• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Obama's Foreign Policy Legacy - A Delusional Failure

maxparrish

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Libertarian-Conservative, Agnostic.
With slightly more than a year left in office, Barack Obama is leaving his foreign policy legacy of failure . The rise and terrorist successes of ISIS, and the growing Russian-Iran hegemony over the mid-east are merely the last year of "capstones" of failure, dating back to his (and Hillary's) proclamation they would "reset" with Russia.

The list of numbskullery of delusion, failures, and intentional surrender is shocking. It began in 2009, with Obama-Hillary's touted "reset". Obama appealed to Putin's "better nature" by scrapping the Western missile-defense system that the Poles and the Czech Republic had desired and agreed to. And the "reward" thereafter has been Putin's support of Assad, support of Iran's nuclear ambitions, the Russian Crimea invasion, and Putin's creation of a blood-letting insurgent war against the Ukraine.

Obama's record in the Mid-East has been particularly hapless: "Leading from behind" in the "model intervention" of Libya (establishing a terrorist base), pushing out Mubarik and destabilizing Egypt into the hands of the Muslim brotherhood , and the refusal to arm and assist the more moderate Syrian rebels before ISIS even existed. To that list one can add the premature withdrawal of troops in Iraq, the rise of "jay-vee" ISIS, the meek mid-east apology tour, the failure to support the democratic uprising in Iran (the Green Revolution), failure to give serious arms support of the Ukraine, and the pushing of a badly flawed Iran nuclear deal that seems to be heading into in a mid-east nuclear arms race.

In the wake of the Paris attack, it has become increasingly clear that Obama has become delusional, and unlike Jimmy Carter, stubbornly unable to admit his world view was flawed. After Obama's Turkish press conference (wherein he at first, being tone deaf to events, discussed climate change) both MSM reporters and some Democratic politicians were incredulous that he was sticking by a failing policy, and steeped in delusion. They are now wondering "what the hell is wrong with their President?".

The source of Obama's failure is rooted in his mish-mash of old "progressive" biases, his failure to adopt or develop a framework of principles, and his near pathological narcissism immune to outside criticism.

His lack of framework is the most perplexing. Many of those in political science are familiar with different foreign policy doctrines, the goals which dictate management. Some are internationalists, others isolationists, yet other interventionists. However, Obama is an "Obama-ist", which is (charitably) setting priorities by headlines, impulses, and shifting commitments that Obama has no intention of keeping.

His incoherence is perplexing to all but himself. Red lines in Syria are announced...and ignored. Warnings are issued over the Ukraine, without any credibility (or retaliation on Putin when ignored). When confronted by seeming contradictions he twists and snakes, parsing terms. He believes moral lectures on 'the side of history', hashtag offensives and dodging the term "radical islam" is an effective strategy.

Obama is a President without strategic vision or goals - he is merely a risk-averse bad tactician. And today he stubbornly clings to a losing and disastrous ISIS policy.

With slightly more than a year left in office, Barack Obama is leaving his foreign policy legacy of failure . The rise and terrorist successes of ISIS,

ISIS arose from the ashes of Bush's Iraq policy.

and the growing Russian-Iran hegemony over the mid-east are merely the last year of "capstones" of failure, dating back to his (and Hillary's) proclamation they would "reset" with Russia.

As long as the oil flows who the fuck cares who has "hegemony" over the middle east?

Well deaths in the US due to terrorism are sharply lower than his predecessor. Low bar, yeah, but credit due.

Humpty Bushy smashed Iraq and blew up the Middle east.

And all the Kings horseman and Obama could not put it back together again.

No 9/11 on Obama's watch. Isis resulted from Bush's policies creating a disaster in Iraq. Obama got Osama Bin laden where as Bush just abandoned that effort. Did you want him to pour ground troops into the area? Go to hot war with Russia? Do you really think things would have been much different with Romney

Obama is quite the buffoon when it comes to foreign affairs.

Yeah, he's had almost 8 years and hasn't even managed to get us into even one major land offensive yet. Even that dummy Bush managed to get us into two.

Obama did escalate the terrorist drone campaign far beyond anything Bush did.

I view Obama like he's the Democrat's version of GWB. An incompetent who inexplicably is allowed to fail upward. If only ISIS would threaten golf courses, then he might grow a spine.

Quite a mish mash of snivels…Though I do have to agree that Pres. Obama’s actions towards Libya and Syria were a disaster, though I consider cause and affect far different. The Iraqi mess is largely a result of the foibles of the Bush administration and their incompetence. The train tracks for our exit from dominating Iraq was about 98% in place by the time Obama took office. Americans and Congress didn’t want boots on the ground in Libya after the Shrub ME disastrous and feckless occupations, and the Repugs were most certainly pushing for decapitating Gaddafi along with much of the EU. So that anarchy has lots of fathers.

It seems that far too many countries wanted to stick their dick into Syria. And McCain and company were again pushing hard to “do something”, violent of course. Obama’s failure was to listen to the beltway neocon fools and the CIA leadership. The only thing he could have done there was to tell the Sunni dickhead kings and Turkey to bugger off and leave Assad alone. This more than anything would have retarded the ISIS Frankenstein birth. In Iran we finally did the right thing and left them to their own devices. The Ukraine situation was and is unwinnable in the western sense any more than we can chart a new history for Tibet.

Yeah, Obama has not been that impressive, but as Jimmy has already said the previous occupier of his seat pushed the bar down pretty dang low… The first smart thing he could have done as President would have been to decline the peace prize.

I view Obama like he's the Democrat's version of GWB.
Moore-Coulter. Seriously?! I mean fucking seriously man?!
An incompetent who inexplicably is allowed to fail upward. If only ISIS would threaten golf courses, then he might grow a spine.
The intellectual level of the two men are not comparable. Nor are their foreign policies. Obama has tried to rebuild the bridges W burnt and work with consensus. Some people seem frustrated that Obama can't magically solve problems by waving a wand.

I view Obama like he's the Democrat's version of GWB. An incompetent who inexplicably is allowed to fail upward. If only ISIS would threaten golf courses, then he might grow a spine.

Obama golf jokes are the best!

- - - Updated - - -

Some people seem frustrated that Obama can't magically solve problems by waving a wand his dick.

fixt that for you buddy! :hug:

Why hasn't Obama solved Syria? Who the fuck would we put in charge in Syria? How would they keep power? How many more fucking years of insurgency do we need?

Why hasn't Obama solved the Ukraine issue? We aren't going to fucking war with Russia!

Why didn't Obama support Iran when they had a couple pro-freedom marches? Yeah... because the Iranians want to hear how much we want to support them.

The attack in Paris? Notice how no WMDs were part of it? Remember the deal with Russia to get rid of the Syrian WMDs? Anyone touting that yet?
Obama golf jokes are the best!
Well, they are level with the teleprompter jokes.

What ME policies in the last 40 years were actually good ideas? While I agree that in some ways Obama's administration has had a very hard time in the ME, I have yet to hear what could be done differently that would result in less hate towards the US. To put it plainly, ever since deposing the democracy in Iran and making a clusterfuck out of Iraq, we're going to be deep in the shit for a long, long time. Add Israel to the mix and propping up countries just as bad as our enemies (Hi Saudi Arabia, the source of most of the extremist philosophy), and we aren't going to see the end of Paris-like attacks in our lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom