• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Nice inside look at inner workings of the Islamic State (documentary) - what should Western response be, if any?

Axulus

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Right leaning skeptic
Fascinating documentary about the inner workings of the Islamic State - religious theocracy at its worst:

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUjHb4C7b94[/YOUTUBE]

Should the West leave these thugs alone to expand and consolidate their power, or should we strategically fight against the group directly (via airstrikes and other military support) and indirectly (arming and providing intelligence and training to groups who oppose)?

One of the major reasons ISIS could quickly attack and push the Peshmerga back is that they used the captured and abandoned US arms from the Iraqi army. Once we used airstrikes to nullify that weaponry, the Peshmerga could repel ISIS. Seems to me that is an argument about being very careful who we arm.

One of the major reasons ISIS could quickly attack and push the Peshmerga back is that they used the captured and abandoned US arms from the Iraqi army. Once we used airstrikes to nullify that weaponry, the Peshmerga could repel ISIS. Seems to me that is an argument about being very careful who we arm.

Good point - I also believe Iran, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Egypt have sufficient interest in keeping IS contained, so it's unlikely IS will be able to spread very far. Once again, our past meddling backfires in a significant way (not to mention the human toll its taken).

Yup. We have had this idiotic notion of holding Iraq together.

Yes, letting it split in three would upset a lot of countries that are trying to hold on to pieces that never should have been made part of the country in the first place but would that actually be a bad thing? The would would be a better place if a bunch of artificial countries would break apart where they were pasted together long ago.

Yes, letting it split in three would upset a lot of countries that are trying to hold on to pieces that never should have been made part of the country in the first place but would that actually be a bad thing? The would would be a better place if a bunch of artificial countries would break apart where they were pasted together long ago.

Bulding countries on ethnical groups is a very bad idea.

Watched the whole video, thanks for the link. It is an interesting window into the psychology of these people.

Back
Top Bottom