• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

New (to me) Computer

I mean compared to the 7 install. And yes, it took over a full day for all the updates to install.
You said it came with a fresh install of 7. In my experience fresh install is always followed by few hours of updating, indexing and other useless crap. It's very doubtful that there is an actual difference between 7 and 10 in terms of speed.

So I got the 4 gig sodimm today. Popped in into the computer and it wouldn't even boot into the bios. That sucks.

So I got the 4 gig sodimm today. Popped in into the computer and it wouldn't even boot into the bios. That sucks.
looks like faulty module. If not send it to me, I can use it my Atom (it has 2GB now)

Now I am starting to remember that I had similar troubles with 4GB module in Atom netbook.
I have tried two 4 GB modules. One did not work, another did. Don't know why. The one which did work only 3GB were visible. This is becasue part of the maximum 4GB address space was used by devices.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing about being faulty. I'm going to try it out in my other laptop.

Hope you're feeling better, BTW.

Tried it out in my other laptop and it work just fine. Dammit.

Yeah, I'll swap the module with one of the one from my other laptop and see what happens.

I installed the ssd and that kicked up the speed a good bit.

Yeah, the biggest bottleneck especially in systems with low memory is swap time, and SSD is an order of magnitude or several faster than spinning media.

Yeah, the biggest bottleneck especially in systems with low memory is swap time, and SSD is an order of magnitude or several faster than spinning media.
Yeah. On the previous install of windows 10, it took a full day to install the updates. On the ssd, it took about six hours.

I tried to copy the original disk using Macrium but but I could not get the new disk to show in windows 10., so I had to restart from scratch.

Restarting from new is usually best.

I don't know, active use of SSD for swap is a sure way to kill it. ZRAM is way to go for swap.

I don't know, active use of SSD for swap is a sure way to kill it. ZRAM is way to go for swap.
Was. With modern wear levelling and reserved replacement regions, it's not a huge issue. What is certain is that that's where the biggest bottleneck on any RAM starved is going to be

Was. With modern wear levelling and reserved replacement regions, it's not a huge issue.
Not really. SSD are still 300-500 rewrites. So nothing changed. At 100% activity fast SSD will die in one month.
You are a couple orders of magnitude low. It is between 10,000 and 100,000k these days.

You are a couple orders of magnitude low. It is between 10,000 and 100,000k these days
You are mistaken. 100K is for low density SLC memory for firmware chips and such.
High density TLC/QLC chips are 300-500 rewrites. In practice you can achive more because of SLC cache but people do successfully kill SSDs in rather short amount of time.

SSD SAMSUNG 980 MZ-V8V500BW rated for 600 rewrites.

at full speed is just 2 days and it's out. of course full speed is not realistic, so it will take more than 2 days, but it will be dead in one month for sure.

Last edited:
I'm not going to worry about early death of the ssd. Their cheap nowadays and the only purpose of this computer is for diagnostics and module access on my BMW so it's not going to get a lot of use.

Back
Top Bottom