• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Pantheism and panpsychism

What you are putting forth is a modern mix of traditional modes of beliefs.

There is really nothing new, just renaming and recombining. You are arguing and rationalizing as to the theists on the forum.

As a generalization an anthropomorphism is attributing human qualities to the aspects of reality. The bain cres mind, the brain is physcal, therefore physical realty is censorious.

Pre science it was natural logical progression, explain reality as a reflection of us humans. I believe Aristotle was an animist. Gods are reflections of humans.

No, no spirits. No emotions, no intentions. I'm I'll side with Roger Penroses theory, which I think is the best formulated one, then just a little proto consciousness for every collapse of the wave function.
Consciousness is built when enough of these are quantumly entangled. Like billions-trillions, as in the microtubulars of the brain.

So as you probably understand, a mountain wouldn't be quantumly entangled with itself in this way. That's a huge difference between this and some animism religion, where spirits possess every rock. Brains creates consciousness, but using proto conscious building blocks that are fundamental to physics...

The consciousness of an individual is like a fingerprint.

It is an individual unique consciousness created by unique experiences using a unique set of genetic capacities.

Our consciousness is created by our experiences. Without the experience of language we would not have language.

There is no such thing as a general consciousness.

No such thing exists.

Only individual unique consciousnesses.

And these arise only because of genetic information utilized within a living organism and experience.

I wouldn't be so sure if I was you. Did you ever conduct an experiment where you quantum entangled half of your brain with someone elses?
What would that feel from the subjective point of view to one or the other?

Until someone starts doing experiments with brains and quantum entanglements to see what happens with consciousness, don't claim you know anything like it was a fact. No one knows yet.

Do you ever listen to George Nory on the radio show Coast To Coast AM? They talk about this kind of pseudo science all tye time.

Google coast to coast am and go to their web site. You will find plenty of support for your ideas. You can even call in and talk to George when he is on the air.

No, no spirits. No emotions, no intentions. I'm I'll side with Roger Penroses theory, which I think is the best formulated one, then just a little proto consciousness for every collapse of the wave function.
Consciousness is built when enough of these are quantumly entangled. Like billions-trillions, as in the microtubulars of the brain.

So as you probably understand, a mountain wouldn't be quantumly entangled with itself in this way. That's a huge difference between this and some animism religion, where spirits possess every rock. Brains creates consciousness, but using proto conscious building blocks that are fundamental to physics...

I wouldn't be so sure if I was you. Did you ever conduct an experiment where you quantum entangled half of your brain with someone elses?
What would that feel from the subjective point of view to one or the other?

Until someone starts doing experiments with brains and quantum entanglements to see what happens with consciousness, don't claim you know anything like it was a fact. No one knows yet.

What do you think you would be if you were deprived of all experience?

Your mind was created by experience.

It did not exist at birth.

There is no universal consciousness.

There is your consciousness that is not my consciousness.

As far as we can observe there are only evolved animals that have consciousnesses.

The rocks have not somehow developed a consciousness. They have nothing they could do with one.

I'm sorry, you're just repeating yourself. You didn't adress what I asked you about that hypothetical experiment.

Do you ever listen to George Nory on the radio show Coast To Coast AM? They talk about this kind of pseudo science all tye time.

Google coast to coast am and go to their web site. You will find plenty of support for your ideas. You can even call in and talk to George when he is on the air.

Pseudoscience... is this pseudoscience in your mind? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGbgDf4HCHU

I don't watch any of these kinds of videos, there is no point.

For me pseudo science is a prerceptionn based on knowledge of sceince and applying science for 30 yeras.

If nothing else true science is skeptical. Initially Einstein had a hard time selling Relativity, now it is mainstream.

On Coast To Coast AM I listened to a wman claim that putting mushrooms in sunlight absorbed vitamin D from the radiation. Clearly pseudo science.

String Theory at first was considered pretty far out, some scientists called it philosophy, but not pseudo science. String Therry is based on sound math and principles.

QM is well established and is used every day in technology. There is a lot of pseudoscience based on interpretation of QM.

Without a grounding in science you are at the mercy of others peddling pseudoscience.

For me sometimes it is clearly pseudoscience, sometimes I can not tell, once and a while I have been fooled until I did reseach on a topic.

