• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Oklahoma set to outlaw abortion

credoconsolans

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
neopagan leaning toward moral relativism
How is it that in one country we can have this happen and New York City fine business owners $250,000 for not using pronouns like ze/hir?

Can anyone be censured for passing legislation so blatantly against the law?
This is why you hold your nose and vote for Hillary.

The Supreme Court vacancy is the biggest issue of this campaign.
Technically, I don't see how this could be constitutional, unless they reverse Roe v Wade. That'd be a huge step. Right now, the alternative "ban abortion without actually banning it" plan is working a lot smoother.

Not just the current vacancy, but at least one, probably two, and maybe 3 more vacancies are very likely to occur within the next 8 years, with all 3 being current "liberal" (aka, not extreme right wing) justices. The next president (and more importantly whoever their party is) will appoint at least 2 and up to 4 SCOTUS justices. A GOP victory could very easily mean a reversal of Roe V. Wade, and will definitely mean a lifetime of SCOTUS decisions on almost every front that are in opposition to the values that Bernie supporters and even most true independents/libertarians claim to hold.
Unless you are a theocratic, racist, homophobe (aka part of the GOP base), you're engaging in naive and childish all or nothing politics if you do not vote for whoever the Dems put up against whoever the GOP puts up. The individuals matter much less than which party will control these nominations. Oh, and while you are at it, vote against every GOP candidate for every national office. There too, the individual's matter far less than which party has majority control.

Technically, I don't see how this could be constitutional, unless they reverse Roe v Wade. That'd be a huge step. Right now, the alternative "ban abortion without actually banning it" plan is working a lot smoother.

If Trump wins, they will overturn Roe v Wade. Also, they will be sure to uphold the laws that defacto ban abortion for the poor, which would likely get struck down by a SCOTUS with Clinton appointees to fill the current and certain 1-3 upcoming vacancies.

Yeah, it's going to be struck down by the first sane judge to review it.

I really wish there was a crime "acting unconstitutionally under color of office." Unfortunately, there is not.

Yeah, it's going to be struck down by the first sane judge to review it.

But apparently the bill author wants to fight it until Roe vs. Wade is overturned:

Tulsa World said:
Dahm said it is possible that if a suit is filed, it could go all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade, the court decision legalizing abortion.

I'm sure they are hoping it makes its way back to the supreme court and that Roe v Wade is overturned. It's definitely one of the goals of the anti-abortion movement.

Not just the current vacancy, but at least one, probably two, and maybe 3 more vacancies are very likely to occur within the next 8 years, with all 3 being current "liberal" (aka, not extreme right wing) justices. The next president (and more importantly whoever their party is) will appoint at least 2 and up to 4 SCOTUS justices. A GOP victory could very easily mean a reversal of Roe V. Wade, and will definitely mean a lifetime of SCOTUS decisions on almost every front that are in opposition to the values that Bernie supporters and even most true independents/libertarians claim to hold.
Unless you are a theocratic, racist, homophobe (aka part of the GOP base), you're engaging in naive and childish all or nothing politics if you do not vote for whoever the Dems put up against whoever the GOP puts up. The individuals matter much less than which party will control these nominations. Oh, and while you are at it, vote against every GOP candidate for every national office. There too, the individual's matter far less than which party has majority control.
This is just frightening. I wonder what our country is going to look like when my girls are older.

This is just frightening. I wonder what our country is going to look like when my girls are older.

I'm childless, but what our country could be like in just 10 years and the remainder of my own life is frightening enough that I've been certain for years that I would be voting for the Dem nominee in 2016, no matter who either party put forth. Hillary's stepfordesque lack of authenticity is nauseating, and the childish unseasoned naivete of Bernie's unworkable proposal's make them both far from the ideal leader our population of over 300 million should be able to produce. But I'm sure that Otto Wels (who came in second to Hitler in Germany's 1933 election) had plenty of unlikable and far from ideal qualities too, yet decent Germans probably held their nose and voted for him.

This may be the start of the same shit that the Republicans/Tea Party have pulled with Obamacare. Keep introducing hopeless legislation in order to make a statement to their religious base that they're working hard for them. Now these state yokels can tell their constituents come this fall that they tried to pass a bill that outlawed the killin of yung'uns 'fore they'uz borned. They'll get more than a fair share of votes just from that.

And I wonder if they dislike the governor because they forced her to veto this thing. Or maybe she's reached the end of a term and the next dipshit running can squeal about how wouldn't have vetoed the bill/God/Jesus etc.

Back
Top Bottom