• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

New Moral Philosophy: Treat everyone like they were your own child

rousseau

Contributor
Unless of course you're an asshole to your own children. Seriously, though, besides the fact that you might be treating someone you're having sex with like your own child, this is about the perfect moral philosophy to follow throughout your life.

- You imagine that everyone, everywhere wants to be treated by respect by you
- You imagine that everyone, everywhere wants to be heard by you
- You imagine that you have something to offer and teach everyone you meet
- You have the patience to forgive the mistakes that other people make, realizing that no one is perfect
- All in all, you treat people with unconditional love, because why the hell not?

After all, we're all just over-grown kids.

Unless of course you're an asshole to your own children. Seriously, though, besides the fact that you might be treating someone you're having sex with like your own child, this is about the perfect moral philosophy to follow throughout your life.

- You have the patience to forgive the mistakes that other people make, realizing that no one is perfect
- All in all, you treat people with unconditional love, because why the hell not?

1; what's new about this? This is basically just the golden rule with some minor variations.

2; why attach the 'child' terminology to it?

3; imagining that everyone, everywhere, wants to be heard by you and/or imagining that you have something to offer and teach to everyone you meet; is probably a sure way to get kicked off the planet before long for being an annoying twat.

1; what's new about this? This is basically just the golden rule with some minor variations.

2; why attach the 'child' terminology to it?

3; imagining that everyone, everywhere, wants to be heard by you and/or imagining that you have something to offer and teach to everyone you meet; is probably a sure way to get kicked off the planet before long for being an annoying twat.

I guess you could say the golden rule is good in theory, but doesn't actually include any useful information for people who don't understand how to be awesome, this does. Attaching the child terminology allows people to see that it might be useful to view everyone in a very specific, empathetic way that they can easily understand, also because I dunno you're thinking about it too much. As for your third point let's just add 'don't be a twat about it' as a sub comment.

I think that this is mostly true. I imagine that there are a few odd exceptions somewhere, but in the case, the exception may prove the rule.

So what? What will this accomplish? I don't particularly care if everyone wants to be heard by me. I need to be able to filter out nonsense, bullshit and harmful crap. For example, I'm not going to listen to someone who advocates misogyny. Why should I even if that person really wants to be heard by me?

How does that help anything? I may have something to teach or offer; I may not. Further, people may not be the least bit interested in what I have to say or offer. I've been on the receiving end of unwanted "offerings and teachings" and it's annoying as hell.

It depends on the degree of harm that a mistake causes me. It also depends on the number of times the same mistake is made that harms me. If someone keeps doing the same harmful shit over and over and over again, forgiving them is not something I'm inclined to do, even if they didn't really mean it. If it's a cashier who gets my change wrong, no problem. If it's a friend who says something awful to me, but later apologizes, no problem. If it's someone whose inattention while driving causes the death of someone I care for, BIG PROBLEM. Forgiveness is not going to be high on my list for something like that.

Why the hell not? Because I'm not naive. Because I've been harmed by people, even by people whom I've loved. Unconditional love implies trust. I am incapable of trusting anyone who has not shown me that they are trustworthy. I'm not capable of loving someone whom I don't know. Love, for me, is not some trifling thing that I hand out willy-nilly like children passing around Valentine's day cards in a school room. While I can be compassionate without loving someone, I can't love everyone I come in contact with. Besides, I'm not sure that unconditional love is something that really exists.

No. I'm a 50 year old woman, not a kid. My childhood is long gone.

All your points are valid. Let's just imagine that any type of philosophy is going to have a grey area and certain limits, and that you've identified the limits of the philosophy. If you look in the other direction at it's value rather than its limits, I think you'll find that there's some value there.

All your points are valid. Let's just imagine that any type of philosophy is going to have a grey area and certain limits, and that you've identified the limits of the philosophy. If you look in the other direction at it's value rather than its limits, I think you'll find that there's some value there.

Oh, there's definitely value there. In fact, some of them are not too different from some of the rules of engagement I invoke when I facilitate meetings and work sessions. I'm just a little twitchy about applying them too broadly as an overall philosophy. Does that make sense?