People with a scince dgree who identify as a scientist can and do peddle pseudoscience based on the credential of a dehree. Authority from credentials, I have a PHD in science so what I say is true. Not all scientists are 'scientists'.

I don't watch any of these kinds of videos, there is no point.

For me pseudo science is a prerceptionn based on knowledge of sceince and applying science for 30 yeras.

If nothing else true science is skeptical. Initially Einstein had a hard time selling Relativity, now it is mainstream.

On Coast To Coast AM I listened to a wman claim that putting mushrooms in sunlight absorbed vitamin D from the radiation. Clearly pseudo science.

String Theory at first was considered pretty far out, some scientists called it philosophy, but not pseudo science. String Therry is based on sound math and principles.

QM is well established and is used every day in technology. There is a lot of pseudoscience based on interpretation of QM.

Without a grounding in science you are at the mercy of others peddling pseudoscience.

For me sometimes it is clearly pseudoscience, sometimes I can not tell, once and a while I have been fooled until I did reseach on a topic.

People with a scince dgree who identify as a scientist can and do peddle pseudoscience based on the credential of a dehree. Authority from credentials, I have a PHD in science so what I say is true. Not all scientists are 'scientists'.

Ok well, if you don't want to watch then you don't know what you're criticizing. To me THAT seems pointless.
One of the persons behind the hypothesis is Roger Penrose, he won the nobel prize in physics recently. All I'm saying is that they are putting forward a very interesting hypothesis. If you wanna call that pseudoscience, that's on you.
But that's also based on your ignorance. Because they've formulated possible experiments that could test the hypothesis.

Scince means different things to different people.

Academic science sits back and works out new ideas mathematically and experimentally. Particle physics and Astronomy.

Commercial applied science figures out how to make use of theory.

Popular science extrapolates on science, often presenting outlandish extrapolations like time travel. Not considered pseudo science, entertainment.

And lastly the ;new age'; science-mysticism that mixes modern science with traditional mysticism. Depak Chopra is a leading figure. A man with valid medical credentials who spins QM with mysticism and consciousness. He once claimed an earthquake was caused by his meditating. He has appeared in PBS shows. And of course Scientology, based on pseudo science and the E Meter. which just measures galvanic skin response.

I grew up in the 60s-70s and saw most of mystical mumbo jumbo. Books began appearing the 60s blending mystical and science. Mystical con scams le Divine Light Mission. Ekmkar.

For me I go by the science philopsosopher Popper who defined science as that which can be demonstrated. Anf by Kelvin who said centuries back if you can't quantify what you are saying with numbers you're knowledge is of a 'meager and unsatisfactory kind'.

That pretty much excludes the paranormal, at least so for. For example if someone could demonstrate telekinesis the exerted force could be measured.

If you are looking for some kind of validation from me it is not going to happen. Make up your own mind one way or the other.

Try Buddhism or any of the Indian traditions that teach reincarnation. I read several books on Tibetan Buddhism, heavy on the paranormal. Telepathy. A Tibetan saint Milarepa was said to have 'flown through the air with the speed of an arrow'. Like Jesus walking on water.

As t all the internet videos, thay all take the same form and formula. Your OP is typical. A common theme is trying to present a scientific bais for life after death and mind independent of brain.

I occupy myself learning new science and math,

I'm sorry, you're just repeating yourself. You didn't adress what I asked you about that hypothetical experiment.

You have not proposed any kind of real experiment. Not even a thought experiment.

Quantum entanglement is not consciousness and nobody can imagine what it would mean for something as large as a brain.

You might as well ask what it would feel like to flap your arms real fast and fly.

I repeat points that are logically valid.

We know why we as humans have consciousness.

We are evolved animals with billions of years of evolution in the past.

We use consciousness to survive.

It is a survival mechanism for animals.

Plants don't need it.

You have no valid reason anything else should have it.

Scince means different things to different people.

Academic science sits back and works out new ideas mathematically and experimentally. Particle physics and Astronomy.

Commercial applied science figures out how to make use of theory.

Popular science extrapolates on science, often presenting outlandish extrapolations like time travel. Not considered pseudo science, entertainment.

And lastly the ;new age'; science-mysticism that mixes modern science with traditional mysticism. Depak Chopra is a leading figure. A man with valid medical credentials who spins QM with mysticism and consciousness. He once claimed an earthquake was caused by his meditating. He has appeared in PBS shows. And of course Scientology, based on pseudo science and the E Meter. which just measures galvanic skin response.

