• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

New Chrysler minivan with a total new look and HYBRID!?

Rhea

Cyborg with a Tiara
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
Don't be fooled by the badge "Pacifica". It's not the CUV of a decade ago. Just re-using the name to indicate all the changes. Anyway.

That new "forward down" look that is supposed to be sporty and aerodynamic.

This new one has an option for plug-in hybrid with a 30 mile range. Hubby says they used the front stow-n-go space for the battery, so there's only rear stow now. But you can get it with the gas engine with old-timey power and torque.

They stuck in 3 sunroofs and 9-speed transmission. Apparently I'm too used to driving old vehicles and was unaware this was kind of a standard thing in quite a few new cars. Seems like it'll make hills better though.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2016/01/2017-chrysler-pacifica-wants-to-reinvent-the-minivan.html

Lots and lots of changes. Really surprised me.

Thanks, Chrysler sales rep. :p

LOL, not one. Just an automobile enthusiast. To be honest, I'd rather have one of those Mercedes Sprinters. As my minivan, that is. Daily driver still would prefer something zippy. Summer car, I like the Miata. Winter car I like a front wheel drive - many cars are okay with me. On the track I like nimble rather than powerful. Nostalgic fondness for some of the heavy metal of the 60s and 70s. Between my hubby and me we own 7 cars, 2 motorcycles and a tractor, so there is plenty to drive.

This minivan Pacifica - I'm not actually sure I want it. I currently have a Town & Country that will need replacement soon. When Hubby showed me this, I balked a bit. Of course, I don't buy new cars anyway, so this is not my market for another 3 years. By that time my current van would have more than 250,000 miles on it, so it may have been replaced with something else.

Another problem with these major design changes is that when you want to add go-fast goodies or stability features or even just some fluff for comfort, there is no source of parts in the junkyard, which is the way we usually upgrade our rides.

Hybrid as in a hybrid (can do all electric or all gas) not a hybrid hybrid (continuously available battery assist like an Insight or Prius). Once you go 30 miles, you are gas only. Oddly enough, not a note on the MPG, just the even Stephen Hawking can't understand it MPGe rating.

30 miles for a minivan is pretty cool though. Just I have a strange feeling that number is being reported to make people think the minivan gets 30 MPG, which would be huge for a Minivan.

Never been a big fan of Chrysler products. Always seemed a little cheap and not as well put together than the competition. Also always seemed to be about two years behind the competition in technology. This Pacifica looks to be quite a leap forward for Chrysler though.

Saw a review of the new BMW Alpina B6 on Motorweek. I really want this car. Not going to happen unless I win the Powerball.

http://www.bmwusa.com/bmw/6Series/alpinaB6

Never been a big fan of Chrysler products. Always seemed a little cheap and not as well put together than the competition. Also always seemed to be about two years behind the competition in technology.
I agree, with the striking exception of the minivan. Chrysler's minivans are extremely durable, in my experience. It is the only Chrysler I've ever owned (or wanted to) outside of the '67 Belvedere that was my first car.

This Pacifica looks to be quite a leap forward for Chrysler though.

Saw a review of the new BMW Alpina B6 on Motorweek. I really want this car. Not going to happen unless I win the Powerball.

http://www.bmwusa.com/bmw/6Series/alpinaB6

Mmmm some of my favorite cars have been BMWs.
I love the advert, though:
  • 0-60
  • HP
  • PAINT COLORS!!!

This part is funny: We made it so you can SOUND fierce! I admit this is a selling point for many enthusiasts.
POWER YOU CAN HEAR.

Boasting an exclusive refined stainless steel ALPINA exhaust system, it resonates with a deep but unobtrusive note. And when using SPORT mode with Driving Dynamics Control, it emits a lusty roar under dynamic bursts of acceleration.

I've never tried racing in a manual/auto tippy shift thing. It seems like it would be weird shifting without a clutch. Can you match revs to avoid suspension lurching?

I've never even ridden in a Bimmer before. Love to fantasize about having one.

I've never even ridden in a Bimmer before. Love to fantasize about having one.

My sister and I bought an old 1972 for racing. She named it "Owen" because for a while she was still Owin' on it. That was a fun car. Then we got a 1980s 325 which was also fun, but only half the character of Owen.

Speaking of M3s... care to take one on a lap around Nürburgring in one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr7EC-XbqP0
(lap was driven in 2004, even though the vid was published in 2013. But the commentary, dubbed on after the record lap, is a delight to enjoy.

Speaking of M3s... care to take one on a lap around Nürburgring in one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr7EC-XbqP0
(lap was driven in 2004, even though the vid was published in 2013. But the commentary, dubbed on after the record lap, is a delight to enjoy.

Wheee! That was fun! Thanks for that! I fond a better quality version of that same video but got a BSOD about half way through. :(

I love road racing. Hard to find it on US tv. Used to have the MavTV channel when we had DirecTV but had to give it up when we moved. Lots of road racing on that channel.

I watched an eFormula 1 race. Electric Formula 1 cars. Without that lovely sound of a true F1 car, it just wasn't as satisfying.

I watched an eFormula 1 race. Electric Formula 1 cars. Without that lovely sound of a true F1 car, it just wasn't as satisfying.

Oooh, I love the sound of F1. I agree the eF1 would lose a certain thrill.
We had an audio tape of an F1 race spliced together, some audio from inside cars, some from a corner so you could hear several cars. A couple of us driving out to a race several states away were listening to it, it was awesome. I was driving at the time. Luckily there was virtually no traffic because after about 5 minutes of it, my buddy leans over and says, "did you MEAN to be going 120mph?" Ooops! I should not play that tape while driving on the public road. Should NOT. Cue sound of downshifting the V12....

I'm in a good mood, and I want to say something positive, but a mini-van?

I had to delete the rest, but know that I was very positive!

Mini-vans definitely have their place in the world and I give credit to Chrysler for inventing them.

I'm in a good mood, and I want to say something positive, but a mini-van?

I had to delete the rest, but know that I was very positive!

I understand, I really do. I'm not at my best when I'm identified as an owner of a minivan. In fact there's even a joke about that built into my custom license plate; along the lines of, "I didn't pick this, honest!" Some cars are machines, some are appliances. This one is an appliance. It's does its job, but it is not "fun." Luckily, I live in a place where I have room to put all of the other cars one should own for fun. :) And it does make a great pit-vehicle, especially in rain or snow.

And in that meanwhile, it hauls all the kids who need to be hauled. Then it gets parked and I take out a fun car.

Screw the minivan. Check this out!
[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/aXiZs94fvyU[/YOUTUBE]

Back
Top Bottom