I'll pass. I don't want to wipe the runny noses of perfect strangers, or yell at people in the mall to stop playing with the merchandise.

This thread fails.

Interesting. I wouldn't have inferred those points from "treat everyone like they were your own child". The way I see it, the relationship between a parent and a child is characterized primarily by its inherent inequality and practically unavoidable paternalism. Children seem generally held by most(exempting some pedophiles) to be incompetent to make decisions regarding their own welfare and in need of protection from the world and from themselves.

So far so good.

Not all the time. In fact, most of the time I don't even want to be heard by other people. Assuming that other people want me to hear them is a great way to lose friends.

I seriously disagree with this recommendation. It's the hallmark of a self-important, smug asshole who thinks everyone around him is just another potential receptacle for his unique worldview. I would turn it around and say: imagine that you have something to LEARN FROM everyone you meet.

Thumbs up.

Because there are conditions to love. Unconditional love is an impossible ideal, and striving towards it can do more harm than good. I don't think there is any moral imperfection in admitting that love is something to be earned, not handed out willy-nilly.

That we are, that we are.

I don't think there's much to improve upon in the Platinum Rule: treat others how they would prefer to be treated.

I don't think there's much to improve upon in the Platinum Rule: treat others how they would prefer to be treated.

I can think of a few teenagers who would love everyone else to live by this rule, come to think of it, I can think of a lot of people who would love everyone else to live by this rule.

I can think of a few teenagers who would love everyone else to live by this rule, come to think of it, I can think of a lot of people who would love everyone else to live by this rule.

The same can be said of the Golden Rule. Any universal dictum loses its steam as fewer people adopt it. These things depend upon reciprocality.

PyramidHead;

The same can be said of the Golden Rule. Any universal dictum loses its steam as fewer people adopt it. These things depend upon reciprocality.

Sadly you are right, the golden rule very much depends on looking after the needs of others, and when you put others first, you get taken advantage off.

Do we throw all golden rules out the window, and the strongest win?

treat same as kids.

What a gruesome thought.

When was the last time you spanked someone who misbehaved or even tossed him/her across the room.

What were you thinking about when you thought this up?

Go to your room.
No dinner for you.
Not a word.
Go to bed.
I'm going to send you back to the post office or wherever you came from.

Wow.

PyramidHead;

Sadly you are right, the golden rule very much depends on looking after the needs of others, and when you put others first, you get taken advantage off.

Do we throw all golden rules out the window, and the strongest win?

It seems like you're suggesting that "the strongest win" is the only alternative to the golden rule. It also seems like you're suggesting that "the strongest win" is not already the case.

Oh, god, no. This will never work.
This sounds more like 'treat everyone as if you're their 1950's TV dad.'
But then, i would also expect that they treat me with respect. In fact, i kinda demand it. And i figure it's my responsibility that stranger A also treats stranger B with respect. Because now, both are my kids and both of them are acting like they were raised in a barn.
and again, i would imagine that they also should be willing to hear me. That i'm responsible for teaching them important things about the tasks they're faced with.
I can just see the first time i go back into the restaurant's scullery and say, "Now, come here, you have a problem putting clean forks on the table. Let's go over your cleaning procedure, step by step."
Damn straight I do. "Get over here and clean this ketchup station! Let me show you how to put napkins in the dispenser properly. You put everything in upside down. Take the phones out of your ears when you're working. I'm taking your car keys until you can learn to drive safely."
I forgive them, sure. But i still take the time to correct their mistakes. Every single time. Until they get it right.
They can have my love unconditionally. They just can't go out drinking on Friday until the bills are paid and the kitchen floor is swept and they've written or at least texted home to mother. And don't get me started on your cousins in Congress.

To avoid the comments like "I don't want to wipe everyone's noses" or "they don't want me trying to talk to them like they are a child", let's imagine that the "own child" is your child, but a fully grown adult. Or, we could just imagine that they are any of your close kin, whom you care for and want to be happy.
It isn't that they have any specific qualities similar to a specific type of kin, but just that you have a natural empathy towards them and wouldn't deliberately harm them or even take advantage of their weaknesses for your own gain.