I grew up in the 60s-70s and saw most of mystical mumbo jumbo. Books began appearing the 60s blending mystical and science. Mystical con scams le Divine Light Mission. Ekmkar.

For me I go by the science philopsosopher Popper who defined science as that which can be demonstrated. Anf by Kelvin who said centuries back if you can't quantify what you are saying with numbers you're knowledge is of a 'meager and unsatisfactory kind'.

That pretty much excludes the paranormal, at least so for. For example if someone could demonstrate telekinesis the exerted force could be measured.

If you are looking for some kind of validation from me it is not going to happen. Make up your own mind one way or the other.

Try Buddhism or any of the Indian traditions that teach reincarnation. I read several books on Tibetan Buddhism, heavy on the paranormal. Telepathy. A Tibetan saint Milarepa was said to have 'flown through the air with the speed of an arrow'. Like Jesus walking on water.

As t all the internet videos, thay all take the same form and formula. Your OP is typical. A common theme is trying to present a scientific bais for life after death and mind independent of brain.

I occupy myself learning new science and math,

At this point I have no idea what you think I think. I oppose Deepak Chopra all the way, I don't think he makes sense at all. What I've been clear with also, during this thread, is that I am agnostic about all of this. Coming from a materialistic atheistic background, playing with different ideas.

You have not proposed any kind of real experiment. Not even a thought experiment.

Quantum entanglement is not consciousness and nobody can imagine what it would mean for something as large as a brain.

You might as well ask what it would feel like to flap your arms real fast and fly.

I repeat points that are logically valid.

We know why we as humans have consciousness.

We are evolved animals with billions of years of evolution in the past.

We use consciousness to survive.

It is a survival mechanism for animals.

Plants don't need it.

You have no valid reason anything else should have it.

What you're still getting wrong is that I'm not talking about consciousness, I'm talking about proto consciousness. Yes, evolution created consciousness. But using what? Some kind of building block. Otherwise it's like saying evolution built arms and legs using vacuum. No, it used cells, consisting of atoms. For consciousness, neurons of course, but inside of those, if we're going with Roger Penroses theory, something proto conscious.

You have to be able to reduce consciousness all the way down to not conscious, in the same way as you can reduce something physical all the way down to nothing. What do you have left at the last step? For the physical object, maybe an atom. For consciousness, maybe some kind of proto conscious physical process.

I do not care what you think or believe.

I stated how I parse out science and pseudo science. The are who nnows how many videos are on the net.

I align gneraly with natyralism and free-thought.

Whatever exists by definition is natural, there can be no supernatural or paranormal. If ghosts exist and you see one then there is a causal link between your brain's perception and the ghost, even if we can not quantify it.

The requirement for science is to find a cooperative ghost to appear constantly in a lab. Or someone who can levitate. Or someone who can read minds. So far it has not happened. In the 80s the Transcendental Mediation people offered classes in levitation. A video shoed people on cushions trying to get off the ground, hilarious.

IMO the term parapsyhism is yet another fabricated -ism. Like Scientology or Theosophy.

Paranormal has been expressed n different cultural forms going back to ancient times.

I do not know today, parapsychology was a valid field in psychology. I would look a academic studies before I watched net videos. As to consciousness try cognitive psychology. There have been a number of modern experimental studies.

Ok well, you're way out of topic.

This isn't about the supernatural. This is about trying to understand how the laws of physics can lead to consciousness. What objective physical process or processes that leads to subjective experience.
So really this comes from naturalistic materialism.

This isn't about the supernatural. This is about trying to understand how the laws of physics can lead to consciousness. What objective physical process or processes that leads to subjective experience.

And you are unable to grasp the chronic point people make on the form, consciousnesses is biological. It is a function of our physical neuro-net brain, period. The only alternative to date is the supernatural.

The problem with metaphysics as a tool to describe physicals reality and perceptions is that it is hopelessly self referential and imprecise. It is like a dog chasing its tail.

Metaphor is better than metaphysics. Imagine an AI that becomes self aware and tries to deduce the nature of its consciousness, electronic circuits.

The AI asks other AIs, is this it? Am I just a collection of circuits and wires? Does consciousness exist indecent of the computer?

