• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

NewsGuard

poster

Basic Beliefs
none
Is anyone here using this app? NewsGuard touts itself as wanting to more or less be the arbiter of what's fake news and what reliably genuine through staff instead of newer technologies.

NewsGuard's founders, Steven Brill, and Gordon Crovitz are somewhat controversial with Crovitz more so than Brill. Both have a background in journalism.

The investors seem benign enough I suppose, however, the advisors are definitely controversial, being a list of neocons or neoliberal, whichever label one prefers.

All the information I've listed can be found from the link provided.

Criticism.

What do you think about this sort of thing?

Last edited:
I suspect it's an attempt to provide a counter to all the fact checkers that keep exposing lies. I also don't like that I don't see anything on their site to review a listing of how it rates things. I'm going to try it, though, and see what sort of ratings it gives.

Edit: It's got a whole slew of 1-star ratings that appear to be mostly from those who follow Trump's opinion of the news which is a point in it's favor.

These are just the latest debacles as reporters eager to demonstrate their fealty to the U.S.-centralized empire fall all over themselves to report any story that makes Russia look bad without practicing due diligence. The only voices who have been questioning the establishment Russia narrative that is being fed to mass media outlets by secretive government agencies have been those which the mass media refuses to platform. Alternative media outlets are the only major platforms for dissent from the authorized narratives of the plutocrat-owned political/media class.

Imagine, then, how disastrous it would be if these last strongholds of skepticism and holding power to account were removed from the media landscape. Well, that’s exactly what a shady organization called NewsGuard is trying to do, with some success already.

A report by journalist Whitney Webb for MintPress News details how NewsGuard is working to hide and demonetize alternative media outlets like MintPress, marketing itself directly to tech companies, social media platforms, libraries and schools. NewsGuard is led by some of the most virulently pro-imperialist individuals in America, and its agenda to shore up narrative control for the ruling power establishment is clear.

https://consortiumnews.com/2019/01/18/narrative-control-firm-targeting-alternative-media/

Back
Top Bottom