An advantage it has over the golden rule is that many people either don't love themselves or come up with dishonest claims that they would want to be duped if they were dumb enough to be duped, thus they have an excuse to dupe others. I call bullshit that anyone wants others to take advantage of them in moments of irrationality (we all have them), but shifting it from oneself to "someone you love" blocks this type of excuse.

It means that we can still treat people conditionally upon how they treat us and their decency toward others, but the starting baseline of how we treat them and the benefit of the doubt we give them is higher. It means that unless a specific person gives you strong cause, you cannot dupe them in an economic exchange under the excuse that "they're dumb enough to fall for it". It is most relevant for limiting the actions we take that could harm others, which includes convincing them to do things against their own interests. IOW, it makes it just as immoral to lie to your sister about the condition of my car when I sell it to her as it would to lie to my own sister.

The biggest weakness I see with this perspective is in areas where we do not act to go out of our way to protect people against other people or events. If my mother is sick, I am more obligated to help her than is a total stranger. It makes sense that should be the way it is. Acting to harm is immoral, even toward a stranger, but failing to act to prevent harm that you didn't cause is not automatically immoral, but can be if you have some personal connection because looking out for each other is part of the expectations of personal relationships.

To fix the weakness, we could change the rule to "Treat everyone like they are your best friend's cousin whom you do not know but they care deeply about."
It obligates you not to act to cause harm or even take knowing advantage of them, but doesn't obligate you to be the one that acts to protect them from other harms that you are not the cause of.

To avoid the comments like "I don't want to wipe everyone's noses" or "they don't want me trying to talk to them like they are a child", let's imagine that the "own child" is your child, but a fully grown adult. Or, we could just imagine that they are any of your close kin, whom you care for and want to be happy.
It isn't that they have any specific qualities similar to a specific type of kin, but just that you have a natural empathy towards them and wouldn't deliberately harm them or even take advantage of their weaknesses for your own gain.

An advantage it has over the golden rule is that many people either don't love themselves or come up with dishonest claims that they would want to be duped if they were dumb enough to be duped, thus they have an excuse to dupe others. I call bullshit that anyone wants others to take advantage of them in moments of irrationality (we all have them), but shifting it from oneself to "someone you love" blocks this type of excuse.

It means that we can still treat people conditionally upon how they treat us and their decency toward others, but the starting baseline of how we treat them and the benefit of the doubt we give them is higher. It means that unless a specific person gives you strong cause, you cannot dupe them in an economic exchange under the excuse that "they're dumb enough to fall for it". It is most relevant for limiting the actions we take that could harm others, which includes convincing them to do things against their own interests. IOW, it makes it just as immoral to lie to your sister about the condition of my car when I sell it to her as it would to lie to my own sister.

The biggest weakness I see with this perspective is in areas where we do not act to go out of our way to protect people against other people or events. If my mother is sick, I am more obligated to help her than is a total stranger. It makes sense that should be the way it is. Acting to harm is immoral, even toward a stranger, but failing to act to prevent harm that you didn't cause is not automatically immoral, but can be if you have some personal connection because looking out for each other is part of the expectations of personal relationships.

To fix the weakness, we could change the rule to "Treat everyone like they are your best friend's cousin whom you do not know but they care deeply about."
It obligates you not to act to cause harm or even take knowing advantage of them, but doesn't obligate you to be the one that acts to protect them from other harms that you are not the cause of.

Yea, this is the post I keep thinking about every time someone replies to this thread, but am too lazy to write. Thanks doubingt.

rousseau;

I agree with you, but how do we do this?

Around twenty thousand children die every single day; as a cause of grinding poverty and preventable disease. How do we treat these children as our own?

rousseau;

I agree with you, but how do we do this?

Around twenty thousand children die every single day; as a cause of grinding poverty and preventable disease. How do we treat these children as our own?

Well.

If you really want to treat them as your own you need to starve your kids, expose them to bad water, excess temperature, dehydration and mutilate them a number of different ways in between beatings.

fromderinside;

If you really want to treat them as your own you need to starve your kids, expose them to bad water, excess temperature, dehydration and mutilate them a number of different ways in between beatings.

That may be the way of the world, but is there a kinder solution?

Back
Top Bottom