Physics oes not lead to consiouness, it describes and models the physical process of te brain. To date neuro science has not developed a compressive model of the brain, someday it will happen.

And you are unable to grasp the chronic point people make on the form, consciousnesses is biological. It is a function of our physical neuro-net brain, period. The only alternative to date is the supernatural.

The problem with metaphysics as a tool to describe physicals reality and perceptions is that it is hopelessly self referential and imprecise. It is like a dog chasing its tail.

Metaphor is better than metaphysics. Imagine an AI that becomes self aware and tries to deduce the nature of its consciousness, electronic circuits.

The AI asks other AIs, is this it? Am I just a collection of circuits and wires? Does consciousness exist indecent of the computer?

Physics oes not lead to consiouness, it describes and models the physical process of te brain. To date neuro science has not developed a compressive model of the brain, someday it will happen.

Of course I am able to grasp that. That's been my view all my life. That consciousness is created in the brain, and that without a brain, no consciousness exists.
Until now when I'm playing with the idea that there might be proto-consciousness outside of the brain. But remember that. I'm playing with the idea, it's not a belief or anything, it's not claiming it's the answer, it's asking the question. I think it's a necessary question.

One has to be able to ask, from a materialistic naturalistic point of view, what is the smallest physical system that has subjective experience?
Is there a proto-conscious building block for consciousness or not? That's a question that I arrive at from a materialistic naturalistic point of view.
I've been opposing supernaturalism and religion all my life, that's why I registered here.
But unfortunately many of the people here reminds me about "if you're a hammer everything looks like a nail".
If you're spending lots of time arguing against religious and supernatural believers, everything looks like supernatural beliefs.

You can't seem to grasp that it's possible to ask these questions from a materialistic naturalistic point of view.

I think if AI built from circuits and wires could have consciousness, it would be reasonable for it to ask, what is it about these circuits and wires that leads to consciousness?

That's also like saying, there's nothing physical about a leg, only biological. Sure, the leg is biological, they consist of cells. But ultimately, it consists of atoms.
I'm asking the same about consciousness. Sure, it has a biological function, but fundamentally, it's all physics. So what is it about the physics in the brain that leads to consciousness?

What you're still getting wrong is that I'm not talking about consciousness, I'm talking about proto consciousness.

It's not a real biological idea. It is just a word.

Consciousness arrives after a certain level of complexity in nervous systems arrives.

Evolution was the process that created the complexity.

And when there is consciousness there is a biological use for it.

What you're still getting wrong is that I'm not talking about consciousness, I'm talking about proto consciousness.

Consciousness arrives after a certain level of complexity in nervous systems arrives.

I know. It's quite a philosophical word at this point, but the future will tell. I've heard it from David Chalmers, Roger Penrose and Stuart Hameroff. A philosopher, a physicist, and a biologist/doctor.

"Consciousness arrives after a certain level of complexity"
How do you know that? What is this certain level of complexity?
So you say there's like a threshold of complexity? Is that a network of a certain number of neurons, or a single neuron?
I mean, if there needs to be a certain number of neurons, then there's some mathematical property of that network that would correspond to consciousness.
Some mathematical property in that complexity that isn't there anymore when you decrease the complexity.

Of course I am able to grasp that. That's been my view all my life. That consciousness is created in the brain, and that without a brain, no consciousness exists.
Until now when I'm playing with the idea that there might be proto-consciousness outside of the brain. But remember that. I'm playing with the idea, it's not a belief or anything, it's not claiming it's the answer, it's asking the question. I think it's a necessary question.

One has to be able to ask, from a materialistic naturalistic point of view, what is the smallest physical system that has subjective experience?
Is there a proto-conscious building block for consciousness or not? That's a question that I arrive at from a materialistic naturalistic point of view.
I've been opposing supernaturalism and religion all my life, that's why I registered here.
But unfortunately many of the people here reminds me about "if you're a hammer everything looks like a nail".
If you're spending lots of time arguing against religious and supernatural believers, everything looks like supernatural beliefs.

You can't seem to grasp that it's possible to ask these questions from a materialistic naturalistic point of view.

I think if AI built from circuits and wires could have consciousness, it would be reasonable for it to ask, what is it about these circuits and wires that leads to consciousness?

