• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Owner of Texas restaurant chain pulls ‘hundreds of thousands of dollars’ of business out of Maine to protest Collins’ vote

phands

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Hardcore Atheist
Collins deserves to be jobless....maybe this is a first step.....

Response to the decision by Maine Republican Susan Collins to cast her vote to confirm newly-seated Associate Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh is affecting the senator’s constituents as calls for a boycott of her home state grow. While well over $3.5 million has been raised to fund Collins’ as yet unknown 2020 opponent, activists are hoping to make an immediate impact on her future fortunes by hitting the state in the pocketbook.

According to the local Press Herald, political commentator and radio personality John Fugelsang got the boycott rolling with a tweet to his 413,000 followers saying, “Dear Susan Collins — I really struggled with this but my tourist $ just voted against ever visiting Maine while you remain in office.”

The Press Herald reports that Fugelsang’s declaration has struck a chord with his followers who are following suit, including the owner of a Texas restaurant chain who said he is moving his seafood orders to neighboring New England states.

According to John Tesar, who owns six locations in Texas, with plans to open a seafood restaurant in Laguna Beach, California, he is angry and taking his business elsewhere.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/10/ow...-dollars-business-maine-protest-collins-vote/

Wow, what an angry mob. But have no fear, Mainers, I'm sure tens of thousands of SCROTUS supporters will step up, visit your state, and spend all that trickled-down cash that's burning a hole in their pockets.

While I applaud taking a stand against this administration, singling out a single senator out of the 51 is pretty idiotic, and nothing but theater.

It's one of the things that annoyed me about this process, and so many prior to this. The few senators or representatives that are 'swing' votes get so much attention, and do much to bring it on themselves. Everyone mostly ignores the deplorables that are solidly on team trumpster fire, and never were in doubt no matter how much shit came to light.

Can they realistically boycott the states of the 51? Maybe, but I suspect that would be harder, as there are probably only a few states with 2 Dem senators. (I could google it, but it's not really the point here).

While I applaud taking a stand against this administration, singling out a single senator out of the 51 is pretty idiotic, and nothing but theater.

It's one of the things that annoyed me about this process, and so many prior to this. The few senators or representatives that are 'swing' votes get so much attention, and do much to bring it on themselves. Everyone mostly ignores the deplorables that are solidly on team trumpster fire, and never were in doubt no matter how much shit came to light.

Can they realistically boycott the states of the 51? Maybe, but I suspect that would be harder, as there are probably only a few states with 2 Dem senators. (I could google it, but it's not really the point here).

I don't find it idiotic at all. These few (Collins & Flake mainly) gave everyone the song and dance about considering the evidence and Kavanaugh's suitability, when they were really just grandstanding and gaming both sides. They deserve what they get. And in the case of Collins, she's a prime target to flip a seat, so going after her early and often is perfectly logical.

So why aren't they pulling out of South Carolina or AZ - Lindsey Graham's and Flakes states or any of the other male repugnents that voted yes. Why are the women politicians the ones that have to pay the price?

So why aren't they pulling out of South Carolina or AZ - Lindsey Graham's and Flakes states or any of the other male repugnents that voted yes. Why are the women politicians the ones that have to pay the price?
Yeah. I was detecting a hint of gender discrimination in this too. I'm willing to be shown wrong, and in Flake's case, it wouldn't matter, since he's leaving office anyway.

It wouldn't even move the needle in most states. And Flake isn't running. That leaves Collins, who seemed to enjoy every minute in the spotlight, and not for the first time. Seriously, gender discrimination?

I heard those Arizona lobsters ain't particularly juicy.

So why aren't they pulling out of South Carolina or AZ
Seafood in Arizona is notoriously hard to come by.
Lindsey Graham's and Flakes states or any of the other male repugnents that voted yes. Why are the women politicians the ones that have to pay the price?
This is true, otherwise. Luckily, seafood is generally a big deal along blue states.

Everyone mostly ignores the deplorables that are solidly on team trumpster fire
That is one thing Hillary and the Democrats have learned the hard way. I think you can pretty much take to the bank in the future too. NO politician will ever ignore the deplorables again. Never again.

Both Texas senators voted to confirm, right?

Yes. And Senator John Cornyn is the GOP Senate whip. He is in charge of marshalling support for Mitch McConnell's programs, cajoling or threatening any reluctant Senators that don't want to toe the line. He bears more responsibility than just voting the party line. Anything bad coming out of the GOP Senators happens because he makes it all happen.

Collins is one of only a couple of GOP senators who supports abortion rights and says she doesn't want Roe v. Wade overturned. Most other GOP senators want to get rid of Roe v. Wade, so in a sense their overlooking Kavanaugh's inconsistencies, evasions, and lies is less of a betrayal. They trust that he is also lying about his position that Roe v. Wade is "safe" because it's established law--and they're right.

The reason Collins is getting the brunt of the outrage at this point is because she voted yes for Kavanaugh, supposedly after he privately assured her that he wouldn't go after Roe v. Wade. I doubt she believed him; she just didn't want her party to go after her. Once SCOTUS gets rid of Roe, the anti-Collins reactions will escalate. It's too late to make a difference, but I hope she'll never hold office again.

She is getting criticized because she sold out. Elect a far right nutbag and you get a far right nutbag, you don't have a complaint. Elect a sellout and you have a complaint.

Back
Top Bottom