• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

NOVA Gravity Waves

steve_bank

Diabetic retinopathy and poor eyesight. Typos ...
Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
Anyone see the NOVA on black holes and gravity waves? One of the best episodes.

Anyone see the NOVA on black holes and gravity waves? One of the best episodes.

Yeah, very well done. The serendipity in catching the first one using the 2 LIGO's when one was running diagnostics just 40 minutes earlier but the engineers decided to quit for the night and so put it back on line. Apparently these collisions happen quite frequently in our galaxy. Imagine 2 black holes more than 10 solar masses each circling each other at 100 rpm!

Serendipity has always been part of it, as Burke pointed out in Connections. The series should be online.

... Apparently these collisions happen quite frequently in our galaxy. Imagine 2 black holes more than 10 solar masses each circling each other at 100 rpm!
Our galaxy? None of the events that we've observed so far can plausibly be attributed to a source in our Galaxy. All of them fit inspiral models fairly well, and those models imply a distance much greater than the size of our Galaxy. There is additional support for such a great distance with the observation of additional emissions from the only neutron-star merger observed so far.

... Apparently these collisions happen quite frequently in our galaxy. Imagine 2 black holes more than 10 solar masses each circling each other at 100 rpm!
Our galaxy? None of the events that we've observed so far can plausibly be attributed to a source in our Galaxy. All of them fit inspiral models fairly well, and those models imply a distance much greater than the size of our Galaxy. There is additional support for such a great distance with the observation of additional emissions from the only neutron-star merger observed so far.

Oops! My bad. Good catch. I need to watch it again.

Serendipity has always been part of it, as Burke pointed out in Connections. The series should be online.

Connections was a fantastic series!

There were three series. All were excellent.

All are available online, (sporadically on YouTube, they seem to keep being taken down there).

S1 Ep1 is here: https://archive.org/details/james-burke-connections_s01e01

Oh, that's right! It's been a long time since I've seen them, so I'd forgotten. Good to know they're still out there (even if sporadically). I DVR'd the NOVA episode. Also exciting to hear they're going to do another season of Cosmos!

Back
Top Bottom