That's also like saying, there's nothing physical about a leg, only biological. Sure, the leg is biological, they consist of cells. But ultimately, it consists of atoms.
I'm asking the same about consciousness. Sure, it has a biological function, but fundamentally, it's all physics. So what is it about the physics in the brain that leads to consciousness?

You seem to be going around in cicles. Again the analogy to a computer.

What we know.

1. The sigmals in te brain are electrical.
2. The wirng of the brain forms a netwrk of logic.
3. Differt areas of the brain serve differt functions like speech.

Commerical neiral nets based on the bran have been around for a while. They are used for pattern recognition like video.

What consciousness 'is' in the way you frame it to me is not a valid question, especially considering that oiu invoke physics.

Consciousness is the logic of the brain analogous to an AI being the physical logic of the computer. Beyond that IMO is semantics and metaphysical gymnastics.

If you want to talk the physical basis of consciousness start with how neurons form logic functions and how they are interconnected. Plenty on the net.

I know. It's quite a philosophical word at this point

It's a word with no meaning and nothing in the world it has a correlation to.

I've heard it from David Chalmers, Roger Penrose and Stuart Hameroff.

And if those guys can't make anything from it I have my doubts others will.

"Consciousness arrives after a certain level of complexity"
How do you know that? What is this certain level of complexity?

I know because consciousness is a biological phenomena.

So you say there's like a threshold of complexity? Is that a network of a certain number of neurons, or a single neuron?

That is a real question about real things.

There might be a way to find an answer.

As opposed to points about imaginary things. Like proto-consciousness.

I mean, if there needs to be a certain number of neurons, then there's some mathematical property of that network that would correspond to consciousness.

No.

There are no mathematical properties in anything in the world.

There is human mathematics and abstractions of the world using it.

You seem to be going around in cicles. Again the analogy to a computer.

What we know.

1. The sigmals in te brain are electrical.
2. The wirng of the brain forms a netwrk of logic.
3. Differt areas of the brain serve differt functions like speech.

Commerical neiral nets based on the bran have been around for a while. They are used for pattern recognition like video.

What consciousness 'is' in the way you frame it to me is not a valid question, especially considering that oiu invoke physics.

Consciousness is the logic of the brain analogous to an AI being the physical logic of the computer. Beyond that IMO is semantics and metaphysical gymnastics.

If you want to talk the physical basis of consciousness start with how neurons form logic functions and how they are interconnected. Plenty on the net.

Ok, good thing you brought this up. Because then we are talking about different stuff when referring to consciousness.
You seem to refer to the easy problem of consciousness, how we function behaviorally, logically, etc. How the neural networks creates algorithms. That's easy, as you said, we are mimicking this in computers already. (I've been programming my own neural networks so I know)

But I'm referring to the hard problem of consciousness, how come there is a subjective point of view of a system like a brain.

It's a word with no meaning and nothing in the world it has a correlation to.

I've heard it from David Chalmers, Roger Penrose and Stuart Hameroff.

And if those guys can't make anything from it I have my doubts others will.

It sure has a meaning, whether it correlates to something real or not is unknown at this point.
You seem like a smart guy but when you claim to know stuff like this as facts, you don't come across as very scientific.
I don't claim proto consciousness exists, all I say is it shouldn't be ruled out, and is worth discussing. That to me is an open intellectually honest approach.
Then you respond by claiming it doesn't exist like it's a fact. Yet both you and me know science hasn't come far enough to make a claim either way. So don't pretend it has.

Who said those guys can't make anything from it?
They refer to proto-consciousness 13 times in their paper.
https://www.researchgate.net/public...the_universe_a_review_of_the_'ORCH_OR'_theory

Consciousness results from discrete physical events; such events have always existed in the universe as non-cognitive, proto-conscious events, these acting as part of precise physical laws not yet fully understood. Biology evolved a mechanism to orchestrate such events and to couple them to neuronal activity, resulting in meaningful, cognitive, conscious moments and thence also to causal control of behavior. These events are proposed specifically to be moments of quantum state reduction (intrinsic quantum “self-measurement”). Such events need not necessarily be taken as part of current theories of the laws of the universe, but should ultimately be scientifically describable. This is basically the type of view put forward, in very general terms, by the philosopher A.N. Whitehead [9,10] and also fleshed out in a scientific framework in the Penrose–Hameroff theory of ‘orchestrated objective reduction’ (‘Orch OR’ [11–16]). In the Orch OR theory, these conscious events are terminations of quantum computations in brain microtubules reducing by Diósi–Penrose ‘objective reduction’ (‘OR’), and having experiential qualities. In this view consciousness is an intrinsic feature of the action of the universe.

