• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

New map captures explosive rise of the nonreligious

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
Decades ago, the nones were a tiny minority. But in the early 21st century, their numbers started growing. And that growth was rapid: less like a gentle ramp, more like a rocket blasting off.

In a little under two decades, the nones rose from insignificance to national prominence. They became a force to be reckoned with, counterbalancing the influence of the religious right and arguably swinging presidential elections.

And they’re still growing. As recently as 2019, the nones were as numerous as Roman Catholics and evangelicals, the two largest religious groups in America. However, that three-way tie isn’t a tie anymore.

According to a 2024 Pew survey, the nones have moved into the lead:

When Americans are asked to check a box indicating their religious affiliation, 28% now check ‘none.’
A new study from Pew Research finds that the religiously unaffiliated – a group comprised of atheists, agnostic and those who say their religion is “nothing in particular” – is now the largest cohort in the U.S. They’re more prevalent among American adults than Catholics (23%) or evangelical Protestants (24%).
Religious ‘Nones’ are now the largest single group in the U.S.” Jason DeRose, NPR, 24 January 2024.
Woot!

Interesting article, but I agree with one of the comments I saw - they made a mistake lumping those without a particular religious affiliation with those who are agnostic/atheist.

I no longer have an affiliation with any specific denomination, but I still have my faith.

It seems to me that the growth in those who no longer identify as a member of any particular denomination is due to the increase in reporting about issues within denominational life. People like me are still firmly in the camp of faith; we just don't believe that we need the "blessing" of some particular sect to live that faith.

Ruth

I read about a UK poll on religion some time back.

At the end the pollsters foiund the study was meaningless. Simply asking if you believe in god or have religious beliefs as a black and white dichotomy does not reveal what the 'non religious' believe.It al dends on how the questions are framed.

Colloquially here in the USA if you ask if someone believes n god or is religions it is asking if you are Christian or not.

One cam say one is non religious but believe in some kind of higher power or guiding cosmic force.

Studies I have seen say that is more like people are abdomen mainstream religion for alternate non traditional forms.

That started in the 60s. There was an array of 'gurus' from India. The Maharishi and Transcendental Mediation.

in the 70s in Hartford Ct there was an ashram in my neighborhood off American Sikh converts. Families and individuals lived in two houses. They had a landscaping bus mess. Men wore long haid and had ceremonial daggers. They all took om Sikh names.

Scientology of course. I was living in Portland Or in the 80s when another Indian guru and his western followers took over a ranch in Antelope Or. The Bhagwan. His followers wore red and carried his picture around their necks. It got serious. They descended on the town just before elections and took over the town. The town tried to dis-incorporate before the elecetion but it was too late. The Rajneshis controlled the city government and police department which gave them legal access to automatic rifles. They paraded around the ranch with weapons.

Timothy Leary turned LSD into a mysticism.

So, the idea that people may be turning away from Christianity in the west in no way mens a shift to rationality.

Ekankar is still around, thir commercials are runng on TV.. 'Lpve God'.

At the end the pollsters foiund the study was meaningless. Simply asking if you believe in god or have religious beliefs as a black and white dichotomy does not reveal what the 'non religious' believe.It al dends on how the questions are framed.
Nah. Fuck the questions. I mean the questions are helpful in getting a direction but ultimately it comes down to observed behavior. People answering questions lets you come up with a testable hypothesis. You still need documentation. So are people behaving less "religiously" in my neck of the woods? That's a great big affirmative. Can't speak for your neighborhood. And I don't see other forms of woo being practiced much around here despite your claims. I've asked a few people if they believe in ghosts and afterlives but for the life of me I don't see anything about their behavior that distinguishes it from my own. Money talks and bullshit walks as they say. People just like to bullshit is how I take their claims.

Decades ago, the nones were a tiny minority. But in the early 21st century, their numbers started growing. And that growth was rapid: less like a gentle ramp, more like a rocket blasting off.

In a little under two decades, the nones rose from insignificance to national prominence. They became a force to be reckoned with, counterbalancing the influence of the religious right and arguably swinging presidential elections.

And they’re still growing. As recently as 2019, the nones were as numerous as Roman Catholics and evangelicals, the two largest religious groups in America. However, that three-way tie isn’t a tie anymore.

According to a 2024 Pew survey, the nones have moved into the lead:

When Americans are asked to check a box indicating their religious affiliation, 28% now check ‘none.’
A new study from Pew Research finds that the religiously unaffiliated – a group comprised of atheists, agnostic and those who say their religion is “nothing in particular” – is now the largest cohort in the U.S. They’re more prevalent among American adults than Catholics (23%) or evangelical Protestants (24%).
Religious ‘Nones’ are now the largest single group in the U.S.” Jason DeRose, NPR, 24 January 2024.
Woot!
Overall, though, the nonreligious are still outnumbered by the religious two-to-one. There's a lot of catching up for the nonreligious to do.

Interesting article, but I agree with one of the comments I saw - they made a mistake lumping those without a particular religious affiliation with those who are agnostic/atheist.

I no longer have an affiliation with any specific denomination, but I still have my faith.

It seems to me that the growth in those who no longer identify as a member of any particular denomination is due to the increase in reporting about issues within denominational life. People like me are still firmly in the camp of faith; we just don't believe that we need the "blessing" of some particular sect to live that faith.

Ruth
I've heard that many of the "nones" aren't necessarily atheists but like you they just don't belong to any religious group.

I do not see how the national None average is 28% if the number is lower than that in only two small states.

Hope the state numbers are true ones...

Back
Top Bottom