• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Note to self

Underseer

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheism, resistentialism
Post recent mistakes you need to remind yourself of.

For me: when making enchiladas or lasagna or the like, don't forget to put a thin layer of sauce on the bottom so that the tortilla/pasta sheets do not stick to the bottom of the pan.

The creamy enchiladas turned out good otherwise.

Ravioli... when making ravioli from scratch, with a stamp, I started adding flours to the wax paper later... and the first ones got stuck to the wax paper. The first raviolis began tearing when trying to get them off. I was not pleased... and my dad wanted me to calm down and I tried to explain that making raviolis from scratch is labor intensive and losing 1/5 of them was very legitimately worth cursing over.

Yeah... anything you bake, put pasta sauce on the surface!

I otherwise rarely make mistakes in the kitchen, as I rarely go by memory (either it is to taste or in the recipe and my written mods). I once forgot flour in a coffee cake. Yeah... flour. And baking soda in a banana bread (turn banana cake). The later was fine, the flourless coffee cake... I'm still not certain how I messed that up. Added only one stick of butter to a cookie recipe (needed 2), however, that was when I learned that subbing an egg for a stick of butter makes the cookies more cakey, so umm... yeah, I meant to do that.

Ravioli... when making ravioli from scratch, with a stamp, I started adding flours to the wax paper later... and the first ones got stuck to the wax paper. The first raviolis began tearing when trying to get them off. I was not pleased... and my dad wanted me to calm down and I tried to explain that making raviolis from scratch is labor intensive and losing 1/5 of them was very legitimately worth cursing over.

I otherwise rarely make mistakes in the kitchen, as I rarely go by memory (either it is to taste or in the recipe and my written mods). I once forgot flour in a coffee cake. Yeah... flour. And baking soda in a banana bread (turn banana cake). The later was fine, the flourless coffee cake... I'm still not certain how I messed that up. Added only one stick of butter to a cookie recipe (needed 2), however, that was when I learned that subbing an egg for a stick of butter makes the cookies more cakey, so umm... yeah, I meant to do that.

Oh, I repeat mistakes frequently, which is why I wanted to start this thread.

For example, I love putting unsweetened chocolate in chili. It adds a vaguely mole-ish kick to it.

But the moment you add that chocolate, you need to stir the pot more frequently, or else you get a burned crust on the bottom of the pot that ruins the flavor. I always forget to stir more frequently, so I really should stop putting unsweetened chocolate in my chili, but unfortunately I have a memory like a sieve.

For example, I love putting unsweetened chocolate in chili. It adds a vaguely mole-ish kick to it.

But the moment you add that chocolate, you need to stir the pot more frequently, or else you get a burned crust on the bottom of the pot that ruins the flavor. I always forget to stir more frequently, so I really should stop putting unsweetened chocolate in my chili, but unfortunately I have a memory like a sieve.
Use cocoa powder instead?

Also, I’ve never made a beschemel (sp) sauce without burning it.

Use cocoa powder instead?

Also, I’ve never made a beschemel (sp) sauce without burning it.

Sacrilege!

I'll try that.

Back
Top Bottom