The Orch-OR scheme adopts DP as a physical proposal, but it goes further than this by attempting to relate this particular version of OR to the phenomenon of consciousness. Accordingly, the ‘choice’ involved in any quantum state-reduction process would be accompanied by a (miniscule) proto-element of experience, which we refer to as a moment of proto-consciousness, but we do not necessarily refer to this as actual consciousness for reasons to be described.

The idea is that consciousness is associated with this (gravitational) OR process, but (see Section 4.5)occurs significantly only when (1) the alternatives are part of some highly organized cognitive structure capable of information processing, so that OR occurs in an extremely orchestrated form, with vast numbers of microtubule acting coherently, in order that there is sufficient mass displacement overall, for the τ ≈¯h/EGcriterion to be satisfied. (2) Interaction with environment must be avoided long enough during the U process evolution so strictly orchestrated components of the superposition reach OR threshold without too much randomness, and reflect a significant non-computable influence. Only then does a recognizably conscious Orch OR event take place. On the other hand, we may consider that any individual occurrence of OR without orchestration would be a moment of random proto-consciousness lacking cognition and meaningful content. We shall be seeing orchestrated OR in more detail shortly, together with its particular relevance to microtubules. In any case, we recognize that the experiential elements of proto-consciousness would be intimately tied in with the most primitive Planck-level ingredients of space–time geometry, these presumed ‘ingredients’ being taken to be at the absurdly tiny level of 10−35m and 10−43s, a distance and a time some 20 orders of magnitude smaller than those of normal particle-physics scales and their most rapid processes, and they are smaller by far than biological scales and processes. These scales refer only to the normally extremely tiny differences in space–time geometry between different states in superposition, the separated states themselves being enormously larger. OR is deemed to take place when such tiny space–time differences reach the Planck level (roughly speaking). Owing to the extreme weakness of gravitational forces as compared with those of the chemical and electric forces of biology, the energy EG is liable to be far smaller than any energy that arises directly from biological processes.

In conventional views, the experiential qualities of conscious awareness are assumed to have emerged from com-plex neuronal computation at some point in evolution, whether recently in human brains, or at some earlier, but unspecified level of development. In these views, consciousness is an emergent property of complex computational activity. On the other hand, Orch OR follows the notion that OR events with primitive ‘experiential’ qualities have been occurring in the universe all along, in the reduction R of quantum superpositions to classical reality. Small super-positions lacking isolation would entangle directly with the random environment, rapidly reaching OR threshold byτ ≈¯h/EG, resulting in non-orchestrated OR events. Each such event would lack cognition or any non-computational influence, but would be associated with an undifferentiated ‘proto-conscious’ experience, one without information or meaning. Such undifferentiated experiences are taken, in the Orch OR scheme, to be irreducible, fundamental features of ‘Planck scale geometry’, perhaps ultimately having a physical role as important to basic physics as those of mass, spin or charge.

Section 1 described three possibilities regarding the origin and place of consciousness in the universe: (A) as an emergent property of complex brain neuronal computation, (B) as spiritual quality of the universe, distinct from purely physical actions, and (C) as composed of discrete ‘proto-conscious’ events acting in accordance with physical laws not yet fully understood. The Orch OR theory follows (C), and includes aspects of (A) and (B). Orch OR suggests consciousness consists of discrete moments, each an ‘orchestrated’ quantum-computational process terminated by the DP version of OR, an action rooted in quantum aspects of the fine structure of space–time geometry, this being coupled to brain neuronal processes via microtubules.

[...]

So far, this is just the original DP proposal. However Orch OR goes further than this, and puts forward the suggestion that each action of OR (taken to be in accordance with DP) is accompanied be a moment of proto-consciousness. These events would be thought of as the elemental constituents of ‘subjective experience’, or qualia, but the vast majority of such OR events act without being part of some coherent organized structure, so that the relevant material is normally totally dominated by random behavior in the entangled environment. Accordingly, there would normally be no significant experience associated with these ubiquitous proto-conscious events. Yet, these moments of proto-consciousness are taken to be the primitive ingredients of actual full-blown consciousness, when they are appropriately orchestrated together into a coherent whole.

