• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

New Catholic Documentary Tells Gays To Give Up Sex For God

Potoooooooo

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
http://www.queerty.com/new-catholic-documentary-tells-gays-to-give-up-sex-for-god-20140520

Catholic teaching holds that lesbians and gay men won’t go to hell if they refrain from sex. Now a new documentary is making the rounds to promote just that point. Entitled “The Third Way: Homosexuality and the Catholic Church,” the film features gay men and lesbians who follow the Church’s teaching and embrace celibacy, along with a few priests who pontificate (so to speak) about catechism. (The 38-minute film is available for viewing online.)
“We’re all called to chastity,” says one man in the film. “What is best for this man I love?,” asks another speculating about what happens when you are attracted to another man. “How do I do that? Maybe it’s through sacrifice.”
As might be expected, the film doesn’t paint a picture of gay life as fulfilling. Several of the people in the film talk about loneliness and depression, and a few explicitly attribute their sexual actions as adults to the search to cure that sense of loneliness. No one talks about having a happy childhood or even a happy adulthood.
The film also studiously likes to talk about ‘same-sex attraction,” which is the Church’s terminology for being lesbian or gay. By diminishing identity to sexual attraction, the film defines LGBT people on its own terms.

CelebRate! CelebRate!!! There was an "R" in there!!!!

That's awesome!

When are they gonna tell their priests to give up sex with children? When are they gonna tell their parishioners to give up getting multiple divorces and committing adultery? When are they gonna remind their flock to take responsibility for the log in their own eye instead of piously fixating on the mote in any other group members eye?
:poke_with_stick:

This seems to come close to being that weird idea where there may be differing degrees for each of us, because the sins each of us must struggle with are different or whatever, but same sex attraction is a "problem" that all of us must face at one time or another.

And like... I'm sorry guys, but as a straight man I feel like I'm in a position to say that's not how being straight works.

I have read a textbook used in the Costa Rican Ecclesiastical Province which affirms celibacy is a vocation, a gift of God not given to everyone. Therefore they are asking of gays what they wouldn't ask of anyone else.

Years and years of philosophical studies and they can't see the most elementary contradiction in policy. That's what you get when the needs of sexual repression gets in the way: defense mechanisms giving your cognitive blind spots.

I guess it's because those with the sufficient mental clarity to see through the horseshit just leave.

Back
Top Bottom