• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

New Computer Question

Tasks I want isolated from the main system, or have to separate (one's running XP!) One of those virtuals is running this browser--if something evil did get in it would just be a matter of restoring it from backups.
I guess you don't want to answer.
You don't need 16G for browsing. 4-8G is just fine.

That was one of the machines, not all of them. It's got 8gb because I often have a lot of tabs open and I've found it helps.

Tasks I want isolated from the main system, or have to separate (one's running XP!) One of those virtuals is running this browser--if something evil did get in it would just be a matter of restoring it from backups.
I guess you don't want to answer.
You don't need 16G for browsing. 4-8G is just fine.

That was one of the machines, not all of them. It's got 8gb because I often have a lot of tabs open and I've found it helps.
So, what do you need 64-8=56GB of RAM for? :)

As I said before, I don't. It's just 32gb would cause thrashing too often. 40gb would probably be fine but that's not how it works.

As I said before, I don't. It's just 32gb would cause thrashing too often. 40gb would probably be fine but that's not how it works.
Just because you set your VM to have 16G does not mean it's used. I mean from the point of view of the host machine it IS used but in reality it is not. In other words, your 32GB usage is meaningless number.

I have a desktop made from an old notebook. It currently has 6GB memory. I set 1G ZRAM as a swap and I have yet top see more than 300M of it used.
and 300M swap usage has not changed in a while. I think it's just some junk pages which are not used anymore.

I currently have 15 tabs with moderately heavy webpages and few other things like IDE opened. With all that, it reports ~1.8GB free plus 2.5GB cashed/buffered memory.
Basically I use about 3GB, the rest is just disk buffer/cache. I actually have two other machines with 3GB and 1.5GB.
I rarely use 3GB as a desktop, but when I did, I had no problem with only 3GB memory for browsing. 1.5GB machine is practically useless, not enough memory.
In short, 4GB is more than enough for ordinary browsing and some.

I checked how much RAM typical tabs are using.
typical news site 60-100MB
google maps - 300MB
youtube 150MB
google chrome itself 200MB.

Basically, with 8GB you can have 50 permanently open tabs and still have lots of free memory.

I think it's one of those situations where the specs need to keep going up to justify a higher price, but where the high-end isn't really necessary. I'm currently running an i5 with 8 GB of RAM and that's plenty. With how bulky Windows and internet browsers are these days you wouldn't want to go less than 8gb, and 16gb is probably a wise choice. But I can't imagine what any basic user would need with more (outside of those who play video games).

It's my understanding that Windows can't address anything more than 8 gigs unless that's changed in recent versions.

The last workstation I built for my personal use has 128 GB of ram, and my work laptop uses 32GB, and Windows 10 can handle it just fine.

I think it's one of those situations where the specs need to keep going up to justify a higher price, but where the high-end isn't really necessary. I'm currently running an i5 with 8 GB of RAM and that's plenty. With how bulky Windows and internet browsers are these days you wouldn't want to go less than 8gb, and 16gb is probably a wise choice. But I can't imagine what any basic user would need with more (outside of those who play video games).

It's my understanding that Windows can't address anything more than 8 gigs unless that's changed in recent versions.

The last workstation I built for my personal use has 128 GB of ram, and my work laptop uses 32GB, and Windows 10 can handle it just fine.
Jebus! You are the Billy Rosewood of PCs. :D

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S1YGq9VfPA&ab_channel=BeyondWrittenWords[/YOUTUBE]

Back
Top Bottom