Does this look like nothing? It sure looks like something to me. Doesn't look like any pseudoscientific Deepak woo woo to me, as some of the people here automatically thinks.
Here's the thing though, they manage to explain how memory works in the brain better than other theories/hypotheses as well.
So when your theory/hypothesis manages to explain other phenomena along the way, that's a pretty good indication there's something to it.

I know because consciousness is a biological phenomena.

That is a real question about real things.

There might be a way to find an answer.

Is one neuron a possible lowest complexity? Is the quantum computing nature of microtubulars a lowest possible complexity?

No.

There are no mathematical properties in anything in the world.

There is human mathematics and abstractions of the world using it.

That's another debate, where I would oppose you. When trying to understand the fundamental physics of the universe, one has to do it more and more with mathematics, up to a point where you can only understand it with mathematics. Which has led some physicists to think mathematics itself is fundamental to reality. Max Tegmark for example. Human mathematical language is not the same as mathematics. We discover mathematical objects, patterns, constants. Aliens will make the same discoveries, like PI, Fibonacci, pascals triangle, but with a different language. So it's like discovering a continent, with different kind of ships.

Does this look like nothing?

It looks like an undefined word.

You have given me places where the word is mentioned.

Nowhere is the concept made into something real or something that might be studied. It is not even something that can be discussed. It is found nowhere.

It is all a bunch of hand waving.

I don't buy it.

Protoconsciousness = Imaginary nothingness

In conventional views, the experiential qualities of conscious awareness are assumed to have emerged from com-plex neuronal computation at some point in evolution...

Also the conventional view is that consciousness arises randomly, like all biological traits, and only remains and evolves if it does something helpful for survival.

You have a mind for the same reason you have a spleen or a leg. Because it does something related to survival. Biological entities don't waste energy on things with no use.

As an a engineer I look at all things as systems through the window of thermodynamics.

The brain is a newtwrk of logc nodes, this is known.

The open mind mind argument is often used to make a case for pseudo science and wild speculations.

Theists make a claim for existnce of god with sopustcated reasoning and theolgy, and it can not be disporved.=, ay least by science.

From a science perspective ir t is ok to say I or we do not know, Today it is nt known how the consciousness 'works' in terms of a detailed model. To me the analogy is hardware and software. Hardware is our genetic programming, software is leared experience.

Theists and others try to make our biological functioning into something mysterious or mystical.

So, that is it for me.

Trying to describe physical reality in words is metaphysics and philosophy. Both always fall short because words are contextual.

What scnce trys to do is crete models. Artifical Intellegence is emulating aspects of human reasoning and perception in hardware and software. Artificial Consciousness would be emulating a functional human equivalent.

'What something 'is' is an impossible question. What has mening is a quntified decription of something.

What is a rock? A rock is a collection of atoms modeled in physics. What is consciousness? The result of chemical processes in the brain modeled by physics.

Consciousness is an ill defined contextual word impossible to nail down. To define it you have to use subjective perceptions of your 'consciousness' to define consciousness, self referential.

Does this look like nothing?

It looks like an undefined word.

You have given me places where the word is mentioned.

Nowhere is the concept made into something real or something that might be studied. It is not even something that can be discussed. It is found nowhere.

It is all a bunch of hand waving.

I don't buy it.

Protoconsciousness = Imaginary nothingness

In conventional views, the experiential qualities of conscious awareness are assumed to have emerged from com-plex neuronal computation at some point in evolution...

Also the conventional view is that consciousness arises randomly, like all biological traits, and only remains and evolves if it does something helpful for survival.

You have a mind for the same reason you have a spleen or a leg. Because it does something related to survival. Biological entities don't waste energy on things with no use.

In that case it sadly becomes clear you're not reading.

"Nowhere is the concept made into something real or something that might be studied. It is not even something that can be discussed. It is found nowhere."
WRONG. It's clearly proposed if you would read. "These [proto conscious] events are proposed specifically to be moments of quantum state reduction"

With some highly advanced future technology it might be possible to study it. Might be possible to conduct experiments where one would quantum entangle the electrons of a high number of electrons and see how it affects consciousness.
Maybe even connect it to two brains to study if consciousness starts to overlap. Which it probably does in the conjoined twins that shares a brain, if you remember.
They have also proposed an experiment with anesthesia that could test the theory, an experiment we can do today if I remember correctly.

