roles black actors were relegated to in Hollywood? Yeah, seems like a good selection.

All very reassuring to possible general election voters. I know one song they won't be playing: Don't Believe the Hype.

Why not? It is about black people being portrayed as criminals in the media.

Why would they cover an NWA song?
My bad. I mixed them up. Not a biggie, it's like thinking an Oasis song was by Blur or vice versa. ;)

A song about the roles black actors were relegated to in Hollywood? Yeah, seems like a good selection.
What roles are blacks supposedly "relegated" to in Hollywood? And I was going by title, which advocates arson.

Again, the title. There is a lot of hype surrounding Bernie. A song title like "Don't Believe the Hype" could be seen as playing to that.

As to "black people being portrayed as criminals in the media", I call BS. First of all, blacks commit more crimes (homicide rate by blacks is ~5x higher than for whites!) and so it would be natural and non-discriminatory to see more media portrayals as criminals. But in fact, it is exactly the opposite! The the media is hyping up any white-on-black crime like the Charleston, SC Church shooting buy downplaying black-on-white crime like the much less known (because of media narratives) Nashville, TN church shooting.

Even in the recent case of the Miller brewery mass shooting, the media downplayed the fact that the shooter was a black man. But when there is a mass shooting by a white man, the media will go on and on about supposedly "violent white men" even though, as I said, FBI data show blacks are five times more likely to kill somebody than whites.

So, the media portrayal is in fact the very opposite of that claimed by the likes of the clock guy.

That would be Flavor Flav, and as far as I know he is no longer in the group.

Yeah, him. You'd think he'd spell it Flava Flav though - much more hip hop!
Also, I wonder if that big clock is overcompensating for a deficiency elsewhere. Hint: remove the 'l' ... :D

I would love to see Public Enemy perform Burn Hollywood Burn from Exodus' Exhibit B: The Human Condition album. At a pinch they could do a cover of Cog's Open Up single.

Don't forget, the best band Trump had been able to scrounge up was the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Music will be very one sided in this campaign.

If the youth are gonna steal songs from my generation, we need one that unites the party! So, my suggestion for today is The Chambers Brothers, "Love, Peace and Happiness"

https://www.elyrics.net/read/c/chambers-brothers-lyrics/love-peace-and-happiness-lyrics.html

All our love, peace, and happiness
We're gonna give to you now
And you can share yours too

We're gonna give to you yeah
You can share yours too

It's a small step for man
But it's a giant leap
For all mankind

I got love, I got peace,
I got happiness and
You can have it too, yeah

Together we stand
Divided we fall
Love, peace, and happiness
Is the best part of all

Oh, love, peace, and happiness

Or maybe the Isleys,
"Caravan of Love" or perhaps the O'Jays, "Love Train".

We tried to "Fight the Power" during the 60s and 70s. It didn't work out so well. Maybe "Love is all we need". ;)

It amazes me how often history seems to repeat itself, in so many ways. It's one thing to read about it. It's another thing to have experienced it.

My bad. I mixed them up. Not a biggie, it's like thinking an Oasis song was by Blur or vice versa. ;)

Not really the same thing, as noted previously, Public Enemy is not gangsta' rap, while NWA most definitely is. Someone familiar with their work would be unlikely to mix the two up.

What roles are blacks supposedly "relegated" to in Hollywood? And I was going by title, which advocates arson.

The song was released in 30 years ago, in 1990, the roles available for blacks to play where much more limited then, and had historically been even more so.

Have you ever heard the phrase "Don't judge a book by its cover"? Don't judge a song by its title is equally apt. The lyrical content of the song does not advocate arson.

Again, the title. There is a lot of hype surrounding Bernie. A song title like "Don't Believe the Hype" could be seen as playing to that.

As to "black people being portrayed as criminals in the media", I call BS. First of all, blacks commit more crimes (homicide rate by blacks is ~5x higher than for whites!) and so it would be natural and non-discriminatory to see more media portrayals as criminals. But in fact, it is exactly the opposite! The the media is hyping up any white-on-black crime like the Charleston, SC Church shooting buy downplaying black-on-white crime like the much less known (because of media narratives) Nashville, TN church shooting.

Even in the recent case of the Miller brewery mass shooting, the media downplayed the fact that the shooter was a black man. But when there is a mass shooting by a white man, the media will go on and on about supposedly "violent white men" even though, as I said, FBI data show blacks are five times more likely to kill somebody than whites.

So, the media portrayal is in fact the very opposite of that claimed by the likes of the clock guy.

That song is even older, and was released in 1988. It shows how the artist felt about the status quo then. There has been progress in the last 30+ years, but not nearly enough.

Back
Top Bottom