• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

My Monitor's Speaker Buzzes when I turn it On

Basic Beliefs
Agnostic/Syndicalist
It has been doing that for two weeks. It is an Optiquest LCD. What's wrong?

Eldarion Lathria

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

Unplug the cable that connects your monitor to your computer to see if that eliminates the buzzing. If so then the problem may in your computer, which you should try turning off and back on again. Alternatively, the problem may be the cable, which you should try turning off and--...which you should try replacing.

Alternatively, try using the computer without a monitor.

Does it buzz or hum? If it buzzes then there could be bees in your monitor. If it hums then it likely forgot the words.

Sorry about that but it had to be said.

But to your problem... there isn't enough information to say specifically what the problem is. It sounds like it could be a ground loop problem or RF interference.

If a ground loop problem, be sure both computer and monitor are plugged into the same outlet - even better if your computer has an AC outlet on the back, plug your monitor into that. Otherwise you may need to get into the chassis of both and insure that the ground wire for the power supplies and amplifiers are firmly secured and making good electrical contact.

RF interference could be coming from a lamp (especially fluorescent) near your computer (or really any electrical device like clocks, etc). Turning off the lamp may solve the problem. If it does then changing the bulb may solve it for you.

What happened two weeks ago? Was the computer moved, or the cables unplugged and then plugged back in for some reason? Is it just one speaker, or both speakers? Do you have audio jacks in both the front and back of the computer?

It could be interference, the speaker cable being plugged into a different jack, the sound card/chip going bad, the speaker cable going bad, or the speaker itself going bad.

If you have audio jacks in the front and back, try switching to the other set of jacks, especially if you are currently plugged into the front jacks. The audio jacks in the back are generally a more direct connection to the sound card/chip, so there is less chance of interference or bad internal wiring in the computer.

If it is just one speaker then it is likely the speaker itself going bad, but could still be an issue with the cable. If the cable is not permanently attached to the speaker, try swapping it between the speakers, and see if the issue moves to the other speaker.

If you have recently moved the computer, or rerouted the cables, make sure you are plugged into the audio out jack, or the headphone jack. Try swapping the cable between these two jacks to see if that resolves the issue. Also, make sure the cable is not wrapped around any other cables, particularly a power cable. This can cause interference on the speaker cable.

If none of the above works, and you have access to another set of speakers, try swapping those speakers in for the set causing the noise. If you still hear the buzz, then it is most likely the sound card/chip. You can get a USB sound card for under $20 these days.

Monitor and computer are plugged into the same surge protected outlet. I don't use the computer speaker, there are speakers plugged into the computers and I use these. the monitor and computer have been in the same place for a year.

I've turned the monitor speaker off. Maybe that will help.

Eldarion Lathria

Monitor and computer are plugged into the same surge protected outlet. I don't use the computer speaker, there are speakers plugged into the computers and I use these. the monitor and computer have been in the same place for a year.

I've turned the monitor speaker off. Maybe that will help.

Eldarion Lathria

Ah, well if you don't use the monitor speakers, that should work just fine. In that case I would suspect that the jack from the speaker, since it is not plugged in, got jostled around somehow, and contacted something metal, like the back of the computer case.

Could be a wire nearby giving interference as well, like a power line near the speaker/jack cord, you could try moving it around.

Back
Top Bottom