So please if we're gonna have a discussion, don't ignore key points of my arguments.

As an a engineer I look at all things as systems through the window of thermodynamics.

The brain is a newtwrk of logc nodes, this is known.

The open mind mind argument is often used to make a case for pseudo science and wild speculations.

Theists make a claim for existnce of god with sopustcated reasoning and theolgy, and it can not be disporved.=, ay least by science.

From a science perspective ir t is ok to say I or we do not know, Today it is nt known how the consciousness 'works' in terms of a detailed model. To me the analogy is hardware and software. Hardware is our genetic programming, software is leared experience.

Theists and others try to make our biological functioning into something mysterious or mystical.

So, that is it for me.

Trying to describe physical reality in words is metaphysics and philosophy. Both always fall short because words are contextual.

What scnce trys to do is crete models. Artifical Intellegence is emulating aspects of human reasoning and perception in hardware and software. Artificial Consciousness would be emulating a functional human equivalent.

'What something 'is' is an impossible question. What has mening is a quntified decription of something.

What is a rock? A rock is a collection of atoms modeled in physics. What is consciousness? The result of chemical processes in the brain modeled by physics.

Consciousness is an ill defined contextual word impossible to nail down. To define it you have to use subjective perceptions of your 'consciousness' to define consciousness, self referential.

Pseudo science is a dead end. Wild speculations are not. Not at least in the case of hard problems. Take evolution of life for example.
Idea of "what if everything on earth are related and share a common ancestor", wasn't that a crazy wild speculation at the time?

The hardware-software analogy only works for behavior, not why there's something to be that particular "hardware" from that hardwares point of view.
Do you think computers has consciousness, or does it require more complex systems like brains?
The computer has a programmed behavior. Do you think when I turn on a computer, it suddenly has an inner experience following whatever electrical activity goes on in the hardware?

"What is a rock? A rock is a collection of atoms modeled in physics."
Well I think you need to be a little more specific. A star is also a collection of atoms modeled in physics.

"What is consciousness? The result of chemical processes in the brain modeled by physics."
That says absolutely absolutely nothing. Saying what it's a result of doesn't say what it is, what it consists of. What key parts of the chemical processes that gives rise to the consciousness. Is it the electromagnetic forces? The bloodflow? The combination? Something within the neurons? I mean, I hope you're not satisfied with "chemical processes".

It's like saying "a lightening is the result of a thunder storm". Says absolutely nothing. You'd have to be way more specific explaining the discharge and flow of electrons to explain what a lightening actually is.

https://talkfreethought.org/showthread.php?24619-NOVA-Secret-Mind-Of-Slime&p=931411#post931411

This is the kind of video I watch, ones that increase my knowledge and understanding.
bi
Research into slime mold that exhibits cognition ad learning, a precursor to the animal brain. An objective scientific look at the possible origins of 'mind' and 'consciousness' that go back to early organisms.

Yeah, I love that documentary, watched it multiple times already. Might be one of my favorite documentaries actually.
Well you can learn plenty from documentaries. But you learn quite a lot from listening to lectures by professors, which is what I shared earlier.
So if you don't consider lectures a kind of video that increases your knowledge and understanding, I'm a bit shocked.

As far as I know slime molds does not have the same kind of intelligence as goes on in our brains and would therefore not be related to it.
Slime molds lack neurons, they find paths more by how nutrients and chemicals are transported within it, and can thereby optimize itself to find its way through a maze etc. Very different from a neural network like a brain.
What's more interesting is the ants nest, where you have actual neural networks (ant brains) divided up into thousands of ants, where single ants are not very intelligent, but the nest is far more intelligent and aware of its surroundings.
They create a swarm intelligence together. What's already been discussed in this thread is whether the ants nest as a whole has a higher consciousness than the individual ants. What do you think?

And you're wrong, research about slime molds is about intelligence, not about consciousness.
So I think if you're gonna participate in this thread you should be aware of what we are discussing.
We are discussing the hard problem of consciousness.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_problem_of_consciousness
Not behavior, not intelligence. Consciousness.

Back
Top Bottom