• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Oxford researchers: 8.2% of our DNA is ‘functional’

Perspicuo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Empiricist, ergo agnostic
University of Oxford: 8.2% of our DNA is ‘functional’
http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2014-07-25...c.uk/news/2014-07-25-82-our-dna-‘functional’#

The figure of 8.2% is very different from one given in 2012, when some scientists involved in the ENCODE (Encyclopedia of DNA Elements) project stated that 80% of our genome has some biochemical function.

That claim has been controversial, with many in the field arguing that the biochemical definition of 'function' was too broad – that just because an activity on DNA occurs, it does not necessarily have a consequence; for functionality you need to demonstrate that an activity matters.

To reach their figure, the Oxford University group took advantage of the ability of evolution to discern which activities matter and which do not. They identified [...]

Reminded me long and heated discussion we had about genetic diversity and intelligence in different races.
I am glad biologists finally got a clue and threw out this retarded notion that Africans are vastly more genetically diverse than Europeans.

They define functional DNA as one which was selected for or against by evolution.
So this is 8%, the rest 92 have no significance from evolutionary selection point of view.

But I remember it was determined that DNA repeats (clearly junk DNA) affect the shape of your face, but since evolution decided not to care about that...

Back
Top Bottom