• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

New TOOL coming soon!

Shake

Basic Beliefs
agnostic atheistic humanist
Waiting patiently (? ... or not) for the end of the month. After 13+ years, what's another week or two at this point.

The mans are releasing a new album so the other mans can exchange money for it. When they released their last one I viewed exchanging money for it as unthinkable. I went to the Best Buy and exchanged money for a priceless piece of art. Not an album. This time though it's different. They've already made many "Mona Lisa"'s afaic. I'm fearing this newest creation will merely have larger breasts and a toothier smile. I want to be wrong but I ain't the same man I was then. And I'm talking like this over the as yet new album from the autistics, Maynard's description of their work a style, and the vineyardist. Someone please shoot me. AFTER the new album comes out. AND AFTER I decide whether or not I. No just shoot me. If Tool have encouraged 1 thing over the years it's to think for yourself. I won't listen to any of their new stuff yet. Because I don't listen to their old stuff as individual songs. But as strokes in particular paintings. I'm to old to do that anymore. Looking forward to hearing the new album. I might even get the joke this time. Or maybe it'll still be on me.

Shoe

I just downloaded the new album and I'm about to enjoy it with a tall glass of Yagermeister, coconut rum, and pineapple juice with some old ass weed I found that was probably bought 13 years ago when the last album came out. Can't think of a better way to start my birthday weekend. Cheers!

Well, it's not a bad album, that's the best I can say about it. I found it underwhelming, after 13 years I expected more, but I probably shouldn't have. I like prog rock, but Tool has always been a pretty good balance between prog, metal, and alternative. It seems like they tried to drop some of the metal sound on this album, but failed to significantly improve on the prog elements. What they did deliver in that area is a bunch of minute and a half to 3 minute long "intro songs", that are synth heavy trippy interludes that go nowhere. Other than that, Fear Innoculum sounds a lot like a muted version of Lateralus. For fuck's sake, there is even one 12 minute long song that basically repeats the riff from Schism for the entire first half of the song, without the vocal aggression that Schism has. So, they took schism, extended it to be twice as long, and made it a worse song by replacing the vocals.

I better stop now, before it begins to sound like I am a Tool hater. I love Tool, and was really looking forward to this album, but there is very little here that I feel compelled to continue to listen to.

Well, it's not a bad album, that's the best I can say about it. I found it underwhelming, after 13 years I expected more, but I probably shouldn't have. I like prog rock, but Tool has always been a pretty good balance between prog, metal, and alternative. It seems like they tried to drop some of the metal sound on this album, but failed to significantly improve on the prog elements. What they did deliver in that area is a bunch of minute and a half to 3 minute long "intro songs", that are synth heavy trippy interludes that go nowhere. Other than that, Fear Innoculum sounds a lot like a muted version of Lateralus. For fuck's sake, there is even one 12 minute long song that basically repeats the riff from Schism for the entire first half of the song, without the vocal aggression that Schism has. So, they took schism, extended it to be twice as long, and made it a worse song by replacing the vocals.

I better stop now, before it begins to sound like I am a Tool hater. I love Tool, and was really looking forward to this album, but there is very little here that I feel compelled to continue to listen to.

Do you think Tool will be listened to by future generations like Led Zeppellin is?

Do you think Tool will be listened to by future generations like Led Zeppellin is?

Not like Led Zepellin is, no. I don't think Tool are as crucial to an entire genre of music like LZ was. I think they will still be listened to and appreciated, though.

So, I apparently don't come around here that often anymore. Anyway, here is a belated post to say that, in my view, this album was worth the wait. I didn't grow tired of the airplay the title track got as much as I just wanted to hear some of the other tracks before I finally picked up the album for myself. I was ecstatic when my favorite local radio station started playing Pneuma (in it's entirety, because this is not commercial radio)! Not a bad track on it and to me, it's something when a 10+ minute long song seems to be over too quickly.

Shake, enthusiastic member of the Tool army

Back
Top Bottom